What's new

X-Files Ultimate Collection - What is going on???? (1 Viewer)

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
This week it got listed as "discontinued from manufacturer" at Amazon.com and is no longer available (not even to backorder). So since this set came out last year with movie vouchers to see the movie this Summer, I figured they would repackage it and re-release (a la Sex and the City, which ended up with two different Amazon listings because the outer case changed from hard plastic to soft). But then I looked at every other online retailer - Barnes and Noble, Deep Discount, Overstock, TV on DVD Store, and others, and NO ONE has it in stock. I even visited the Fox TV Store to buy it and it says it is there, but you can't add it to your cart!

I know I can find it on Half and Ebay, but I am more interested in what is going on - are they preparing for a re-release with the new movie at the end of this year? Are they preparing for a Blu Ray release (which I can't even imagine how much it would cost?)?

I am wondering because I never picked this up, and now feel like I should wait till some news breaks.

Thanks!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, my guess would be that if it's out of print, it'll just be re-released with the new movie in December. Another option if you just want the episodes is that stores will have the slimline season sets on sale in the next couple of weeks to coincide with the release of the movie. So you may be able to get all of those cheaper than what you'd pay for the series set. Keep in mind that the slimline sets drop most of the bonus discs from the original season set releases.

As for a Blu-Ray release, that's either years away or may never happen because most, if not all, of the seasons were finished on 480i video (like most shows of the era) so they would need to go back to the original neagatives to make a 1080p transfer and that would be tremendously expensive.

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually more interested in just knowing what's up - if I were to buy, it would be the set, because I do want all of the features and you gotta love the centralized, complete case for complete sets!

I know X-Files was mentioned by Fox in 2005 as one of their Blu-Ray plans, but agree that it is doubtful. It just seems odd to pull it so early, considering it was never called limited and there are no releases on the horizon to cross market with the movie?

Anyone have any rumors floating around?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
What are you complaining about? Best Buy has all nine seasons on sale this week for $16.99 each ...

Also, individual retailers discontinue certain titles and certain all of the time when they decide that the title or that release isn't profitable to that company. Target does this all of the time ...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And you lose the bonus discs that were dropped from the re-releases of Seasons One, Two, Three, Four, Five and Nine and there's material that is only available on the Mythology sets or the series set's bonus disc.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Its still available at most Costcos if you are a member. However a $60 off coupon expired on June 22.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't really sound like he's complaining, just wondering what's going on before he spends the money. I'm a bit curious too, cause I'd rather wait a little bit if they're planning a re-release to tie in with the movie.

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly, no complaints here, just curiosity. There are plenty of places to get the set very inexpensive, just want to know if anyone has heard rumblings of something on the horizon. Most complete series sets are not discontinued unless a new release is out or they market it as "limited," hence the curiosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks