What's new

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume Two (Blu-ray) (DVD) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
...the kids would probably just sit back and enjoy the cartoons...
That's how it worked for me. When I was a kid, the "A party? At my house? Excuuuuuse me!" lady was just a lady that didn't like that there was a party going on at her house. As an adult, I'm not going to pretend that it isn't a stereotype or act like I can't understand how people could be offended by it but at the same time, I don't think that there's any value in hiding it from public view either.

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
bigshot said:
She was, but from what I'm told, she is operating off a list. The 13 banned cartoons have increased in number and she is the source of it.
I presume that the Censored 11 are among those, but do you know what the other cartoons are that this idiot is preventing from being released as long as she has a say? Just curious.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Retro00064 said:
I presume that the Censored 11 are among those, but do you know what the other cartoons are that this idiot is preventing from being released as long as she has a say? Just curious.
Possibly Tex Avery's Uncle Tom's Cabana and Half-Pint Pygmy, no?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
so those two cartoons get added to the list and now it becomes 13, is she just in charge of animation, wonder how many other WB titles that she "may not be comfortable with" so they never get released. That is not a business model, that would work for Gone With the Wind, make me wonder about a lot of older films, and opinions about those. and if this means we will see less releases because of it. the stock holders might be upset if revenues are down.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
more thought on this, because of classic films that may rub some the wrong way, ie Caucasian actors Toler and Winters playing Charlie Chan, hope this does not kill the prospects of getting the final Chan's released.

JJHLH

Grip
Real Name
John
My opinion on this remains unchanged since last year. I am against censorship. Who gets to decide what to include and what to exclude? My 1-star Amazon review remains unchanged until WB decides to release the set complete and uncensored.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, how is this any different from the Breen Office and that rodent Will Hays deciding for all of America what they can or cannot see (and yet, presumably, they saw these in order to make that judgement call). Censorship is completely anti-democracy.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dick said:
Yeah, how is this any different from the Breen Office and that rodent Will Hays deciding for all of America what they can or cannot see (and yet, presumably, they the offending films in order to make that judgement call). Censorship is completely anti-democracy.

ThadK

Second Unit
Restorations look alright, although I'm not pleased with the tendency to not balance or color correct anything at Warners lately and leaving the cartoons dark, as opposed to the older transfers that would tend to boost things a bit much. Take a look at the shadow/lighting in Jerry's mouse hole in the new copy, and you'll see there's loss of BG detail.

ThadK

Second Unit
Out of curiosity, to the poster who made these screencaps, jedi_1, did these cartoons by any chance have the '60s MGM lion logo at the front? That'll explains the darkness/blown-out blacks (same happened on Vol. 1). Still clearer/cleaner than the old copies, but man, what a tradeoff. Especially considering how amazing the T&Js done right on the Blu-Ray look.

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
It may be the film elements causing the problem, but if not, I can't say I'd be surprised. Look at this video that WHV posted on Facebook a while back comparing the final restored version of Canned Feud from Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 2 (which happens to also have blown-out blacks) to their "original scan" (which has pretty obviously had the brightness fudged to make the restored version look like a bigger improvement than it really is), and note that they have altered many of the fade-ins and outs, including the ones in the body of the cartoon (resulting in the loss of some animation!). Seriously, WB? That's just dumb. This altering of the fades seems to have occurred in some of the MGM cartoon restorations as well (compare the fade-ins/outs of the titles in the restored The Midnight Snack to the ones in the old TV transfer). If they have the idiocy going on there to sometimes alter the fade ins/outs in the cartoons, I can see them blowing out the blacks as well.

jedi_1

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan
ThadK, I think that the prints aren't the 1960's reissued.

I present a comparisson of the quality of the prints over time. This is the code that i have used:

A: Up and Left => remastered prints of "Golden Collection" available in HD (and a few available in SD for "Spotlight Collection", "Academy Awards Collection" or "Deluxe Anniversary Collection"). Prints since 2011.

B: Up and Right => Turner prints available in SD for Cartoon Network regular broadcast, also available in DVD for UK's "Classic Collection". Prints since 1995.

C: Down and Left => MGM/UA Home Video prints for Laserdisc or VHS home video collections, available in SD. Generally aired on "Funhouse" TV Broadcast. Prints since 1988.

D: Down and Right => MGM old and rare prints in several formats (but not Laserdisc or DVD) for rare collections or TV broadcasts before Cartoon Network. This prints have several versions, including the rare 1960 Lion's Black Card or the rare red card with no Lion Logo. Prints since 1970 until 1990.

Here the comparissons:

1) JERRY'S DIARY: I think that the "A" print is the 1960's reissued with the Lion's Black Card, but I'm not entirely sure. In the other 3, the cartoon has the original Lion Logo (not reissued in 1950's).

y04z.jpg

2) THE BOWLING ALLEY CAT. In this case, the "A" print is the 1960's reissued and the colors evidence that. The other 3 restorations are the 1950's reissued, and i think that the "D" print has the best quality.

z4nb.jpg

3) THE MIDNIGHT SNACK. All the restorations are the 1950's reissued for a better comparisson. In this case, i prefer the "A" print but i like also the "D" print.

qom7.jpg

4) THE YANKEE DOODLE MOUSE: Also the 1950's reissued. But here i think that the "D" print is the best because recuperates the original colours.

8ymw.jpg

5) JOHANN MOUSE. Here the "A" print is the best, Tom recuperates his original grey. The "D" version is different, in this case the version is the 1965's reissued for CBS with the red card.

2e57.jpg

6) CRUISE CAT. Yesterday, this cartoon was aired on SuperRTL and here is the comparisson. Maybe I prefer the "C" print in this case. The "D" print is the 1965's reissued for CBS with the red card too, because it was impossible to find the original version (with the Lion Card).

3zue.jpg

7) SLICKED-UP PUP: Also, the "D" print is the 1965's reissued with red card or maybe the 1960's reissued with the Lion's Black Card. In conclusion, i think that the "A" print isn't the 1960's reissued, like "B" and "C" prints.

79wb.jpg

In SuperRTL, every day aired Tom and Jerry, with the remastered prints, at 3:50 pm (GMT+1). Yesterday they aired "Jerry and Jumbo", "Johann Mouse" and "Cruise Cat" all remastered.

You can see SuperRTL online in streaming here: http://www.yourtv.to/online/live/fernsehen/stream/superrtl.html

You can see the broadcast here: http://www.wunschliste.de/serie/tom-und-jerry

In the broadcast, there are no mentions for "Mouse Cleaning" or "Casanova Cat", and also "Jerry's Diary" because they used this cartoon to create the german's original intro for "Tom und Jerry". Anyway, all cartoons of "Golden Collection Vol.2" are mentioned, except "Tennis Chumps", "Little Quacker", "Texas Tom", "Safety Second", "Jerry's Cousin", "Sleepy-Time Tom", "The Flying Cat", "The Duck Doctor", "The Two Mouseketeers", "Smitten Kitten" and "Posse Cat", but the broadcast is only complete until 19/04/2014.

Also, a remastered version of "Jerry's Cousin" and "The Two Mouseketeers" is available on "Academy Awards Animation Collection" DVD's. And all the CinemaScope cartoons and Jones cartoons are available on "Spotlight Collection Vol. 1-2-3" and "Chuck Jones Collection".

Maybe in SuperRTL all the cartoons since "Little School Mouse" are the Turner Prints, along with "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat".

PD: I think that "Canned Feud" is the only Looney Tunes cartoon that was remastered twice: the first one, the reissued version for "Looney Tunes Golden Collection" DVD, the second one the original version for "Platinum Collection" Bluray.

Greetings!

ThadK

Second Unit
Thanks! Not sure what happened here... FYI, LITTLE OPRHAN, JERRY'S COUSIN, THREE MOUSKETEERS, and JOHANN MOUSE were already restored for the Academy Awards set a while ago.

Oh, and CANNED FEUD wasn't the only WB cartoon remastered twice. All of the post-48s on Vol. 1 (and most of the Road Runners and Tweetys on Vol. 2) were only mastered in SD, so they had to be remastered for HD for the Blu-Rays. Hence new original titles, different colors, etcetera.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the top right ( B ) versions look the best to me, contrast levels seem good, overall detail seems good, they are the Turner ones i think. The A ones on the top left seem too dark to me, of course i am viewing this via my laptop so maybe that's an issue.

ThadK

Second Unit
Well, there's a difference between sourcing a positive print and a negative. I'm not entirely convinced the significantly darker ones didn't come from CRIs of the "Metrocolor" versions.

For the sake of comparison, I did some monkeying in Photoshop of the NIT-WITTY KITTY grabs. Turned up the brightness, turned down the contrast, altered some levels. I'm sure there'll be dissent, but I think it's a marked improvement.
Nit Witty 01.jpg

Nit Witty Kitty 2.jpg

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
On the subject of color, I know they can never be as accurate as a properly scanned Technicolor-based CRI, but did some of the infamous "Metrocolor 10" have to look as bad as they did?

Image17.png

Retro00064

Agent
Real Name
Zachary
Ken_Martinez said:
..."Metrocolor 10"...
It's actually "Metrocolor 11". The restored version of Puss Gets the Boot was also sourced from a "Metrocolor" CRI. Note that its original "An MGM Cartoon" title card has been replaced with a redrawn version missing the "In Technicolor" line. The title card backgrounds are also contrasty, with the areas outside of the lighter center area being very dark and murky (as if the blacks are blown-out), not the brilliant blue seen on other MGM cartoons of the era with the same style titles. It is better than the faded print used for the old TV transfer, which is why it hasn't received attention like the other 10 have, but still, I doubt it's as close to the original Technicolor as the good CRIs used for most of the other cartoons are. Hopefully someday we'll be able to see how this important cartoon is really supposed to look.

jedi_1

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan
More news about Tom and Jerry Golden Collection v2 prints and Tom and Jerry preservation works!

First of all, i'm going to put captures about all the MGM's Hanna-Barbera T&J Cartoons aired by SuperRTL on March/April. This prints are the GCv2 prints, all remastered and uncensored.

This is the list and the captures:

* 038 - Mouse Cleaning (not aired)
* 039 - Polka-Dot Puss => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 040 - The Little Orphan (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 1: Winners) => Capture
* 041 - Hatch Up Your Troubles (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 3) => Capture
* 042 - Heavenly Puss => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 043 - The Cat and the Mermouse => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 044 - Love that Pup => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 045 - Jerry's Diary (not aired)
* 046 - Tennis Chumps => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 047 - Little Quacker (not aired)
* 048 - Saturday Evening Puss => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 049 - Texas Tom (not aired)
* 050 - Jerry and the Lion => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 051 - Safety Second => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 052 - Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 053 - The Framed Cat => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 054 - Cue Ball Cat => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 055 - Casanova Cat (not aired)
* 056 - Jerry and the Goldfish => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 057 - Jerry's Cousin (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 3) => Capture
* 058 - Sleepy-Time Tom => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 059 - His Mouse Friday => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 060 - Slicked-Up Pup => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 061 - Nit-Witty Kitty => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 062 - Cat Napping => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 063 - The Flying Cat => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 064 - The Duck Doctor (not aired)
* 065 - The Two Mouseketeers (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 1: Winners) => Capture
* 066 - Smitten Kitten (not aired)
* 067 - Triplet Trouble => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 068 - Little Runaway => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 069 - Fit to be Tied => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 070 - Push-Button Kitty => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 071 - Cruise Cat => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 072 - The Dog House => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 073 - The Missing Mouse => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 074 - Jerry and Jumbo => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 075 - Johann Mouse (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 1: Winners) => Capture
* 076 - That's My Pup => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 077 - Just Ducky => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 078 - Two Little Indians => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 079 - Life with Tom (available on Spotlight Collection Volume 3 - Disc 1) => Capture
* 080 - Puppy Tale => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 081 - Posse Cat (not aired)

ALSO!!! SuperRTL aired some rare pan&scan of the CinemaScope T&J Cartoons, using the prints from Spotlight Collection.

* 088 - Pet Peeve => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 089 - Touche, Pussy cat (not aired)
* 090 - Southbound Duckling => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 091 - Pup on a Picnic => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 094 - Tom and Cherie => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 097 - That's My Mommy (available on Deluxe Anniversary Collection - Disc 1) => Capture
* 098 - The Flying Sorceress (superRTL aired the turner print)
* 099 - The Egg and Jerry (not aired)
* 100 - Busy Buddies (not aired)
* 101 - Muscle Beach Tom => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 102 - Down Beat Bear => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 103 - Blue Cat Blues (not aired)
* 104 - Barbecue Brawl => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 105 - Tops with Pops (not aired)
* 106 - Timid Tabby (superRTL aired the turner print)
* 107 - Feedin' the Kiddie (not aired)
* 108 - Mucho Mouse (not aired)
* 109 - Tom's Photo Finish => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 110 - Happy-Go-Ducky => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 111 - Royal Cat Nap => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 112 - The Vanishing Duck => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* 113 - Robin Hoodwinked (not aired)
* 114 - Tot Watchers (not aired)

ALSO!!! SuperRTL aired the CinemaScope version of Pup on a Picnic (at last!!!):

* 091 - Pup on a Picnic => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

Now, I'm going to put a comparison with other pan&scan's. As i used in my last post, this is the code that i use on preservation works:
* A => remastered print (for DVD/BR versions) since 2004.
* B => turner prints (for TV regular emissions) since 1990's until 2000's.
* C => laserdisc/VHS prints (for home video collections) since 1980's until 1990's.
* D => oldest original prints, pre-1980's.

For "Pet Peeve", "Touche, Pussy Cat" and "Southbound Duckling", only the turner prints has a pan&scan, and Laserdisc and oldest prints used the Academy Format. For "Pup on a Picnic", all (Turner, Laserdisc and Oldest) used the Academy Format.

* 094 - Tom and Cherie => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-D (no C-print found)
* 097 - That's My Mommy => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D
* 101 - Muscle Beach Tom => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C (no D-print found)
* 102 - Down Beat Bear => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D
* 104 - Barbecue Brawl => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D
* 109 - Tom's Photo Finish => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-D (no C-print found)
* 110 - Happy-Go-Ducky => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D
* 111 - Royal Cat Nap => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D
* 112 - The Vanishing Duck => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

This are my conclusions and some notes that I can watch:

- SuperRTL already had the T&J rights for regular emissions since 2012 or 2013, before all this controversy with GCv2. For this reason, they aired the remastered prints of GCv2 and some of the pan&scan versions of the CinemaScope prints used on Spotlight Collections.

- SuperRTL aired all the cartoons in PAL (european) version, not NTSC version. All my captures are the result of recording this videos with a Scart source (not HDMI source), and this implies analog roise. So, bear in mind that the DVD or BR will have a better image quality.

- "His Mouse Friday" was remastered uncensored, like "The Milky Waif", "A Mouse in the House" and "The Truce Hurts" on GCv1, "The Little Orphan" on Academy Awards, and "Life with Tom" and "Feedin' the Kiddie" on Spotlight Collection v3.

- This makes me think that they (Warner) has already remastered the uncensored versions of "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat"... BUT, they are following with the controversy, and at last, they will release the package with both cartoons uncensored (because they want to release the sets with the cartoons in chronological order), so that in the end the fans buy this pack to have this cartoons after much suffering. Maybe this is a marketing campaign. Simply, it not explained why WB remastered Looney Tunes controversial shorts and not T&J controversial shorts. I think this was planned since the Spotlight Collection times, and this is the reason that they finalized GCv1 with "Professor Tom" (the "Mouse Cleaning" predecessor).

- The pan&scan versions of the remastered CinemaScope Cartoons maybe will be used on individual T&J DVD's, but not in a possible GCv3. Note that this pan&scan versions make that the image gets higher resolution. If they release the GCv3, I hope that they used the correct CinemaScope version of "Pup on a Picnic" and not the 16:9 version that used on Spotlight Collection v3.

- About the prints, note that "Heavenly Puss" is the 1960's reissued version, like "Puss N' Toots" or "The Bowling Alley Cat". SuperRTL uses the "Jerry's Diary" introduction to air the T&J Cartoons in a TV package... I can observe that "Jerry's Diary" could be the 1960's reissued version, too. I think that this two cartoons are, surely, the 1960's reissued versions.

- Note that Tom's colour starts to be blue in "Heavenly Puss" and "The Cat and the Mermouse", instead of the grey that we can see on GCv1. I don't know why exactly, but maybe in 1950's reissued prints, Tom began to win a bluish color, and we can see the title of "Blue Cat Blues" referring to this. In the CinemaScope cartoons (none were reissued), Tom recuperates the grey color. Personally, I thought that Tom would have a grayish color.

- Some prints appear "dark", like "Cue Ball Cat" and "Puppy Tale". I don't know why: maybe because the story of this two cartoons elapses at the night, or because are the 1960's reissued versions. But I have doubts and I don't think so. Remember that SuperRTL aired the shorts without the intro/ending cards.

- The version of "Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl" isn't the original print recovered on the rare "MGM Cartoon Carnival" set. They remastered the 1950's reissued print. I'm sure of it.

- Personally, I would like that they use the 1960's reissued print of "Casanova Cat", because no version of this print was found. Here a comparisson of the B, C, D versions of "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat" prints:

* Mouse Cleaning => Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D
* Casanova Cat => Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

- In a possible GCv3, Will they include the two spin-off's of Spyke and Tyke ("Give and Tyke" and "Scat Cats")? I hope yes, because there are the only MGM CinemaScope cartoons that they haven't remastered yet (next to "Cat's Meow").

* Give and Tyke => Capture-B (pan&scan) Capture-C (letterboxed) Capture-D (scan)
* Scat Cats => Capture-B (pan&scan) Capture-C (letterboxed) Capture-D (pan&scan)

- In a possible GCv4, I hope that they included the Deitch Cartoons, and the Jones Cartoons in Academy Format (not in 16:9), as they did with Looney Tunes Super Stars Hare Extraordinarie and Platinum Collection v1 with Tasmanian Devil shorts. The only Jones cartoon that was included in the Academy Format was "The Cat's Me-Ouch" on Deluxe Anniversary Collection, Disc 2. Also, this Deluxe collection undervalued the Deitch Cartoons... someone understands this???

* Sample of Deitch Cartoon (in this case, "The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit") => Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D
* Sample of Jones Cartoon (in this case, "The Cat's Me-Ouch") => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

- I think that they have no plans to remaster the "Tom and Jerry Show", "Tom and Jerry Comedy Show" or "Tom and Jerry Kids Show". Recently, only Kids Show is being launched on DVD. At most, they will release Show and Comedy Show on DVD with turner prints, as they did on Deluxe collection. Here a comparisson of the preservation of this shows:

* Tom and Jerry Show => Capture-B Capture-D
* Tom and Jerry Comedy Show => Capture-B Capture-D
* Tom and Jerry Kids Show => Capture-A Capture-B (in this case, in Deluxe collection remastered the first episode of Kids Show, "Flippin' Fido", and looks great!)

- I hope that, in a possible GCv4 or GCv5, they remaster "Tom and Jerry The Movie" and "Mansion Cat", both disregarded on Deluxe collection (they could have used the first ten minutes of The Movie on the set). Both need a mastered print. In the case of The Movie, was released on DVD with turner print, but the trailer was included remastered. Here a comparisson:

* Tom and Jerry The Movie => Capture-A (trailer) Capture-B (DVD released) Capture-D (rare version)
* Tom and Jerry Mansion Cat => Capture-B (no C or D prints because this short was made on 2001, in turner era).

- I think WB still continue with controversy of cartoons for some years. When they decide, they will launch a "Complete uncensored and remastered Tex Avery MGM Library", with "Uncle Tom's Cabaña", "Half-Pint Pygmy" and "Garden Gopher" finally remastered (with other), also with the "Censored Eleven" pack. I could be wrong, but they could take advantage of the fear of fans about the plans of not to restore the shorts, and finally, they surprise the fans with the new collections, and fans go to buy.

To conclude the post, I present a capture of some treasures. In 1960's, Jones Team edited some T&J Hanna-Barbera shorts, generally by the same reason that now we have with "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat": the controversy of shorts. Jones redraw some cartoons and this prints have been lost over time. Here are a capture of this prints (prints that I think that never will included in a T&J set):

* Dog Trouble (Mommy's edited and redubbed) => Capture1 Capture2
* The Truce Hurts (blackface) => Capture
* Mouse Cleaning (Tom's blackface but not Mommy) => Capture1 Capture2
* The Little Orphan (the knife and Tom's blackface but not Mommy) => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4 (this print wasn't released on Laserdisc "The Art of Tom and Jerry" but was released on some VHS of pre-1990's)
* Saturday Evening Puss (Mommy's complete redraw and redubbed by June Foray, like Pet Peeve or Mouse for Sale) => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4 Capture5 (this print was released on Laserdisc "The Art of Tom and Jerry")
* Jerry and the Goldfish (including a TV on T&J's house): Capture1 Capture2 Capture3
* Nit-Witty Kitty (Mommy's reprint as white Mommy): Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4
* Triplet Trouble (Mommy's reprint as white Mommy): Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4
* Push-Button Kitty (Mommy's reprint as white Mommy): Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4 Capture5 Capture6
* Missing Mouse (possibly violence or maybe a new gag): Capture1 Capture2

Also, there are some T&J segments of a few seconds that Jones Team drawed for CBS emissions since 1965 to 1972. Here a sample of one of this segments: Capture1 Capture2

Finally, some personal conclusions about Tom and Jerry works:

- In the preservation works, I prefer this order of the prints: D > A > C > B. We all grew up watching the turner prints aired on Cartoon Network, but I think this prints were created to avoid damaging on original reels in the regular TV emissions. The laserdisc/VHS prints looks better than turner prints, but maybe the format makes them look worse. And I prefer D prints versus A prints, because this gives meaning to the preservation: in the future, only the A prints will survive, in HD or 3D releases, but D prints (you can see the Jones editing for example) are lost over time.

- In Tom and Jerry works, I think that "any past time was better". The Hanna-Barbera cartoons are the best, without question. Also, Deitch/Jones cartoons are better than later shows. Maybe Deitch imitated better the HB style that Jones, who used his own style. The two classic shows are better that Kids Show or the Movie, "Show" continued the Jones desings, and "Comedy Show" used a similar Deitch style. Kids Show and the Movie redefined T&J, creating a kid version and a "talking" version of characters. Mansion Cat and KarateGuard recuperated the 1970's and 1950's style, and there are better than Tales of the New 2014 Show.

- Personally, I love Deitch cartoons, sometimes even more Jones cartoons. I love "Tall in the Trap" (written by Tedd Pierce), "The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit" and "Carmen Get It". Also, I love "The Cat Above and the Mouse Below" and "Cat and Dupli-Cat", both directed by Jones.

- Personally, I prefer "The Mansion Cat" to "The KarateGuard", "Comedy Show" to "Show", and "The Movie" to "Kids Show". But I prefer every classic to the recent WB creations called "Tom and Jerry Tales" and "Tom and Jerry 2014 Show".

- The WB Era is the worst T&J era. Only for the creation of "The KarateGuard" and the remasterization of the cartoons. But "Tales", "2014 Show", and the "direct-to-video movies" since "The Magic Ring" are miscreations of the T&J's art. Maybe "The Looney Tunes Show" worked well (after failures of "Loonatics Unleashed" of "Duck Dodgers"), but I think that "Tom and Jerry Show" format will never work with a non-speak characters. It's my opinion.

And this is all for now. SuperRTL will back to aired T&J since May 31 (here is the broadcast: http://www.wunschliste.de/serie/tom-und-jerry), remember that you can see SuperRTL online in streaming if you want to see this remastered prints.

Greetings and See you soon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks