Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

No 30-day trial: bad?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   ShawnK

ShawnK

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 05:18 PM

If a store doesn't offer a 30-day trial, would it be unwise to buy from them? What if the new equipment doesn't match favourably with my current setup? How much of an issue could this be?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 05:59 PM

i absolutely would not buy from any store if they didn't offer some sort of money-back guarantee.

it doesn't necessarily have to be 30-days...i've seen 15 days...but it better be something.

and i'm not talking in-store credit either. i mean, 100% money back guarantee with no restocking fees.

any audio store worth it's salt knows that gear sounds different at home. i don't care what excuse they give you...if the gear doesn't work for you you shouldn't be stuck with it.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted April 13 2003 - 04:19 AM

This is usually one of the first questions I ask any store; What their in home demo policy is. The ones I continue to do business with are the ones that have a decent lending policy. It typically means you pay the whole price for an open box unit to demo at home for a week or so, with no questions asked when the unit is returned, as long as the unit is still in the same working order, and a full refund is given. Stores that won't lend with a policy something similar to this aren't worth my time or money.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Shawn_MM

Shawn_MM

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 03:13 AM

I agree with everyone else on this one. I was looking at purchasing new speakers a few months back and I was allowed to demo some Energy Cr3's, C1's and C7's. After a week I returned the speakers and went with a different company a week later (Def. Tech's). These were nice speakers BUT I dont think I would be as happy as I am right now.

ALSO some of these stores have SO MUCH MONEY invested in their demo rooms that it makes perfect sense to take them home.