What's new

Woofer replacement in old speaker (1 Viewer)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine has some speakers that got damaged while in storage. The foam on the woofers has completely rotted away.

Here's the details I could extract about the speakers:

Janus Series 3 - Made By Mittom Industries
Woofer is 8 1/4" total diameter
Speaker is a ported 3-way design
Port is 2" diameter and 2 1/2" length.

I haven't done it yet, but I can approximate the volume of the woofer section.

Anyway, I was wondering how I could go about determining a suitable replacement? These aren't hi-fi speakers and a perfect match is not required, just something that will sound acceptable. I have a multi-meter available as well.

I also found these replacement foam surrounds on ebay. Are these worth looking into?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You have to pay attention when you buy those kits. This kit is for speakers with a sloped edge. Some speakers have flat edges.

I suggest just ordering them from Parts Express. They sell kits for about $20 that come with both types of surrounds. They also include everything you need, including instructions (which this guy doesn’t) and the adhesive (he’s selling that for an additional $5.00).

Keep in mind that these are generic replacements. If your friend’s speakers had a proprietary surround, you’re probably out of luck. Fortunately, most speakers will use one of the surrounds in the kits.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Hi,
I was away from this project for a while. Just wanted to verify that this surround replacement will work ok before I order. I measured the diameter of the cone itself to be 5,7/8" and the outer is just shy of 8,1/4".

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure anyone wants to be responsible for giving you the go ahead on refoaming your woofers in case it doesn't work. ;)

I've never done it personally.. so I can't say. But, if you're unsure on the measurements... NEW FOAM has assorted sizes and explains how the measurements are laid out. You can even send your drivers in to them to have them do 'em. Also, check locally, there might be some local audio places left over from the 70's in your area that'll recone/refoam a driver for you. I know my brother has had to have his Bo$e refoamed several times. :rolleyes:But it was expensive.

It doesn't look too complicated from the Partsexpress instructions... I'd say, if you're pretty good with following written instructions and have decent hand-eye coordination.... go for it. ;)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I love it when people throw away or sell speakers without or rotted surrounds. This is a very easy fix. The kits at PE work fine and it takes no time at all. Yes, order the kit and fix the speakers. It is as simple as it seems. Just take your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks