What's new

Potentially stupid question ahead: How do you install drivers on an IB? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I'm serious.

If I built a manifold, how could I ever hope to screw the drivers in it? Reason being, the screw holes would be inside the manifold.

Do you actually screw the things from the inside of the manifold outwards? Or have you installed the drivers outside of the manifold and bolted them with screws from the outside to the inside???

TIA!

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I bolted mine to the outside of the manifold. You would have to build a rather large manifold to fit those things through the inside. Plus, if you ever needed to remove one for some reason, you would have to take the whole thing down rather than just removing a driver.

Another thing, I took a cue from Thomas' construction and did not bolt directly through the driver frame. I used electrical conduit clips. Go look at the construction pages for ThomasW's massive IB and you'll see what I mean.

RG

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
I too bolted the drivers to the outside of the manifold.

I marked the holes using the drivers, drilled through the manifold wall, hammered in "T" nuts on the outside of the manifold, ran the bolts from the inside and screwed into the "T" nuts. That left me with very frimly mounted studs sticking out of the mainfold walls. Stuck the drivers on used flat washers and lock washers on each stud and 2 nuts on each stud.

It's been in place about 6 months and had a good bit of play (some QUITE loud). I was in the attic last weekend and checked all of the fasteners. None were loose at all

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I thought about installing them as you guys say - back to front, so to speak.

The thing is, when mounted conventionally, a driver has the gasket and the frame holding it to the MDF. When mounted "back to front", no gasket and no frame holds it - only the screws.

Furthermore, the gasket on my subwoofer is a bit weak - I'm pretty sure I'd damage it if I pressed it hard against the MDF.

Hmmm.... I have to think a bit more about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks