-

Photo
- - - - -

drywall vs ceiling tile

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   William A

William A

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:27 AM

I would appreciate thoughts on using drywall or suspended ceiling tile on a basement HT project. I thinking ceiling tile will allow access to utilities, easy of running future wires, and the potential to install fiber optics. I do plan on a 8" riser for the second row of seats and believe the ceiling must be 4" down from the ceiling joist.
The ceiling height is 9' 2" from concrete to ceiling joist, with one beam across the room at a height of 8'.

My main concerns are what is the acoustic difference between the two, and will there be any visual obstruction for the second row of seats?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor

• 969 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 08:25 AM

I don't plan on doing conventional suspended ceiling in my Home Theater... mainly because I'm worried about the tiles vibrating.

However you can get tiled ceilings where the tiles screw into place. I'm either going that route or Drywall.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Webb

Patrick Webb

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 09:57 AM

Brian,

I am interested to see more info on the ceiling tiles that can be screwed. Do you have any links?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 11:17 AM

I've heard of some people filling up small sandwich bags with sand and placing them on top of their ceiling tiles to stop vibration.

I put in drywall.
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   JayDaniel

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 07:45 AM

Armstrong has acoustical ceiling panels that have fiberglass insulation on the back. They are more soundproof than regular tiles, and I can't imaging they would vibrate given the material (flexible with fiberglass backing).

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronnie Highnote

Ronnie Highnote

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 10:29 AM

You also may be interested in the Alpha Midnight Tiles available from Acoustic Solutions. They have a sound barrier material in them, and are already black which is even better for eilminating light reflection (especially if your using a ceiling mounted projector).

http://www.acoustica....hamidnight.asp[/url]

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 03:49 AM

I've been trying to decide between ceiling tiles or drywall. I can go either way, but what provides the best acoustical properties for a home theater? Some have said that ceiling tiles will absorb too much of the sound.