-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV-Home theater Suggestions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 WillH

WillH

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 01:01 PM

Hi, this is my first post, so please forgive me if I make any rookie mistakes. I know very little about home theaters and I was hoping to get your opinion on several items.

Televisions
Samsung TXM-3096WHF $899
Toshiba 32AF42 $650
Sony KV-32FS100 $750

I don't know whether I should get the widescreen Samsung or the toshiba/sony. I would mostly be using the tv for dvd's and ps2. I don't think HDTV is very important for me right now, but maybe in the future?

Also, I know you guys don't like all in one home theaters but since I do not know enough about this stuff I think that is my only option. What do you guys feel about these?

Onkyo HT-S755DVC $899
Onkyo LS-V950 $899
Sony DAV-C990 $700

I read some other posts and people seem to favor the onkyos over the sony, but I would be able to get the sony for a little less. I appreciate everyone's help in this. Thanks in advance!!!

Will

#2 of 5 Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 04:23 PM

Welcome, Will:
When I was shopping for my RPTV, one of my buddies who is a repair tech, suggested the widescreen models because the regular 4:3 units will most certainly be obsolete within a few years. He supported this by telling me that when he had to repair his 5 year old RCA RPTV he had a bugger of a time finding parts. An isolated incident, perhaps, but I do not doubt it will be a trend that continues in the future.
I ended up getting a Toshiba 57HDX82. Even though HDTV is not a priority with me at all, I found that this purchase was well worth it to see how DVDs are played.
I rave about this TV every chance I get.
Good luck with your searchPosted Image

Roy
I have a subwoofer! I have to watch EVERY movie I own AGAIN!!

#3 of 5 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 04:45 PM

Step right in, Will. Henceforth be guided by your friends at HTF: Besides being HD-capable and the correct aspect ratio, the Samsung can render your DVDs in 480p. After viewing DVDs in prog scan there's no going back. JB

#4 of 5 WillH

WillH

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I am leaning towards the Samsung based on your advice. I am only worried that 30" may be to small. I am having a hard time finding a larger 16:9 HDTV ready TV in my price range (800-1300). Does anyone have any suggestions in that price range? Thanks again!!!

#5 of 5 david*mt

david*mt

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 05:53 AM

Panasonic makes a 47'' Widescreen which can be found for under $1300 if you look around. I have heard that it is a great deal for the money and is much larger than the 30'' Samsung you mentioned. Here is the Panasonic I am referring too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/....category=11072