What's new

The Complete Mr. Bean 4/29 - not so complete after all? (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Mr. Bean's Red Nose Day
is a contribution to a bi-annual charity event in the UK called Comic Relief. As the contributors would have given their time for free, it is perhaps going to stop it appearing on a DVD compilation.

For example the (in)famous Dr Who skit 'Dimensions In Time' from another charity event Children in Need will never appear on home video as that was one of the conditions arranged with acting union Equity for the actors providing their time for free. But the Rowen Atkinson starring 'Curse of Fatal Death' for another Comic Relief did get released on home video with all the profits going to the charity.

It is possible A&E have negotiated for this to appear in the Bean collection, but it is not listed in the specs (it is only 6 mins). If so, I would imagine some money would have been paid to Comic Relief.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
"Good night Mr. Bean"?

I distinctly remember it being called "Premiere".

doesn't seem complete without it.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Too bad they couldn't have included with Rowan Atkinson live. That was a great stage show, but I'm happy with this release :).

Zane Charron

Second Unit
The 'Queen' skit and 'Hair by Mr. Bean of London' are both on the German R2 set, and as it looks exactly the same as the US R1 set, they will in all probability be on there, just under a different skit name.

Have no fear.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
This is taken from my A&E press release:
-A 40 min documentary "The Story of Mr. Bean"
-Never-before-seen-on-TV skits "The Bus Stop" and "The Library
-Comic relief sketches "Blind Date" and "Torvill & Bean"
-Mr. Bean Animated Series trailer
-An Atkinson biography and filmography

A&E will also be releasing the animated series, but no date has been set.

Gord

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well,
I picked this set up today(22nd), yep! a week early.
A very nice set for any Bean fan

Sarah S

Second Unit
I so wish for "Curse of the Fatal Death" as well. I've seen this thanks to Anglicon (convention of Anglophiles).

"Look, the Master's got breasts!"
"No I don't! They're Dalek bumps!"

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I preordered this yesterday. I haven't seen all of the episodes but the ones that I've seen are absolutely hilarious.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Damn. I went to the store one week to late.. Looks like I 'll have to wait till next Week to get it like everyone else.

Curtis T

Grip
Here is what another person wrote at DVDTalk :

I am so upset right now I can't even tell you. I just got Mr Bean The Whole Bean box set the other day (gotta love pre-ordering from deepdiscountdvd) and watched the first dvd last night. Very enjoyable.
Just started the second dvd tonight and too my horror noticed a cut during Merry Christmas Mr Bean. I'm a rapid Mr Bean fan from way back. I have all the shows on video (taped off PBS years ago) and also have every ep on vcd. I even have some Mr Bean collectibles like his car from Corgi and 2 editions of his diary. So when I heard it was finally coming on dvd in the USA I was glad I held off on buying the foriegn edition dvds.
As I was watching the Christmas episode (my fave) I was horror struck to notice that the scene where Mr Bean actually "buys" the turkey was not there. Remember, he wins (by cheating with a scale) the turkey from a vendor offering a contest, guess the wieght of the turkey and win it. This scene was nowhere to be found.

Ughhh. I'm so upset that my most wanted dvds (no exaggeration) has cuts. I have no idea if the scene was cut out of the American video versions that have been around for years.

Does anyone know what's up with this. I actually couldn't concentrate watching the rest of the show and had to stop and come here and post, which I never do.

A Sad Bean Fan

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I would just like to CONFIRM that the cut "weight gussing of the turkey" scene ISN'T on the DVD.

Well, I just fired off an e-mail to A&E dept.
Hopefully I'll get a timely reply

Curtis T

Grip
I wrote an email to the studio (A&E Home Video) but that's not going to change what's already on the DVD. (or actually what's NOT on it)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
but that's not going to change what's already on the DVD.
Yeah, but could this be an overlooked issue?
Could they have used some sort of altered version when mastering the DVD, and just not really know???

Also, would it be possible for an admin. to maybe change the heading to " HAS BEEN CUT" or something to that effect

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
ANOTHER CUT EPISODE!!!!!

I just noticed another cut. It's in the episode "Do It Yourself Mr Bean" (the New Years eve one), where he goes to buy a recliner at a New Years day sale. The whole bit in the store where he finds the recliner he wants, but see's some old couple interested in it, and Mr Bean tampers with the recliners mechanism causing it to squish the old lady. All of that is missing. It goes from where he enters the store, then to already having the recliner ontop of his car.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK folks, I'm seriously determined to buy this set, but all of these cuts are making me wonder if it's worth the money? Maby I should just stick with the Best of Bean compilation DVD, because it sounds like they are using the clips from this disc instead of the complete episodes.

So, where can we complain to A&E, so they can exchange our soon to be bought discs with COMPLETE episodes of the series?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks