What's new

Farscape Box Sets (1 Viewer)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Thats interesting. I was watching Season 3 Disc 2 this morning and noticed that my iScan Pro had the Film Mode light on. So it was picking up a 2:3 cadence.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
So,

if farscape was shot 25 fps film...then yes that would transfer easily to PAL natively with no speed up.

Then, it seems the NTSC DVDs are produced from that same film-source...and slowed down 4% to a 24 fps rate...so that the can be transfered directly to NTSC without some strange frame-conversion processing (which would NOT be a good thing!!!). This naturally would slow the audio down by a slight but perceptable degree from the film-source and PAL reference.

What would be nice is if the *freqency* response could be raised to make it correct but still allow the film-NTSC conversion to take place at 24 fps. It's a compromise but a necessary one...any electronic dropping of frames etc. would result in compromise in image quality and also make syncing audio difficult during disc production.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I thought I saw a strange mixed cadence as described. I won't be home tonite, but this week I'll pull out some discs and check out the cadence. I'll check an early Season I, a late Season I, and a Season II disc.

It's possible there have been two or more ways used at various points in DVD production for the series.

Joel C

Screenwriter
By that time, Season 3 volume 5 will be out, so it looks like they are trying to keep the individual releases a year behind the series. At this rate, season 4 in a box will follow the individual volumes by about 18 months.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Ideally, I would have liked ADV to release Farscape like SG-1, a box set followed by individual releases instead of the total opposite way they're doing it now.

Also, Season 3 Volume 4 is coming out tomorrow.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Disc art for the Season 2 box set is up at ADV's website. The only weird thing is it says 10 discs in six cases - there were only five releases so maybe it's a typo.

Joel C

Screenwriter
There were five 2 disc releases, ten discs total. For the box sets, they use double amarays instead of thick double alphas, and use 6, two in five and the last one, one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks