What's new

Windows 8, Usability disaster (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Still back to windows 7 on my desktop. Two more failed installs and 15 gigs of files that it didn't remove. Stupidity.
Installed smoothly on my laptop. Ugly as hell and the Metro interface is worse than I imagined. Good luck trying to teach this piece of shit to anyone.
Here's a simple task: Try to add a new user.
First you have to find the hidden settings, then you have to add the user, then after that they can log in. THEN you can set their privledges? What stupidity is that.
Why isn't settings pinned to the UI to start? How do I pin it if I want to?
We hateses it so far.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, I really don't think they will. There is no going back from this big a mess, this is WAY worse than Vista.
It might really be the beginning of the end because I dont see corporate buyers flocking to it, they are gonna stick to 7 longer thsn they did XP

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Seriously if anyone expects this to be anything but a disaster go read that article:
The Metro interface is Windows 8. The desktop that you’re used to is also there, but it’s built as a separate app. Think of it this way: Metro is the shell. The desktop is an app within that shell. If you want to start Steam, you’ll want to launch the Desktop app, and then launch Steam.
This is insanity. This is Windows 8.
Via gruber:
I’ve tried to remain skeptical of pessimistic Windows 8 reviews. Anything different is going to draw negative reviews. The iPhone was panned by many at first, and the iPad even more so. I’d be worried if reviews of Windows 8 were consistently in the “it’s pretty good” range. Microsoft needs it to be disruptive, and that’s going to turn some people off, even if it’s brilliant.
But Edwards’s review makes it sound incomplete. No search for email? That can’t be right, can it?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^^ Totally agree. Windows 8 won't be hitting any of my PCs unless it turns out to be a huge success. I recently bought a smartphone and didn't even consider a Windows phone because of the ugly UI.

But about the phone home 'feature,' isn't Apple essentially doing the same thing by luring you to buy all your apps, music, movies, and books through iTunes?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Windows is doing the same thing REGARDLESS of where the app is from. So if you are trying to do something shady, like say running Bittorrent as a mild example, they know.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
No, I really don't think they will. There is no going back from this big a mess, this is WAY worse than Vista.
It might really be the beginning of the end because I dont see corporate buyers flocking to it, they are gonna stick to 7 longer thsn they did XP
You're probably right. I did all tech support, purchasing, choosing software/hardware, etc. for an IT department supporting about 200 users for many years.
Unless it is stable, easy to support and user friendly for the non-techie people, corporations will not buy it. When my laptop croaked and I thought of repairing it, I was told by Microsoft that XP support would end in January 2013. It may have been a sales tactic to get me to buy a laptop with Windows 7 and I don't think the date is correct, but I've been very happy with Windows 7. Windows 8 on the other hand, I wouldn't even consider switching to it at this time.
Windows 98 and XP Professional were pretty decent systems, easy to maintain, but they've had plenty of duds along the way. Going way back, Windows 95 sucked, NT was a bitch to run and maintain, and even though some people have had good luck with Vista, they seem to be in the minority.
Their server OSs were actually not bad, but anything for the end-user laptop or PC was a gamble.
p.s. Just a little tech support advice for people reading this thread, whenever you do switch to a new OS, don't upgrade. Backup necessary files, wipe the drive (or create a new partition) and do a clean install, things turn out much better.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Bwahahaha.
http://verynicewebsite.net/2012/08/start-me-up-again/
Not sure if that was sarcastic or not, but a cute concept. Emulate a Windows 7 desktop on top of Windows 8 so people don't realize what a crappy system they really have.
The more I read about Windows 8, Microsoft has come out once again with a major failure. They can do things so well, yet at the same time do things that are absolutely awful.
I'm not a cheerleader for Microsoft, but I've worked with their software for almost 20 years and they can sometimes do things well. Never been that much of a geek to get into different browsers, Linux, etc. 100% Microsoft, not particularly proud of it, but it has paid the bills for many years.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Stupidity abounds:
[VIDEO]http:/m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=g-user-u&v=Ur185N03pes&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUr185N03pes%26feature%3Dg-user-u&gl=US[/VIDEO]

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
What's the point of a mobile device if you need a keyboard and mouse for it to be usable?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
AYFKM?
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136368-leaked-windows-8-tablet-pricing-suggests-microsoft-may-have-already-lost-the-war-and-its-marbles

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
When the co-founder of MS tells you you are doing something stupid.... Listen maybe?
I did encounter some puzzling aspects of Windows 8. The bimodal user experience can introduce confusion, especially when two versions of the same application – such as Internet Explorer – can be opened and run simultaneously
http://www.paulallen.com/TemplateGeneric.aspx?contentId=21

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks