What's new

Yamaha warranty like Denon? (1 Viewer)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
One Major difference I just found out about the RX-V's vs the HTR's to consider, The RX-V line features preouts for all channels of the reciever, the HTR's only feature a sub pre out, Which limits you if you ever plan on upgrading it to larger amps later in life.

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
You can get the RX line online as well, just without the manufacturer's warranty, but with the store's warranty.

For those who are really concerned, you can purchase an extended warranty and still save money over paying retail at a local B&M.

I was seriously looking at getting the RX-V1300 from an online retailer but decided to go with the HK for a number of reasons: - I love the HK sound; it had a coaxial digital out so I can hook it up to my PC via my Audiophile 2496 sound card; and it was a tad cheaper from an authorized dealer (while I'm willing to go unauthorized, I'm not a glutton for punishment ;) ).

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I went in to one of the local high end shops today and wow! They had receivers in the 200 Watt per channel range that started out at 4 grand. They did have some pretty reasonable used stuff though and the sales guy was pretty easy going. He was also about twenty years old and couldn't answer half of the questions I had for him. That really suprised me. I swear, I almost applied for a job. I'm still thinking about it actually. I did get turned on to the B&W 600 series speakers though. I was suprised to see that the only receivers even close to my price range were Pioneer Elites and Sony ES's. The others were unthinkable but it sure was nice to dream. The place was pretty busy so I did feel a little intimidated. I didn't want to waste too much of this guys time. I was happy when he took a phone call because I actually had a chance to wander around on my own a little. I really didn't touch anything though. :b SStill a little nervous I guess. Anyway, I took the first step and will be exploring a little more this weekend. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Yammy RX-V2300 for about 680.00 with a four year store policy. I like the onscreen feature and the macros on the remote as well as the zone 2 A/V capabilities. I won't buy for at least another week though just to be sure. Plus, I'm having way to much fun shopping these beauties. How can anyone feel like this is a hassle???

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Yes, I guess that makes perfect sense. Thank You. Now, should I argue this point when negotiating a price or should I cut out the specialty shop in this case and just buy the cheaper receiver? I like to support the smaller shops but what's the point if they are going to overcharge me for the same equipment. Capitalism at its finest eh?
Well, some people like to think that the small specialty shops provide services that an online shop could never do. Wanna listen to the reciever and compare it with others? Well, that's usually easy to do with a specialty store. They usually have well setup listening rooms. Even FutureShop doesn't really do this very well as they have all the receivers stacked in one isle and aren't even connected to speakers! If you have any questions the guys at the specialty shop tend to know their stuff. Also, if you have problems they can help you fix it. The shop I deal with will give me a loaner if I ever have to bring something in for warranty support. I really like the specialty shops, they're really friendly, no pressure and know me by name! Anyway, even at a specialty shop you should be able to get a good deal, at least 10% of MSRP for a receiver and 15-20% for speakers. If you continue going back and deal with the same salesman you'll see they will be more willing to give you great deals. Trade your loyalty for better prices. It works! Good luck.

- Mike

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Yammy RX-V2300 for about 680.00 with a four year store policy. I like the onscreen feature and the macros on the remote as well as the zone 2 A/V capabilities. I won't buy for at least another week though just to be sure. Plus, I'm having way to much fun shopping these beauties. How can anyone feel like this is a hassle???
Hey, good choice! I bought the RX-V2200 just before the RX-V2300 came out (grrrr). Not much difference really but I would have liked the 2300 as it has a tad more power and nicer front panel.

But to be honest, the best part about buying a new receiver (or anything related to audio) is walking into the shop and trying things out! I had sales guys demo Martin Logans worth over 11 grand. They knew I had no hope in hell of buying one but they seemed to enjoy it themselves. They even stayed late after hours demoing speakers I never could buy. It's fun, but it also makes you want to spend much more then you can spend. I remember when I went speaker shopping I just wanted a small bookshelf for my room, somthing cheap. I ended up with paradigm Studio 40's which were way over what I was planning to spend, but once I heard them I just had to have them! So anyway I've banned myself from entering any hi-fi shops until my back account has recovered... but I'm feeling tempted already! ;-)

- Mike

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
This is probably late and meaningless, but I think the HTR series also lack a 12 volt trigger.

Phil

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Cab you explain exactly what a 12 volt trigger is please? I don't think I know what it's function is but I see it in higher end receivers.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
A 12 Volt trigger is used to turn on other devices when the receiver is turned on. So if you're using external amplification then it makes sense to use your 12V trigger to turn on the amps when the receiver/pre-pro is turned on. Yamaha usually offers a 12V trigger with their receivers that have pre-amp outputs. The HTR5590 lacks pre-amp outputs and thus also lacks the 12V trigger.

So yeah, the HTR-5590 lacks the pre-amp outputs, 12V trigger and replacable power cord. The rest is the same with it's RX-V counter part. The 5590 seems to be the only HTR model that isn't a true clone of it's RX-V counter part. I'm guessing here, but I take it that Yamaha feels that people who buy at bargain outlets are less likely to care about external amplification so they may have removed those features to make it even more competitive with other receivers.

- Mike

RandyMe

Auditioning
Good Thread
I spent a lot of time doing this same research over the past few weeks. The info here, esp Mikes last post on the differences between the RX-V line and the HTR line is clear and accurate (except an early post by Jeremy which was retracted), but his statement that the Yamaha power ratings are conservative is, in my experience quite true.
75 Yamaha watts = 120 in many other camps

A couple of points re: warranty;
Yamaha WILL warranty HTR models bought online via authorized online dealers. They do NOT warranty the RX-V line via e-tailers at all. Most e-sellers offer a "match warranty" thru their own business, so buy from a well rated seller.

I bought the RX-V2300 last week at hificiti.com.
I listened to it A/B against the Denon 3803 (thru the Klipsch Reference line @ Good Guys) and the 2300 was much better sounding IMO. Richer, fuller and it pushed the Klipschs with more ease than the Denon. The Marrantz/Sony/HK they had set up in the same room were a distant 3rd.

I chose hificiti because I liked their price ($673) and their in-house warranty. I even paid tax!! when I could have used an out of state company because of their rep & they are real close to the Yamaha Corp HQ here in Buena Park (& Yamaha service). They use Yamaha to perform the service they offer in their in-house "match" warranty!
Should be delivered to my office tomorrow, can't wait to get it all set up!

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
That's great to know Randy. I had just about settled on getting the RX-v1300 from Hificiti.com because they were well rated and I couldn't find anything negative about 'em (and I do a thorough search including BBB). It came down to the HK 520 having a coaxial digital out and my computer sound card having a coaxial digital in. Since I planned to hook up the computer as my "tape deck" and "video recorder" to the receiver I opted for the 520. I'm glad to know my research and "gut" feeling about hificiti.com was correct! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
So yamaha won't offer warranty coverage on the RXV on-line at all ? On ebay there is an authorized yamaha store from Decator IL (I know they are authorized because i checked it out on yamahas website and it says they are authorized) selling some of the RXV models brand new. So if I but it on ebay I wont get the warranty but if I acutally went to there store 300 miles away I would?

RandyMe

Auditioning
I imagine that if you have a receipt from an authorized B/M retailer you would have no problem.
I do think the retailer would have a problem if Yamaha knew what they were doing!
I almost bought an HTR-5590 from J&R Electronics in NY, it just lacked the Zone 2 multi-source I wanted. They have a store in NY, they sell the RX-V line there, but will only sell he HTRs online for this reason.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased one of those 3300's from Team Electronics and I have asked Yamaha directly what the policy will be. I was very unsatisfied with their service as I had to wait 19 days after auction close to take delivery. I will keep all posted especially if this is a change in Yamaha's on-line policy.

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
Well last night i won an auction for one of the RXV models and know i am wondering if i should go ahead with the transation.

Jeff Massey

Agent
I brought the rxv-1300 from reliable for somewhere around $550 shipped. They match the manufactors warranty. So far I am very happy with the purchase. I am currently driving vandersteen 2ce sig in front, with a vcc-1 center and vandersteen 1b in the rear. The 1300 has no problem driving the setup.

Jeff

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
"I purchased one of those 3300's from Team Electronics and I have asked Yamaha directly what the policy will be. I was very unsatisfied with their service as I had to wait 19 days after auction close to take delivery. I will keep all posted especially if this is a change in Yamaha's on-line policy.;

I contacted Yamaha support and they said they will not honor the warranty. Team Electronic is a fraud! I am glad i hand't sent the money yet and will be contacting ebay about their false claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks