Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPL Mod. Panasonic mic upgrade-who wants in......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted January 10 2003 - 06:27 PM

There are a few guys who want to do this but the min. order with Digikey is $25. The more we get in the cheaper it will be. Unless............
Some nice person here has a spare WM-61A they would sell me Posted Image
It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have had a good pair of speakers at all !!!

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Ben Ven

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted January 10 2003 - 10:36 PM

I'm in. I was thinking of doing this over the holidays, but I was just too busy. Are you ordering just the mic element?

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted January 11 2003 - 08:12 AM

Hi Ben,
As of now I think we are just ordering the mic. The main post is here so you can see what we are trying to do. I would post a reply there as well saying you are in. Posted Image

http://www.madisound....gi?read=231308
It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have had a good pair of speakers at all !!!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   JayDaniel

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted January 15 2003 - 01:46 AM

Hey Chris, can you explain why you would want to do this mod? Is it to an SPL meter? I'm confused (not an uncommon thing).

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted January 15 2003 - 06:08 PM

Hi Jay,
The stock analog RS SPL meter rolls off the bass somewhere around 35Hz and rolls off the treble at 10kHz. This modification makes the electronics flat over the entire audible range for the "C" setting of the A/C switch. After performing this modification, direct meter readings should be accurate for SPL measurements down to 20Hz as well as up to 20kHz.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   JayDaniel

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted January 16 2003 - 08:36 AM

Chris - I'm intersted in this mod since I own a Rad. Shack meter. How difficult is the mod, and what is the procedure?

Thanks.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted January 17 2003 - 02:43 AM

I, too, might be interested in this depending on how complex the procedure is. Any more info available on that?
Blücher!

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Ben Ven

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted January 17 2003 - 08:08 AM

Jay, Robert,

Check this link out

http://www.gti.net/w....0/33-2050.html

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted January 18 2003 - 01:08 AM

Thanks, Ben.

I'll be the first to say that the procedure looks a little beyond my comfort zone, so I guess I'm out.
Blücher!

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 10:20 AM

Ben, Jay, or anybody else who wan't one LMK. I have some on order. Send me $4-$4.75 (depending where you live) to cover padded envelopes & shipping & I'll send you one. They will be the WM-61A. (unless you really want the WM-60A)

Pete Mazz - IOU, LMK if you want a WM-61A. This ones on me Posted Image

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Chris, but I've got a calibrated mic already.

And I haven't forgotten the cal file for you. I started working on it the other day again. I've got some ideas to try first, and then get the equipment set up.

Pete

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 11:27 AM

Say chris Im in too as I have a Rat Shack spl meter also, btw you still coming to the Great State this weekend?Posted Image
Ducit Amor Patriae
Non Nobis Domine, Non Nobis Sed Nominee Tuo Da Gloriam
Deo Vindice

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Ben Ven

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 01:08 PM

Chris, thanks but no thanks. Believe it or not,I just did the mod last week! I ordered a bunch of other stuff from DigiKey. I also made a jig for Speaker Workshop. What a neat piece of software.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 10:02 PM

Mark,
You were going to get a free one no matter what Posted Image. Hell, I was looking forward to a comparison between it and your Clio mic. I guess I need to send you 2 now. Yes, I'll be in the Great State by 4pm. BTW, YGM...........

Pete, thanks again man. No rush though. I still don't know how to use my stuff properly yet Posted Image

Good deal Ben. SW is a great program!!!

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Ben Ven

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted May 02 2003 - 10:45 AM

Chris,

Do you use SW? If so, do you seem to get repeatable numbers?? I just starting using it and it seems to be OK in the repeatability/reproducibility area. Your thoughts....

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted May 04 2003 - 10:35 AM

I played with SW for the XO capabilities only. I didn't even realize it could do measurements. I take it that's what you were referring to (measurements - repeatability/reproducibility) so I can't accuratly comment on that aspect. I heard it was pretty good though. For what it cost's it's the best thing going!!! I JTBS pulled the trigger on LspCAD. Once I get that up & running 100% I just might for the hell of it learn how to use SW for measuring then compare the two. I'll do the same for the XO side as well.