What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (2 Viewers)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
t2smith said:
The update they are releasing sometime in November called Threshold 2 or Fall Update is supposed to let you enter a Windows 7 or 8/8.1 product key while doing a clean install, but the current version of Windows 10 doesn't allow you to do this.

Thanks for the info. I'll doublecheck it, and if true will be scrubbing the flash drive that has the upgrade file.

Update on Nov. 1: 'Twas true. Will wait until Threshold 2 for update.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I put off upgrading to Win 10 until today. I'm glad I waited 4 months.

My install just went like clockwork. No glitches. So far everything is working just as before. The main hasles are that MS puts things like the location of the HW data in different places than before.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
You probably should have waited just one more day, since today Microsoft is rolling out the first big update to Windows 10, nicknamed Threshold 2, but you'll see it in Windows Update as Windows 10, version 1511, 10586. Mine is downloading as we speak.

Harry

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIUC from reports on the web.....

If you have upgraded to Win 10 within 30 days you won't get Threshold 2 until 30 days have passed.

The reason: apparently Threshold 2 REMOVES the ability to "go back" to a previous version of Windows (Win 7/8/8.1). So MS won't push Threshold 2 until your 30 days of "trial" are up.

Note: some sites report that Threshold 2 REMOVES the ownership code so going back now shows up as an illegal copy of Windows.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Dennis Nicholls said:
IIUC from reports on the web.....

If you have upgraded to Win 10 within 30 days you won't get Threshold 2 until 30 days have passed.

The reason: apparently Threshold 2 REMOVES the ability to "go back" to a previous version of Windows (Win 7/8/8.1). So MS won't push Threshold 2 until your 30 days of "trial" are up.

Note: some sites report that Threshold 2 REMOVES the ownership code so going back now shows up as an illegal copy of Windows.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on the day following its official release, yet the Threshold update has failed twice now!

This is the message I get:

Windows Update

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:

"Retry"

Unfortunately, clicking on the above "Retry" button just begins the annoying process of downloading, then installing updates for "Windows 10, Version 1511, build 10586," only to regenerate the same above Windows Update message after I restart my PC Laptop to "complete" the update!

Any thoughts? Frankly, I'm leaving this alone for now until I find out more regarding the glitchy nature of this latest Windows 10 build!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Microsoft has removed the Windows 10 Threshold 2 update.

While the update can apparently still be performed manually at the Microsoft.com website, I personally won't be doing this until they get their $#!? together regarding this!

Frankly, I've been reading a lot of horror stories, and my general second hand impression is that their Customer Service is pretty damn useless, at present! Of course, it may be a trickle down effect of decisions made above?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
So far so good for me. I've upgraded my two PCs to 10586, but even the subsequent (.11) update to that.

winver_zpsmtlvci5x.jpg

Sorry it's not working for some of you. I feel fortunate.

Harry

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Harry-N said:
So far so good for me. I've upgraded my two PCs to 10586, but even the subsequent (.11) update to that.

winver_zpsmtlvci5x.jpg

Sorry it's not working for some of you. I feel fortunate.

Harry
Hi Harry!

I'm glad that the Threshold 2 update is working well for you. All of the previous Windows 10 updates had worked for me also, but not this one!

Frankly, I'm more than a bit concerned regarding reports of certain apps/programs no longer being compatible after the upgrade. Between that, and the the current update issues, I'd just as soon sit tight on this one, at least for a bit!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Carabimero said:
Does anyone know if the Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 will run on Windows 10? Thanks.
Hi Alan!

Now, this is the sort of thing that I find disturbing! Once upon a time, you updated to a new OS, and with that, there would be the x number of programs that were no longer compatible, but now it appears that this is something Windows 10 users will have to concern themselves with for EACH and EVERY Windows 10 OS upgrade! Perhaps I'm guilty of donning a Tinfoil Hat here, but I don't like the idea of having to play Russian Roulette, in terms of which apps/programs might be lost/no longer compatible with the latest Windows 10 OS upgrade, which itself may conceivably occur every few months, rather than years--Not much time to catch our collective breaths, so to speak!

While on the whole, I prefer the Windows 10 OS over Windows 8, some misgivings are starting to set in a bit for me!

Tony

P.S. Sorry i didn't answer your question, Alan! The truth is, I don't know whether Adobe Creative Suite 5 will run on Windows 10. Even if I could answer yes for the current Windows 10 build that I'm on, I still wouldn't know whether that also applies to the latest Windows 10 Threshold 2 build, which is part of the point regarding my aforementioned concerns!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm still running Vista and so glad not to be in this mess. Hopefully by the time I upgrade, they'll be some clarity and stability (doubtful). It's just that I spent years learning Adobe Encore, which has been discontinued in the version of ACS that for sure works on 10. I really don't want to have to spend years learning another program to do what I am already doing well enough to get paid for.

Thanks.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
On the tablet I bought with W8 (a Surface Pro) in San Diego, the new version has been installed. And, frankly, I don't see any problem.

It just got its first update.

All my other PC's (which I bought in Europe) still run build 10240 (and say " Your device is up to date").

If the story at that link of Tony is true, I won't be getting Threshold 2 for a while on those machines.

Wait and see being the message, once more.

Cees

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here's the simplified version of the recent developments regarding the latest Windows 10 build:

- After more than a week of encouraging Windows users to obtain the update/s (10586 and the subsequent 1511) via an iso file to put on a USB/SD Card from their Media Creation Tool that's located Microsoft.com website, they pulled that option yesterday. Now, those latest builds can be obtained ONLY via Windows Update, which seems to be where the most users were reporting problems in the first place!

In my own experience with this, my Windows Upate status has changed from this:

Windows Update

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:

"Retry"

To this:

Windows Update

Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ‏‎11:28 AM

It appears that in my case, Microsoft pulled the option from Windows Update, as well!

Does anyone at Microsoft bloody well know what they're doing?!!? :P

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Moving away from the Windows 10 Threshold 2 debacle for a moment, I've been able to confirm having a video related issue that relates to Windows 10, which in hindsight, I believe I first noticed after one of the early Windows 10 cumulative updates.

Since about the second week of August, EVERY video that I play using Media Player Classic cuts the edges off ALL 4 sides, regardless of Aspect Ratio. I also have the same problem with my free Leawo Blu-ray Player, insofar as playing Blu-ray Discs (Though this doesn't occur with DVD Playback, in this case!), which is very annoying, as it's the only platform I have that allows me to Print Screen my Blu-ray Screen Captures! :P

Earlier this afternoon, going on the advice of a Staples Sales Associate, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling my Media Player Classic, and even accepted the updates, none of which made ANY difference.

Finally, I was able to confirm my worst fears of this being a Windows 10 issue, by way of installing MPC on my wife's Laptop, which is exactly the same as mine in every respect, except that it still has Windows 8.1. On her setup, the edges of the video frame are NOT cut off, as they are on my Windows 10 setup! :angry:

What makes this really galling to me, is the fact that our Acer model is among the ones that Acer does support the use of Windows 10 for! Then why my display issues with MPC and Leawo?

Oddly enough, I don't have this issue with my VLC and Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Players, but neither of these allow me to Print Screen Capture from Blu-ray video, either, which is what really bothers me about my display issues with Leawo Blu-ray Player!

I suppose some investigating is in order?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
To better illustrate the video problem that I'm dealing with, I've captured a screenshot of the intro for The Bowery Boys PRIVATE EYES, using two different Media Players:

VLC Media Player Captures The Entire Video Image...

vlcsnap-2015-11-22-20h21m57s446.png

While MPC-HC Cuts Off The Edges On All 4 Sides (I've Never Had This Issue With Windows 8 Or XP). Note The Slightly Cut Off Lettering On The Bottom Of The Image:

Private Eyes - 1.66.mp4_snapshot_00.00.03_2015.11.22_20.22.38.jpg

Any thoughts or observations regarding this?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Clinton McClure said:
Is there an overscan setting in MPC on Windows 10?
Hi Clint!

Overscan on ALL four sides? I've always assumed that this only caused sidebars! At any rate, I've never seen an overscan setting on MPC or any of my other PC based Video Players. In fact, I just rechecked my MPC to see if there was anything with a descriptor that even appears to be another wording for overscan, but no, there appears to be none.

As I've stated above, when I use MPC on my wife's computer, which is EXACTLY the same as mine, except for her still having Windows 8.1, the video plays full screen. I'm thinking it HAS to be something connected with Windows 10, whether it's a general issue, or something specific to my PC Laptop, perhaps some slight driver issue that only affects certain video player interfaces. I'm not getting this headache with VLC or Cyberlink PowerDVD 12, the latter which I use for Blu-ray Playback. On the other hand, my Leawo Blu-ray Player (Free Version) is a mixed bag, cutting off the edges for Blu-ray (For which my ability to Print Capture is why I downloaded Leawo, in the first place!), but NOT for DVD! I did not experience ANY of these issues with Windows 8, and when I upgraded to Windows 10, I did so keeping my previous settings, rather than a clean install, so there SHOULDN'T have been any change in video playback, especially of the selective to specific Media Player sort that I've experienced!

Frankly, I'm pretty much at a complete loss regarding how, or if this can even be fixed with my current Windows 10 configuration!

In case this might be of any enlightenment regarding my predicament, here are my PC specs:

System Spec
Computer type:
Laptop
System Manufacturer/Model Number:
Acer Aspire E1-522-5460
Windows 10
CPU:
Quad Core Processor A4-5000 (1.5 GHz)
Memory:
6 GB DDR3 Memory
Graphics Card(s):
AMD Radeon HD 8330 with 512 MB Graphics System Memory

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Windows 10 builds (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3120677) ) are now available here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=kb3120677

Oddly enough, these are only accessible via Internet Explorer (Must be 6.0 or later). Issues with Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome, perhaps?

P.S. Here is the reason Microsoft had pulled the November updates, according to this article: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/62561/microsoft-resumes-windows-10-1511-downloads-explains-itself

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks