What's new

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume Two (Blu-ray) (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
Kirben said:
The DVD Collection released in Germany is a better option, since the UK release used double sided discs:

Tom und Jerry - The Ultimate Classic Collection [12 DVDs]

The packaging is just two keep cases inside a box, and the DVD menus are still in English.

youworkmen said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Jerry-Complete-Volumes-Collectors/dp/B000I0QSOO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431806804&sr=8-2&keywords=tom+and+jerry

That's the complete set of all 6 volumes. Sods law unfortunately says the 2 missing toons are on 2 different volumes so taking postage into account you might be better off just buying the complete set instead of 2 separate volumes.

Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat are both included uncut

Thank both of you for the info.... I will be looking into it!

cartoon_fan_kev

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
I have the uncensored Hanna-Barbera era cartoons on a 4 DVD set I made myself. Because there's no set that has all the episodes uncensored, I mixed and matched the cartoons from different releases (DVDs, VHS rips and a few TV rips). Looking forward to completing my collection with the Gene Deitch release in a few weeks!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Wow. I wasn't aware that all those Disney box sets were still available in Germany and so cheap!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
bigshot said:
Wow. I wasn't aware that all those Disney box sets were still available in Germany and so cheap!

Indeed. Also curious if any need the replacement discs that the US versions needed (i.e. Silly Symphonies #2) or if they were already fixed for the Euro releases.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
JoHud said:
Indeed. Also curious if any need the replacement discs that the US versions needed (i.e. Silly Symphonies #2) or if they were already fixed for the Euro releases.
What was wrong with SS2? I have the original US set of that although I usually only dig it out once a year for Santas Workshop - a Disney toon that is censored on UK releases.

I recently got Donald Duck 3 from Spain in a tin although not the same kind of tin as the US sets were.

Donald Duck 4 appears to only have been released in the US.

Back to T&J , for the Hanna Barbera toons I think the Spotlight Collections are uncut so you only need the 2 missing ones and they are on the UK discs and that's them all uncut ( as long as you have the Spotlight replacements of course). No need for tv recordings etc

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
bigshot said:
The discs are 100% English too .

Once the disc starts you select language and everything is the same after that with all the menus and toons and even Leonard Maltin bits too.

The only difference from the US discs is that they are PAL instead of NTSC

Real Name
Devin Griffin
Does anyone know if the versions of several shorts featuring the re-colorings and Irish voice dubs of Mammy from Chuck Jones' team still exist? I saw a Saturday Morning 1960's DVD set that seems to have a 60's TV version of Triplet Trouble and some VHS/Laserdisc releases that contain the edited Saturday Evening Puss, but that's about it. I'd love to see one of these edits some day.

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
youworkmen said:
Back to T&J , for the Hanna Barbera toons I think the Spotlight Collections are uncut so you only need the 2 missing ones and they are on the UK discs and that's them all uncut ( as long as you have the Spotlight replacements of course). No need for tv recordings etc

Can you expand on what you mean by Spotlight replacements, please?

Real Name
Devin Griffin
Bill Waits said:
Some episodes on Vol. 2 used the incorrect audio track with Mammy's voice dubbed over to sound less stereotypical. Some of these included Puss Gets the Boot, Nit Witty Kitty, and Saturday Evening Puss. I believe there were others as well. The point is that Warner later issued replacement discs using the original audio on these episodes. I think some episodes on Vol. 1 are also edited (for example, the racial gag at the end of The Little Orphan is cut out.)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The blu-rays will most likely cover all of the shorts except for the two.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm pretty sure negative feedback on the vol 2 of the Golden Collection killed that line. It's permanently in limbo because the studio will not take those 2 cartoons off its blacklist. If they start up again, they'll be starting from scratch possibly with a 3rd verboten cartoon excluded by that time.

Actually if there is any such future release I would be shocked. Classic cartoons on WHV blu-ray in general seem to be in moratorium. Maybe a Euro set?

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Bill Waits said:

Spotlight Collection Volumes 1 and 2 both required replacements.

Volume 1 was released with edited versions of some of the toons. I can't recall the exact specifics but I believe Volume 1 was replaced but the replacements also needed replacing due to other errors. Fortunately I learned of the original errors so held off buying until the replacements came along but then had to replace those anyway.

IIRC it was a very long time before Warner sorted the replacements out. Well over a year.

But that was long ago so any around now should be ok

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
Diablo Griffin said:
Some episodes on Vol. 2 used the incorrect audio track with Mammy's voice dubbed over to sound less stereotypical. Some of these included Puss Gets the Boot, Nit Witty Kitty, and Saturday Evening Puss. I believe there were others as well. The point is that Warner later issued replacement discs using the original audio on these episodes. I think some episodes on Vol. 1 are also edited (for example, the racial gag at the end of The Little Orphan is cut out.)
youworkmen said:
Spotlight Collection Volumes 1 and 2 both required replacements.

Volume 1 was released with edited versions of some of the toons. I can't recall the exact specifics but I believe Volume 1 was replaced but the replacements also needed replacing due to other errors. Fortunately I learned of the original errors so held off buying until the replacements came along but then had to replace those anyway.

IIRC it was a very long time before Warner sorted the replacements out. Well over a year.

But that was long ago so any around now should be ok

So is there a way to tell if you have the corrected disc or not?

Real Name
Devin Griffin
There has to be an explanation concerning the fact that many of the Turner prints of these shorts have blue tinting. It gets so bad that I need to turn the color halfway down just to make some shorts watchable IMHO. I'll post some pics later to show how excessive the tinting can get.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have no doubt they will eventually release the rest of the T&J cartoons to blu-ray (except for two). They'll probably just randomize them and package them in collections rather than with the "Complete" title on them.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Bill Waits said:
So is there a way to tell if you have the corrected disc or not?

I think if you have the full version of The Little Orphan your disc should be ok. So check the end where Toms fur is burnt off.

That was one volume. I can't recall what the error was with the other.

But these replacements were issued several years ago. If you've purchased them new in the last few years I doubt you'll have the incorrect ones.

I'm not so sure they will issue the rest of T&J on Bluray until the matter of the 2 banned ones is sorted.

Management move on.

Long after whoever is blocking this release being uncut has moved on the Tom and Jerry fans will still be here and I think Warner quite sensibly would prefer to market the remainder of the early toons as a complete set rather than with 2 missing

cartoon_fan_kev

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Since the TJGC issue is taking so long and probably won't happen, I've made my own unedited set of the Hanna-Barbera T&J shorts on 4 DVDs and listed the contents below so anyone can make their own complete HB era set if they want. For the shorts that didn't appear or weren't remastered on the first GC or any of the Spotlights, and if the remastered versions are available, I've noted which DVD or video it can be found on (over half have been released remastered).

DISC 1:

Puss Gets the Boot

The Midnight Snack

The Night Before Christmas

Fraidy Cat

Dog Trouble

Puss 'N' Toots

The Bowling Alley Cat (better print on Spotlight #2)

Fine Feathered Friend

Sufferin' Cats! (better print on Spotlight #1)

The Lonesome Mouse

The Yankee Doodle Mouse

Baby Puss

The Zoot Cat

The Million Dollar Cat

The Bodyguard

Puttin' on the Dog (better print on Spotlight #2)

Mouse Trouble

The Mouse Comes to Dinner

Mouse in Manhattan

Tee for Two

Flirty Birdy

Quiet, Please!

Springtime for Thomas

The Milky Waif (better print on Spotlight #1)

Trap Happy

Solid Serenade

Cat Fishin'

DISC 2:

Part Time Pal

The Cat Concerto

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse

Salt Water Tabby

A Mouse in the House

The Invisible Mouse

Kitty Foiled

The Truce Hurts

Professor Tom

Mouse Cleaning (VHS rip from Tom and Jerry's Birthday Classics, Volume 3)

Polka-Dot Puss

The Little Orphan (remastered/unedited version on Academy Awards/Nominees DVD)

Hatch Up Your Troubles (see Little Orphan)

Heavenly Puss

The Cat and the Mermouse

Love That Pup

Jerry's Diary

Tennis Chumps

Little Quacker

Saturday Evening Puss

Texas Tom

Jerry and the Lion (remastered version on Santa's Little Helpers DVD)

The Framed Cat

Cue Ball Cat

Casanova Cat (VHS rip from Tom and Jerry's Cartoon Cavalcade)

DISC 3:

Jerry and the Goldfish (Santa's Little Helpers)

Jerry's Cousin (remastered version on Academy Awards/Nominees DVD)

Sleepy-Time Tom

His Mouse Friday (VHS rip from Tom and Jerry on Parade with audio sync'd from Spotlight #3 DVD)

Slicked-up Pup

Nit-Witty Kitty

Cat Napping

The Flying Cat (remastered version on Santa's Little Helpers DVD)

The Duck Doctor

The Two Mousketeers (remastered version on Academy Awards/Nominees DVD)

Smitten Kitten

Triplet Trouble

Little Runaway (Santa's Little Helpers)

Fit to Be Tied

Push-Button Kitty

Cruise Cat (Santa's Little Helpers)

The Dog House

The Missing Mouse

Jerry and Jumbo (Santa's Little Helpers)

Johann Mouse (Academy Awards/Nominees DVD)

That's My Pup!

Two Little Indians

Life with Tom

Puppy Tale

Posse Cat

Hic-Cup Pup

Little School Mouse

Baby Butch

Mice Follies

DISC 4:

Neapolitan Mouse

Downhearted Duckling

Pet Peeve (original Academy version on Tom and Jerry on Parade VHS)

Touché, Pussy Cat! (original Academy version on Tom and Jerry's Festival of Fun VHS)

Southbound Duckling (original Academy version on Tom and Jerry's Cartoon Cavalcade VHS)

Pup on a Picnic (original Academy version can be seen occasionally on Boomerang TV)

Mouse for Sale

Designs on Jerry

Tom and Chérie

Smarty Cat

Pecos Pest

That's My Mommy

The Flying Sorceress

The Egg and Jerry

Busy Buddies

Muscle Beach Tom

Down Beat Bear

Blue Cat Blues

Barbecue Brawl

Tops with Pops

Timid Tabby

Feedin' the Kiddie

Mucho Mouse

Tom's Photo Finish

Happy Go Ducky

Royal Cat Nap

The Vanishing Duck

Robin Hoodwinked

Tot Watchers

Just to reiterate, to make this complete/unedited T&J Hanna-Barbera set, you'll need to own or buy the following DVDs and VHS tapes

DVDs

* Tom and Jerry Golden Collection #1

* All 3 Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collections (volumes 1 and 2 need to be the unedited version; if you buy them at Barnes and Noble or any other retail outlet that has them today you're probably fine)

* Santa's Little Helpers

MGM/UA 1990s VHS tapes

* Tom and Jerry's 50th Birthday Classics, Volume 3

* Tom and Jerry's Cartoon Cavalcade

* Tom and Jerry on Parade

* Tom and Jerry's Festival of Fun

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
I'm sure the uncut version of Mouse Cleaning on one of the UK dvd's will beat any VHS transfer by a mile- even if you need to convert it to NTSC first.

Real Name
Devin Griffin
youworkmen said:
I'm sure the uncut version of Mouse Cleaning on one of the UK dvd's will beat any VHS transfer by a mile- even if you need to convert it to NTSC first.
I still have the Birthday Classics Vol. 3 VHS from when I was a kid. The video quality of Mouse Cleaning on this tape only looks average to me, though that might be due to it being VHS. Here's the Turner print of the short, which has some pretty accurate colors compared to some of the other current TV prints:

On the other hand, after scouring around on Google Images for a while, I found pics of some Tom & Jerry shorts that were being shown on a Brazilian channel known as SBT. These seem to be the 1960's TV versions that Chuck Jones' team worked on. You can view a whole bunch of images of the 60's Slicked-Up Pup here: http://picapausbtrecord.blogspot.com/2015/02/tom-jerry-filhote-cheiroso-slicked-up.html.

See how that post is from 2015 and the images from the cartoon are crystal clear? What this means is that SBT is likely STILL showing these rare 60's TV prints! Here are some of my other finds (from the same person's blog):

Cue Ball Cat - (60's print on the left, Turner (Spotlight Collection) print on the right):

Tom 62.PNG
tom 63.jpg

The Bodyguard:

Tom 17.PNG
Tom 21.PNG

Push-Button Kitty - (You can see the white version of Mammy here):

Te_J_Gato_mecanizado_mp4_snapshot_00_01_2015_0.jpg
Te_J_Gato_mecanizado_mp4_snapshot_01_46_2015_0.jpg

Little School Mouse:

Te_J_Camundongo_escolado_mp4_snapshot_00_01_20.jpg
Te_J_Camundongo_escolado_mp4_snapshot_01_27_20.jpg

Check out the entire blog for some rare classic cartoon stuff! http://picapausbtrecord.blogspot.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks