What's new

Question about "Cloudy" DVD's (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I apologize if this is in the wrong section or if this has been covered previously but I couldn't find anything in a search.

Is there any reason to replace a DVD that has a "cloudy" spot on the playing surface if the DVD itself plays correctly? I noticed that my ARMY OF DARKNESS DVD is like this as well as some others. I don't know if this will somehow make it more succeptable to rot later on.

Thanks!

Matt

Ike

Screenwriter
I, and I've been in DVD for a few years, was wondering this too. Several of my last DVD's have had the cloudy under surface. Glad to know it's nothing.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunatly this is untrue.
I've had a few dvds "rot" and each one had the cloudy-looking "stain or blotch" on the back...
Army of Darkness was one of them. (the anchor bay thx-certified theatrical version)
Also, I noticed that my copy of American Beauty is starting to show signs of rot. I watched the movie about a week ago, and everything was fine. I then decided to watch the "...look closer" documentary and a few parts had major breakup-pixilation. This pissed me off, i ejected the dvd and sure enough -- the back of the disc is starting to cloud up.
Is there any reason to replace a DVD that has a "cloudy" spot on the playing surface if the DVD itself plays correctly?
I wouldn't replace the dvd unless it started to give you problems, but hey who knows?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, did you ever have a DVD that "rotted" which did NOT have the cloudy appearance?

Perhaps there's no actual connection.

I have 1,998 discs, including the often-maligned-due-to-"rot" Contact, and have yet to have a single DVD suffer from "rot". A LOT of my discs have the cloudy appearance; no ill-affects yet (after 3 years of collecting).

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I've noticed the cloud effect on many of my discs, but as yet I've had no playback problems. For some reason, it seems more common on my MGM titles than anything else ( mostly region 2 editions ).
What's this rumour about Contact being liable to rot and does this only apply to the US version? Contact was the first disc I bought ( back in 1999 ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks