TV-Home theater Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by WillH, Apr 23, 2003.

1. WillH

WillH Auditioning

Hi, this is my first post, so please forgive me if I make any rookie mistakes. I know very little about home theaters and I was hoping to get your opinion on several items.

Televisions
    Samsung TXM-3096WHF $899
    Toshiba 32AF42 $650
    Sony KV-32FS100 $750

I don't know whether I should get the widescreen Samsung or the toshiba/sony. I would mostly be using the tv for dvd's and ps2. I don't think HDTV is very important for me right now, but maybe in the future?

Also, I know you guys don't like all in one home theaters but since I do not know enough about this stuff I think that is my only option. What do you guys feel about these?

Onkyo HT-S755DVC $899
    Onkyo LS-V950 $899
    Sony DAV-C990 $700

I read some other posts and people seem to favor the onkyos over the sony, but I would be able to get the sony for a little less. I appreciate everyone's help in this. Thanks in advance!!!

Will

2. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Welcome, Will:
    When I was shopping for my RPTV, one of my buddies who is a repair tech, suggested the widescreen models because the regular 4:3 units will most certainly be obsolete within a few years. He supported this by telling me that when he had to repair his 5 year old RCA RPTV he had a bugger of a time finding parts. An isolated incident, perhaps, but I do not doubt it will be a trend that continues in the future.
    I ended up getting a Toshiba 57HDX82. Even though HDTV is not a priority with me at all, I found that this purchase was well worth it to see how DVDs are played.
    I rave about this TV every chance I get.
    Good luck with your search[​IMG]

Roy

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Step right in, Will. Henceforth be guided by your friends at HTF: Besides being HD-capable and the correct aspect ratio, the Samsung can render your DVDs in 480p. After viewing DVDs in prog scan there's no going back. JB

4. WillH

WillH Auditioning

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I am leaning towards the Samsung based on your advice. I am only worried that 30" may be to small. I am having a hard time finding a larger 16:9 HDTV ready TV in my price range (800-1300). Does anyone have any suggestions in that price range? Thanks again!!!

5. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

Panasonic makes a 47'' Widescreen which can be found for under $1300 if you look around. I have heard that it is a great deal for the money and is much larger than the 30'' Samsung you mentioned. Here is the Panasonic I am referring too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11072