-

Photo

The Complete Mr. Bean 4/29 - not so complete after all?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#41 of 135 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 08:18 AM

*Add On*

I just sent a reply off to Bill Hunt at the Digital Bits. Hopefully he's a fellow Bean fan with an A&E contact to help direct our frustration too Posted Image.

#42 of 135 OFFLINE   Peter Canavese

Peter Canavese

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 08:35 AM

Here's what I sent A&E Home Video--please flood them!

I was profoundly disappointed to discover that "Complete Bean" has been edited and does not represent the complete original programs. This does a disservice to the art and artists, as well as to the audience to whom these programs mean a great deal. My excitement to collect, at last, Mr. Bean from A&E on DVD turned to frustration and apprehension about purchasing any further DVD products from A&E for fear that they have been edited from their intended form. I wholly oppose any such editing, just as I oppose widescreen movies being cropped--to me, edited material becomes unwatchable. Please rectify the "Complete Bean" by offering a corrected disc or discs as needed to replace the improper ones. I hope A&E will earn the gratefulness of its loyal consumers by doing the right thing.

#43 of 135 ONLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,512 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 10:57 AM

NEWS!!!

I called a person in charge at A&E and explained the situation.

I was told that I was going to get a phone call and e-mail on Monday, since the set is not officially out yet till Tuesday, and that they have no knowledge of this problem.

I was also told not to give out this persons e-mail and phone number/extension on here, untill this person finds out the problem.

But I did direct her to the home theater forum website and to its thread, so she can see for herself, about peoples complaints.

all-banner.jpg

#44 of 135 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 11:17 AM

This is extremely bad news.
Wonder if the R2 version happens to be complete! In that case, I need to order that one.

I really was going to buy the R1 version ... oh, well...

Cees

#45 of 135 OFFLINE   Paul.Mc

Paul.Mc

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 12:13 PM

Gee. A&E strikes again. First, their lame excuses for the "Monty Python's Flying Circus" cuts and now this...

#46 of 135 OFFLINE   Curtis T

Curtis T

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 04:37 PM

Someone on DVDTalk has confirmed that their German R2/R4 set does not have any cuts. It includes all the complete episodes.

#47 of 135 OFFLINE   Curtis T

Curtis T

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 04:49 PM

Quote:
But I did direct her to the home theater forum website and to its thread, so she can see for herself, about peoples complaints

You should also direct her to the DVDTalk forum as well where there are many many more complaints.

Quote:
I was told that I was going to get a phone call and e-mail on Monday, since the set is not officially out yet till Tuesday, and that they have no knowledge of this problem.

I am looking forward to hearing what you find out on Monday concerning this problem. Please keep us posted.
Right now I'm pretty ticked off about this especially since I'm a huge Mr.Bean fan who has been waiting over 2 years for this set.

#48 of 135 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 26 2003 - 04:52 PM

Sigh. Another very-much-wanted DVD set that will remain on the store shelf. Posted Image

When are the studios going to hire some quality assurance staff worth their salary? Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#49 of 135 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 06:56 PM

What's wrong with Monty Python?
My Collection

#50 of 135 ONLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,512 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 08:33 PM

Quote:
You should also direct her to the DVDTalk forum as well where there are many many more complaints.

I did that too!Posted Image

Quote:
I am looking forward to hearing what you find out on Monday concerning this problem. Please keep us posted.

Monday is my day off, so once I get a e-mail or call or BOTH, I will post a reply

I was at work today, thinking about this altered version, and it just made me more mad.

I can't even watch "Do it Yourself Bean"

I might just have to order the Region 2's if A&E doesn't rectify the problem

all-banner.jpg

#51 of 135 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 12:06 AM

I posted a new thread in the Regional Area, in an attempt to compile data about other versions. If you know anything useful about it, please post it there!

(And that thread has a link to this one, so you can come back afterwards the easy way, if you so wish Posted Image. )

Cees

#52 of 135 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 12:56 AM

Can anyone post a link to these discussions on the DVDTalkForum? I did a search for Bean, and it didn't have anything pop up.

#53 of 135 OFFLINE   Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 02:58 AM

http://www.dvdtalk.c....hreadid=288613

#54 of 135 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 06:01 AM

Hmm, I wonder if A &E refused to fix it, we could get 'em for false advertising. Afterall, they are releasing 'The COMPLETE' Bean.

#55 of 135 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 06:36 AM

I wish I would have known this before I preordered it. This has already been shipped to me and now I want the region 2 set without the cuts.

Maybe they'll let us exchange the edited version if they were to re-release the "complete and unedited version".

Thanks A&E Posted Image

#56 of 135 OFFLINE   Paul.Mc

Paul.Mc

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 06:59 AM

As provided by user cloggedmind in the DVDTalk thread mentioned above, here is what is wrong with the Monty Python DVD's:

Quote:
In the Monty Python sets, in particular - not only did they use the famous "summarize proust" bbc-censored sketch, as well as a couple of other episodes with senselessly missing material (whole sketches and age-old bbc-censor bleeps) that is/are present in other versions, (*ahem* Paramount VHS and LD *ahem*), the one that really burns me up is the missing "You b*stard!" from the end of "Parrot Sketch Not Included"! It's supposed to be the last thing you hear after the programme fades to black and, I mean, come on! It was Graham Chapman's last ever speaking part in a sketch! Why cut THAT out?

With the feedback forums on their website, A&E completely fobbed off angry fans on their message boards with some rubbish about not having any other master tapes to work with. Angry posts were eventually ignored, then, deleted as soon as they were posted. In short, I can say with confidence from past experience, that A&E have knowingly released "faulty" and incomplete products in the past and, as we will probably see in this case, still have no intentions of putting things right.

#57 of 135 ONLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,512 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
Afterall, they are releasing 'The COMPLETE' Bean.

That's where it really angers me, it feels like we've been deputed

all-banner.jpg

#58 of 135 OFFLINE   Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 01:29 PM

Posted Image

Thank you to those who have got the set and watched it already!!!

My Pre-order hasn't come yet, but I'm really getting tired of these boxset screw ups !! Why are these releases full of blemishes??? I will certainly write A&E about this if they don't get replacement discs issued pronto!

#59 of 135 OFFLINE   Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 02:52 PM

Quote:
Afterall, they are releasing 'The COMPLETE' Bean.

Actually the correct title is "The Whole Bean". At least that what the box shots I've seen have said.

#60 of 135 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 03:14 PM

Ok, so there are several cut scenes, but does anyone own the R4 boxset from Australia? I bought it more than half a year ago but it's still sealed, it has a bit different episode order and I think missing some bits of extras present on R1 set, so it's definetly a different release, maybe the episodes are complete?
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow