Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Question about "Cloudy" DVD's

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 02:38 AM

I apologize if this is in the wrong section or if this has been covered previously but I couldn't find anything in a search. Is there any reason to replace a DVD that has a "cloudy" spot on the playing surface if the DVD itself plays correctly? I noticed that my ARMY OF DARKNESS DVD is like this as well as some others. I don't know if this will somehow make it more succeptable to rot later on. Thanks! Matt
Hong Kong DVD Reviews and News
http://www.loveandbullets.com

New Jersey Punk Rock
http://www.NJPUNKONLINE.COM

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 05:05 AM

Cloudy spots mean nothing. Don't worry about it

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 05:30 AM

Cool. Thanks! Matt
Hong Kong DVD Reviews and News
http://www.loveandbullets.com

New Jersey Punk Rock
http://www.NJPUNKONLINE.COM

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 09:04 AM

I, and I've been in DVD for a few years, was wondering this too. Several of my last DVD's have had the cloudy under surface. Glad to know it's nothing.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 10:41 AM

From Jim Taylor's DVD FAQ:

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 06:57 PM

Unfortunatly this is untrue.
I've had a few dvds "rot" and each one had the cloudy-looking "stain or blotch" on the back...
Army of Darkness was one of them. (the anchor bay thx-certified theatrical version)
Also, I noticed that my copy of American Beauty is starting to show signs of rot. I watched the movie about a week ago, and everything was fine. I then decided to watch the "...look closer" documentary and a few parts had major breakup-pixilation. This pissed me off, i ejected the dvd and sure enough -- the back of the disc is starting to cloud up.
[quote] Is there any reason to replace a DVD that has a "cloudy" spot on the playing surface if the DVD itself plays correctly? [quote]
I wouldn't replace the dvd unless it started to give you problems, but hey who knows?
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach...all the damn vampires..."

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 11:06 PM

Ryan, did you ever have a DVD that "rotted" which did NOT have the cloudy appearance? Perhaps there's no actual connection. I have 1,998 discs, including the often-maligned-due-to-"rot" Contact, and have yet to have a single DVD suffer from "rot". A LOT of my discs have the cloudy appearance; no ill-affects yet (after 3 years of collecting).
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 12:51 AM

I've noticed the cloud effect on many of my discs, but as yet I've had no playback problems. For some reason, it seems more common on my MGM titles than anything else ( mostly region 2 editions ). What's this rumour about Contact being liable to rot and does this only apply to the US version? Contact was the first disc I bought ( back in 1999 ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users