"Un chien andalou" on dvd ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jan Andersen, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Jan Andersen

Jan Andersen Extra

Is Buñuel's "Un chien andalou" out on dvd anywhere ?

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Jan, I'm not familiar with any DVD versions of "Un chien Andalou", currently or planned, but I'm talking R1/R0 only.

However -- and this is very exciting news -- Kino plans to release L'Age d'Or on DVD on July 8! If you're not familiar, this is Bunuel's followup to "Andalou", is feature-length and every bit as wildly surrealistic as his first film. Not as well-known today, but easily as scandalous as "Andalou" upon it's release... and, IMO, a superior film!

Of course, including "Un chien Andalou" as a bonus would certainly be nice!

3. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

That's wonderful news! One would have hoped for a Criterion release but this will do. Hopefully the transfer will be up to scratch.

4. Jan Andersen

Jan Andersen Extra

Great news.

I haven't even seen "Un chien andalou", but was intrigued by the two short clips that's on Criterion's "Spellbound".

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

6. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

You wanted Un Chien Andalou? Well, you got it!! [​IMG]

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Whoah! I don't have a japanese language set installed at work, can anyone tell whether that's region 0? (I presume it's NTSC, right?)

8. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

Quote (originally posted by Rich Malloy):

"However -- and this is very exciting news -- Kino plans to release L'AGE D'OR on DVD on July 8! If you're not familiar, this is Bunuel's followup to ANDALOU, is feature-length and every bit as wildly surrealistic as his first film. Not as well-known today, but easily as scandalous as ANDALOU upon it's release... and, IMO, a superior film!

Of course, including UN CHIEN ANDALOU as a bonus would certainly be nice!"

Unfortunately, I believe I'll be the bearer of sad news! Just yesterday I e-mailed Kino asking about their upcoming L'AGE D'OR (1930) DVD, specifically in regards to what supplements they were planning, and this is what they replied:

"L'AGE D'OR is now postponed till around November as we are checking material and trying to find things to go with it.

UN CHIEN is already taken but there are many other interesting things we might put with it."

This is in itself not ALL bad, as it seems that they at least do not intend to release a bare-bones DVD, which would be a wasted opportunity, considering the controversy which greeted the film's release, its importance in Bunuel's canon, and also the fact that it is barely over an hour long!

I just have to wonder at this point: who owns UN CHIEN ANDALOU (1929)?

9. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

The Down side--Disappointing news about the delay. Also, Un Chien Andalou would have been the perfect pairing with L'Age d'Or. I'm also curious about who has the rights to Un Chien Andalou (please let it be Criterion--maybe to supplement a release like Tristana!).

The Up side--the delay gives me more cash to spend on the Chaplin releases . . .

10. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Land Without Bread would also go well with Un Chien Andalou.