What's new

EDID passthrough and resolution on Samsung Display (1 Viewer)

OBXBoost

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I've been building and evolving my home theater for years. The center of it started off with a Samsung UN65HU9000, an Onkyo TX-NR709 and a Samsung 4K Bluray Player with Klipsch Architectural Speakers.

No matter the source, I could never get the TV to detect anything higher than a 720P source through the receiver, although it would work fine through a direct connection at the One Connect box. Even after upgrading the Bluray player last Christmas to a Panasonic and still having the issue, I chalked it up to an issue with the receiver over the years. Then this year I bit the bullet and bought a Denon AVR-X6700H as a well-deserved upgrade. I also bought a 4K Amazon Firestick on special and thought it would be a good test to see what was going on, and the issue persisted.

As the receiver was brand new, I had assumed Denon would be a help, but a help ticket to them equated a response of:

"
It sounds like what you're experiencing is what we call an "EDID negotiation issue", which is not caused by the AVR but by the TV's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) not negotiating well with the source when going through an HDMI repeating device, such as our AVR that does HDMI processing. This is a common issue with HDMI negotiation and can be fixed with either an update to the TVs to adjust the EDID string or an EDID management device like the Atlona ETU Sync or Key Digital HDFIX22 (for example). These devices connect via HDMI between the TV and AVR and their primary function is to capture the TV's EDID to use the same data every time (every 3 seconds) for negotiation consistency.

You can also try contacting your TV manufacturer to determine if they have any suggestions you can try specific to your TV.

The best way to test for an EDID problem is to connect the AVR to a different make & model TV if possible. If the issue stops and everything works correctly, this will confirm a likely EDID issue. If the issue persists then it indicates something else is causing the problem.

Please note: Newegg.com is not an authorized reseller of Denon products, and to my knowledge none of our authorized dealers use Newegg.com's 3rd party marketplace as a selling point. You should be aware that any product purchased from a non-authorized Denon dealer is not entitled to warranty coverage, so if at any point in the future you need to file a warranty claim for any reason, the warranty would be void.
"

Anyone else have any thoughts?

P.S. Denon has since admitted being incorrect in regard to Newegg being an authorized distributor, but I had to raise the issue with Newegg directly to get that sorted out

OBXBoost

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Todd,
After assessing both ends and configurations and it still not working, I took an HDMI cable right from the receiver's output to the TV's input and bypassed the HDMI in-wall extenders that were supposedly 4K certified over a pair of Cat6a cables. Come to find out, I guess they aren't 4K certified.

All this time and I completed ignored the layer 1 stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks