What's new

Advice needed - $599 Yamaha vs $999 Denon (discounted to $599) (1 Viewer)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Hello-hope all of you are having a nice holiday season.

I have been trying to research before asking for help, but I am in a bit of a quandary. I am thinking of replacing my 6.5 year old Denon 2312ci -- it's turning off at random times (overheating, I think?). The receiver has performed pretty well, despite having had to go to the shop for a few weeks (faulty replacement parts), but, as I set the stage for an eventual 4k upgrade (I am holding onto my Panny GT50 plasma for as long as I can), I think it's time to get a newer receiver.

Wirecutter recommends the Yamaha RX-V685 as it's best all-around receiver, and, indeed, it looks like a solid choice for my single-room, 5.1 setup, able to support my 3D movies and even has a dedicated phono input for my record player. 90 watts seemed fine--but then I saw that my old Denon was 105 watts so that brought me back to thinking about Denon, which lead me to the X3400H, which I would normally not have considered at its original price of $999--but now the price is down to the same price as the Yamaha! Aieee!!

Now, I remember reading that watts difference weren't something I should worry about (I am bi-amping older Axiom Audio M2 (2008)), so it looks like the biggest differences are the HDMI inputs, Yamaha's DSP modes, and, perhaps most importantly, YAPO vs Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (one measurement vs the 8-position bubble). But..should I worry about the 15 watt df

It just seems like I am comparing a consumer model vs more of an installer model and I can't seem to find a review that discusses the experiential differences between both. I know that spending more money doesn't necessarily mean a better listening experience -- the extra dollars may be going into features I may never use -- but if anyone has any thoughts, I could use some help. I have a feeling more people are going to bump into this given how Amazon is featuring the Denon when viewing the Yamaha product!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You shouldn’t worry about 15W unless you’re often running your receiver near the top of its volume.

I’m confused by the 3400 product page, listing Dolby Vision as “-“ and not a check. But demon says it’s DV compatible.
https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6287/~/dolby-vision-/-hlg-updates-for-av-receivers

This press release indicates it does DV pass through.
https://hometheaterreview.com/denon-debuts-avr-x3400h-av-receiver/

I’m not smart on DV stuff.

Assuming it does what’s needed for DV, then from my quick look, if they’re the same price, I’d buy the Denon, if only because it has 7 HDMI inputs compared to Yamaha’s 5. Better too many inputs than not enough.

But I’ve not studied this well, so I’m just giving a gut opinion without real review. :)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hi Dave!
Thank you very much for your response. I agree with you; the Denon feels like the better choice. Right now, given my budget and the time of year, I have decided to test the system out wiht an AC Infinity component fan, the S6, to see if that addresses the random shutoffs. I received the unit yesterday and so far, so good--the receiver on for while and no problems!

Thanks again,
mike

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. I've been agonizing over buying the Denon AVR-X3400 or spending $300 more for the X4400. Thanks to a nice earlyChristmas present, I went with the X4400.

I can say that the X3400 would have suited me just fine and filled all my needs, even if it was a 7.2 system vs the 9.2 of the X4400.

One more note on the X3400, it does not have a dedicated PHONO input. You'd need a separate pre-amp if you wanted to add a turntable. The X3500 and the X4400 do have dedicated phono inputs.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Hi Brad! Happy New Year!

Nice work with the X4400--I am glad you got to get the one you wanted! And now you have the option of 9.2...someday?

I do have a turntable but it has a built in amp (though I prefer, for some reason, to have the receiver do the work, it just feels right) and it's a bummer that Denon doesn't offer a Phono input until these higher models. Something to save up for, I guess.

So far, I think I have dodge a bullet with the purchase of that fan--no overheating problems yet. I think I am going to watch the situation as I figure out when I should replace my Panasonic GT50 plasma...I don't really want to, but there's an OLED out there for me...somewhere..

have a great day and thanks for the reply!

best,
mike

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I faced similar replacement issues a year ago. I had an '09 Panasonic plasma, TC-P54V10, and the Denon AVR-2309ci. As I purchased a 4K OLED TV, the Panny was given to a friend and the Denon assigned to a back room. The Denon X3400H was available, even in January 2018, for $500 at Fry's, on special, limited pricing. I'd recommend watching Fry's if you've one nearby when you're ready to buy. The X3500H will be well into its model year and should be similarly discounted. The Denon is a great receiver, and all I need in a 7.2 system. It passes Dolby Vision - there was probably a firmware update early in its time on the shelf. I never had a 3D capable system, but be aware, you won't find new 4K displays that are 3D enabled. However, nice as the Panasonic was, my LG OLED leaves it in the visual dust. I'd recommend you give strong consideration to the 65" LG OLED C8. It's footprint is barely larger than that of my 54" Panny, but the picture is pleasantly larger and breathtaking at times.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
@Mike Romo : Glad to see that fan is working. I’m considering such an addition to my Denon X4400 as it does run quite warm. Knowing this, I modified the furniture used for the AVR ( cut out the back) to ensure good air circulation).
Any recommendations on what fan I should buy?

I’d also recommend anyone looking to upgrade receivers to consider a model that has just been superseded by a newer one (example: Denon X4400 being recently superseded by the X4500. You could strike a deal for the former. Got the X4400 for $799 (formerly up around $1200-$1400).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You will never notice a real difference between 90 watts amd 105 watts IMHO. Once you hit 70 watts it seems to take so much power to make it that much louder IMHO. But having the extra power is great for headroom! And depending how that model was rated sometimes the posted power is not what the receiver actually puts out. Hope your new receiver has worked out for you and that you are enjoying it. Personally I do not think you would have gone wrong ether way between Denon and Yamaha. I upgrade my Pioneer Elite to Denon's sister company Marantz at the end of last year myself. But I chose to go all out with the SR-8012 Marantz. The key for each person is to get something that works for them and that your happy with! I bet your system sounds great! Would love to see a picture.

IMHO if you get a turntable I would get a separate phono preamp instead of using the one built in. I have yet to find one that works great in any receiver that is in my price range.

IMG_2519a.jpg

IMG_2045a.jpg

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Nice set-up Dave, but I do question some of your equipment placement. But on the plus side, you do have easy access to the back panel!

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
@Mike Romo : Glad to see that fan is working. I’m considering such an addition to my Denon X4400 as it does run quite warm. Knowing this, I modified the furniture used for the AVR ( cut out the back) to ensure good air circulation).
Any recommendations on what fan I should buy?

I’d also recommend anyone looking to upgrade receivers to consider a model that has just been superseded by a newer one (example: Denon X4400 being recently superseded by the X4500. You could strike a deal for the former. Got the X4400 for $799 (formerly up around $1200-$1400).

--
hi there!!

Thanks for your reply--and the good advice about how to look for the last version of a receiver! Good stuff. With regards to the fan, I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW6CYEC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I have been very happy with it. You put it on top of the receiver, you press a few buttons (basically, "turn on automatically" and "no lights, please") and it's good to go. It's about as "set and forget" a device I have ever had. So far, my receiver has had no problems, the fan is nice and quiet (when I do hear it, it's almost comforting, because I know it's saving my receiver!), and...well, that's it's It's awesome. They have a few different models, which you can find here, but I am fine with the basic S6.

Good luck!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nice set-up Dave, but I do question some of your equipment placement. But on the plus side, you do have easy access to the back panel!
I'm pretty sure that's just a pic of the new receiver after unboxing. It still has the shipping tape on it.

gralenk

Agent
Real Name
gralen young
I am looking for a receiver too. A mouse got on top of it and my cat didn't get to it and some how shorted it out. I had a Yamaha a750. It sounded good but I felt like it did not do the sourrounds well like my 1200. Plus I had to remember which input was what when I had to switch equipment. Yamaha do not label their inputs anymore. So I am about to go out and buy either a Marantz, a Onkyo or a Yamaha A880. Any suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks