Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Farscape Box Sets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 10:21 PM

I've been hooked on this show for quite some time now and I just ordered the first season box set. I was curious if they planned on doing sets for the other seasons or just leaving it as is. my main reason for asking is cause I think it's a far better deal when I bought this set opposed too just buying it disc by disc. PLus you get the box.
THanks

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Ryan Petrich

Ryan Petrich

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:32 AM

Good post Chad, I think I'll go out and buy it based on your recommendation!

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:33 AM

As far as I know, yes.

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Christopher E

Christopher E

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:59 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread but...

Has anyone seen the Farscape Season 1 Box set anywhere in Canada, or are they just available in the U.S.?

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   Terry St

Terry St

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
I've been hooked on this show for quite some time now and I just ordered the first season box set.

You are in for a real treat. The image and sound quality on these DVD's are simply superb for a TV-series.

Quote:
I was curious if they planned on doing sets for the other seasons or just leaving it as is.

I think the season two box set is being released next month, in Australia at least. I have one on preorder. Posted Image I haven't found any release dates for the remaining seasons though. Hopefully sales of the first set were high enough for them to accellerate the release schedule of the remaining seasons similar to how Babylon 5 is being done.

Quote:
Has anyone seen the Farscape Season 1 Box set anywhere in Canada, or are they just available in the U.S.?

I haven't seen the Season 1 box set in any stores in Canada, but I believe www.dvdsoon.com carries it. It's probably expensive enough to qualify for free shipping in Canada.

However, if you have a region free PAL capable player, you might consider ordering them from Australia. They're something like $120 AUD, which works out to be cheaper than ordering them from dvdsoon even after the disgusting shipping fees.

As far as I'm concerned the remaining seasons can't come soon enough. I've missed a good number of episodes because of the way this show gets continually shuffled around on the one cable station I get that carries it.

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 10:36 AM

The R4 set even has three exlusive commentaries.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Chad E

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:25 PM

Quote:

The only store I have seen this set in is at Cinema 1. They sell it for $179.99.

I keep hoping Future Shop will get it, because I'm sure it would be less expensive there if they ever carried it. But they've never carried it, although they supposedly had the "Best of Season 1" set. As well, FS hasn't got a new Farscape disc in since Vol 2.1.

Anyone know why the Farscape discs are so exceedingly rare in Canada?

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 07:57 PM

I suppose just cause there isn't a high demand for them. Plus, I'm finding that Future Shop is carrying more new releases and under $20 titles and the rest can not be found there. I used dvdpricesearch.com to find the best price for myself. I'm hoping by the time I'm done this set thought that a box will be announced for the other seasons. I think I'm saving a decent amount of Potch(money) by getting the box set.
Thanks

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   Freddie A

Freddie A

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:38 AM

Love the show, but come on ADV Films. All they did was take the 6 seperate season 1 DVDs and through a slip case around them and then set the retail price at $149.00. 2 episodes per disc, good lord.

The X-Files was the first to set the standard. 4 episodes per disc, another disc full of extras, and cool packaging.

Posted Image

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 03:33 AM

Quote:
Love the show, but come on ADV Films. All they did was take the 6 seperate season 1 DVDs and through a slip case around them and then set the retail price at $149.00. 2 episodes per disc, good lord.

They didn't have a whole lot of choice on the two ep per disc. Farscape was apparently rather expensive to bring to home video, with all the fingers that are in the pie of that show. Probably would be easier for Fox, since they own the whole shebang. Also, the discs had some pretty decent extras on them, including comentary tracks.

I'm just glad the whole season is now available for a more reasonable price.

Jason

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 03:49 AM

If you look worldwide, regardless who's doing them they follow the same release pattern on Farscape as well.

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:03 AM

ADV isn't releasing the R2 discs of Farscape?

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 04:06 AM

Contender releases Farscape in the UK and they have 5 2-disc sets a years too, although the episodes per disc is different. Australia has Universal releasing it in full season sets only.

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   Terry St

Terry St

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 06:10 AM

Quote:
The only store I have seen this set in is at Cinema 1. They sell it for $179.99.

Holy Ripoff Batman! DVDSoon has it for about $126.98 CAD with free shipping, and their prices, while good, typically aren't the cheapest. (They're usually competitive once you figure in shipping.) With prices that far outta whack that store had better be serving chilled oysters and prime rib at the door!

If you seriously have something against e-tailers then I suggest you just order it in at a store like A&B Sound.

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   Bill Harris

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 09:26 AM

A&B Sound doesnt carry Farscape or other ADV titles to my knowledge. Ive tried many times to order Farscape or certain anime titles to find out they arent even in there system. I usually get my Farscape and ADV anime titles off CNL.com.

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   Bill Harris

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 09:35 AM

nasty double post Posted Image

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   Chad E

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Holy Ripoff Batman!

Well, Cinema 1 is hideously overpriced on, well... pretty much everything they sell.

Quote:
DVDSoon has it for about $126.98 CAD with free shipping, and their prices, while good, typically aren't the cheapest. (They're usually competitive once you figure in shipping.)

Posted Image $126.98?!? Thanks for the tip, Terry... that's the lowest price I've ever seen!! ...and free shipping to boot! That's more in my price-range. Posted Image

Quote:
If you seriously have something against e-tailers then I suggest you just order it in at a store like A&B Sound.

I'm not sure if you meant that for me or Christopher, but I personally have nothing against e-tailers. It's just that none of the online stores I usually check (amazon.ca, DVDBoxOffice, DV-Depot) offer any significant savings over the Cinema 1 price... which is why I still don't have the set. Posted Image

(Although I thought I read here at HTF that the style of hubs used in this set was more likely to produce floaters during shipping? But if it means saving $50, I'll takes me chances! Posted Image )

Quote:
With prices that far outta whack that store had better be serving chilled oysters and prime rib at the door!

Posted Image Sadly, no....

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted April 10 2003 - 11:10 PM

The initial releases of Farscape by Contender in the UK did not include any commentaries, but they have now released a Series 1 boxset (repackaged and really nice) which includes all the extras from the R1 sets. I expect they will release a Series 2 box soon after they have finished their Season 4 2disc sets

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   Terry St

Terry St

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted April 11 2003 - 02:00 AM

Here's a link to one australian store that is now taking pre-orders for the Farscape Season 2 box set.

It appears to be scheduled for release on May 7.

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 11:50 PM

It's been a few months and Farscape Season 2 still seems to only be available as 5 2-disc sets. Any updates on this?
My Collection

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow