-

Photo

"Un chien andalou" on dvd ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jan Andersen

Jan Andersen

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:02 AM

Is Buñuel's "Un chien andalou" out on dvd anywhere ?
"Do you think it's kind of dangerous handing out guns at a bank?"

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:30 AM

Jan, I'm not familiar with any DVD versions of "Un chien Andalou", currently or planned, but I'm talking R1/R0 only.

However -- and this is very exciting news -- Kino plans to release L'Age d'Or on DVD on July 8! If you're not familiar, this is Bunuel's followup to "Andalou", is feature-length and every bit as wildly surrealistic as his first film. Not as well-known today, but easily as scandalous as "Andalou" upon it's release... and, IMO, a superior film!

Of course, including "Un chien Andalou" as a bonus would certainly be nice!
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:37 AM

That's wonderful news! One would have hoped for a Criterion release but this will do. Hopefully the transfer will be up to scratch.
Fielding Mellish: "We fell in love. Well, I fell in love - she just stood there."
-Bananas (1971)

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Jan Andersen

Jan Andersen

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:43 AM

Great news.

I haven't even seen "Un chien andalou", but was intrigued by the two short clips that's on Criterion's "Spellbound".
"Do you think it's kind of dangerous handing out guns at a bank?"

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
Kino plans to release L'Age d'Or on DVD on July 8!

Great news!

Jan, the Criterion DVD release of Bunuel's "Discrete Charm of the Bourgoise" includes a stunning feature length documentary about Bunuel that includes scenes from a lot of his early work, including Un Chien Andalou and L'Age d'Or.

I understand that there may be rights/legal issues preventing it from happening, but it would make amazing sense for Kino to somehow be able to include Un chien andalou as an extra.

~j

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:24 AM

You wanted Un Chien Andalou? Well, you got it!! Posted Image
"If we are all God's children, then what is so special about Jesus?"

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 01:48 AM

Whoah! I don't have a japanese language set installed at work, can anyone tell whether that's region 0? (I presume it's NTSC, right?)
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 04:45 AM

Quote (originally posted by Rich Malloy):

"However -- and this is very exciting news -- Kino plans to release L'AGE D'OR on DVD on July 8! If you're not familiar, this is Bunuel's followup to ANDALOU, is feature-length and every bit as wildly surrealistic as his first film. Not as well-known today, but easily as scandalous as ANDALOU upon it's release... and, IMO, a superior film!

Of course, including UN CHIEN ANDALOU as a bonus would certainly be nice!"

Unfortunately, I believe I'll be the bearer of sad news! Just yesterday I e-mailed Kino asking about their upcoming L'AGE D'OR (1930) DVD, specifically in regards to what supplements they were planning, and this is what they replied:

"L'AGE D'OR is now postponed till around November as we are checking material and trying to find things to go with it.

UN CHIEN is already taken but there are many other interesting things we might put with it."

This is in itself not ALL bad, as it seems that they at least do not intend to release a bare-bones DVD, which would be a wasted opportunity, considering the controversy which greeted the film's release, its importance in Bunuel's canon, and also the fact that it is barely over an hour long!

I just have to wonder at this point: who owns UN CHIEN ANDALOU (1929)?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 05:55 AM

L'AGE D'OR is now postponed till around November

The Down side--Disappointing news about the delay. Also, Un Chien Andalou would have been the perfect pairing with L'Age d'Or. I'm also curious about who has the rights to Un Chien Andalou (please let it be Criterion--maybe to supplement a release like Tristana!).

The Up side--the delay gives me more cash to spend on the Chaplin releases . . .

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 01:57 AM

Land Without Bread would also go well with Un Chien Andalou.
Fielding Mellish: "We fell in love. Well, I fell in love - she just stood there."
-Bananas (1971)