What's new

Who has Magneplaner Speakers? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Just was curious how many of us are out there and if you are happy with the purchase.

I have 1.6QRs and love them. I want to upgrade to the 3.6s.

Let me know how you like them...

Also contribute if you are a past owner...

What amps/receivers do you use to drive them?

Thanks! :)

RichardHOS

Second Unit
I have a pair of SMGc's, a pair of MMG's, and the MGCC. I'm using three Rotel RB-981's to power them.

My new house is about to start construction, and in the HT room I will "demote" the SMGc's and MMG's to rear and side surround duty, and add a pair of 3.6's up front. Center will be another pair of... something - perhaps MG10's or MG12's. I've already picked up another two RB-981's, and am looking for a pair of more powerful amps for the 3.6's (I plan on biamping practically everything with active crossovers).

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Lee.
We just finished our basement and got out the old Magnepan MG-IIIA. They look and sound great as usual. Before these we had some SMGs and continued to trade up. These are the third pair we have had and they are maybe 15 years old. They have been in storage due to lack of space in our home for maybe 5-6 years. We are using a Carver TFM-35 amp and a Luxman preamp setup.
All of these setups have belonged to my father. I am running a setup with Klipsch Reference 3II's all the way around, and the sound is quite different!

Noticed you are in Alpharetta also...small world!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
In my 2CH system, I'm running a pair of MG-I's with an Adcom GTP-500/GFA-545 pre & amp with a Rega Planet CD player. They may be older than dirt but they still sound great. I had a chance to audition a pair of 3.6s a couple of times last fall and they are spectacular. If I hadn't just spent an arm and a leg on my HT I'd seriously consider upgrading to them or Martin Logans. Some day...oh yes...they will be mine.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I used to own Magnepan's MG-CC1, and MG-SS1s which rounded out an all planar HT system. The mains were Acoustat Spectra 22s.

I have since said goodbye to my baby Maggies, and gone with planar hybrids from Soundline Audio.

Sometime later this year, I'm going to switch over to a matching trio of speakers for Front L/C/R and then from 250Hz on up, I'll have 5 identical drivers (way cool IMO!).

Maybe I'll put the current CC on Surround rear duty. At this point in time, I think that's the least of my worries.

IMO, once you go to planars (of any variety) it is very diffcult to go back to dynamic speakers.

Regards,

Neil R

Agent
Lee,
I have owned two pairs of 1.6s, MMGs, 10.1 with custom crossovers and now have a pair of MG12s. No mater what box speaker I have gone to (B&W N805. Triangle, etc.) I have always come back to Maggies. Tough to go to a box speaker after owning a planer. I probably will try some Revel M20s or Ellis 1801s, but I will not get rid of my MG12s this time because I know what will happen!!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I had a pair of MMG a few years ago and miss them quite a bit, best speakers I've had. I sent them back knowing full well that I'd get the larger Maggies, but then the DIY bug hit and I never did. My next(?) project is a full-range dipole along the lines of Linkwitz' Orion, but based on my Adire DPL12 woofers (if I were honest with myself, I'd realize I don't, and won't, have the time for such an endeavor what with work as busy as it is, and will eventually purchase another pair[or more]of Magnepans). These drivers, used currently in a dipole subwoofer, have convinced me that dipole bass is unequaled in subjective "speed" and smoothness of response (at least in acoustically unforgiving rooms). The most impressive thing about the MMG in my almost-square room was the smoothness and extension down low, although I didn't know why at the time. Incidentally, the "power-hungry" MMG performed exquisitely with my 35wpc NAD 314 integrated.

IMO, once you go to planars (of any variety) it is very diffcult to go back to dynamic speakers.
Indeed. Not having experienced either a dynamic-driver dipole or a monopolar planar, I'm not sure which is more responsible for the unique sound (planar element or dipole radiation). In the bass, as I stated, I believe it's the dipole wavelaunch, and not the planar element as such, which is responsible for their inherent "rightness".
This has caused me to wonder about "hybrids". It seems that they defer to monopole radiation just where a dipole would reap the most benefit, below 100Hz. I am as aware as anyone that dipole bass comparable in SPL/FR to a monopole comes at quite a cost in expense and/or size, and I've assumed this to be the reason.

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
The Mag 3.6 is one of the best value in Audio . Period. Not a difficult load per se but since you are a Maggie owner , you know they require a certain amount of clean power.

Just a curious question. What electronics you have on the 1.6?

The 3.6 is a much better speaker, this by far... The great thing about the 3.6 is that to better them, you will have to spend many times its price, speaker costing five times more do not faze them.. Highly Recommended.

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Jack

NAD are good , always much bigger sounding than their power rating would suggest. Clean sounding, my sister has the SMG-A and it is now driven by a NAD 3020 BEE. Please audition this one. She'll get the MMG soon. She is just a music lover not an audiophile by the way but she just loves Magnepans.

Frantz

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Back in the early '80s I bought a pair of the original SMGs. I had them for several years and loved them. However, when I moved, I was unable to give them the breathing room maggie's need.

I was able to sell them for almost what I paid for them (they seem to hold their value very well) and purchased a pair of ADS L1290's in 1986.

Although I miss some of the qualities of the maggies, my ADS speakers still sound as great today as they did when they were new!

BTW, I powered the SMGs with a Hafler DH200 amp which I'm still using today!

If I ever move to a place with enough space, I would certainly consider using maggies again!

JimmyK

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I used to own a full maggie HT with 1.4's up front, MMG centre and two pairs of SMGa's as rears and sides. they make for an awesome sounding system and its what I base all speakers against now. Unfortunatly for my I also got bitten by the DIY bug and now have reverted back to cones again....for now:)

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Currently, MG-3.6/R, MG-1.6/QR, and a pair of MMG's, with only the MMG's in a multi-channel system. Amplification varies, but is currently Pass Labs, Bryston, and Sony.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
Okay,this looks like a good place to ask this,I have an 14'X 28' room with and 8' suspender ceiling.Since theres no maggie dealer close I've been considering taking their 60 day trial offer on the MMG,then upgrading to the 1.6 if I like them.But is my room big enough for the 1.6?How about if I use the MMG for mains right now?Would they be comparable or better than studio 60's,for example?If I temporarily use my current mon.9 for surround will the maggies be able to provide enough fullness to compete?(Ignore timbre matching for now-I just want to get a handle on how the maggies fill the room.I have a sherbourn 1500a with denon 3801 as pre/pro and a M&K sub.Don't mean to hijack this thread but there seems to be a lot of experience with maggies here and I"m intensely curious.Thanks

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
With thier 60-day trial period, you'd only be out return shipping if you don't like them. Thing about Maggies, though, is they present the music very differently. IMIO, your room is big enough for the 1.6's, especially along the long wall. Another place you might want to ask is here.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoy Magnepans. For years, I've always thought they had a very special sound (of course, that was because they were the only ribbon speaker I had spent any time with). I've had 3 different in-home auditions. In fact, when I purchased my system last year, the 3.6 was one of my finalists. They are wonderful speakers.

As far as ribbons go, three years ago, I was able to spend some considerable time with a friend who owned Apogees. I remember thinking "Oh, now I know why I like this". His setup was sweet.

However, in my opinion, VMPS (with its neodynium ribbons) has taken this sound to an even higher plane. It's like "Oh my God - that's what ribbons are capable of!!". To my ears, there's a purity that's missing from the others, not to mention the dynamics.

Magnepans are wonderful, as are Apogees. But if you like this sound, and are in the market to buy, you owe it to yourself to locate the nearest VMPS dealer/owner. I'm one of the happy RM40 owners.

Kevin

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question...
Do you two channel Maggie folks use a sub with your system? I was actually surprised to hear how much bass these things put out.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I'm not using a sub with mine but I wouldn't mind adding one some day. Mine give plenty of impact for mid bass but really lack in the low extension.

RichardHOS

Second Unit
I use a velodyne sub with my Maggies at the moment. With proper crossover and level settings, it blends pretty darn nice. My new HT will include one hellaciously massive IB system.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
I'm using 1.6QR's up front and MG-12's in the rear. Krell KAV amps. Theta Digital CB II processor. Went through a variety of processors and amps (more and more $$ each time. . . :frowning: ) before the maggie's really came across to me as not only "singing" but also rendering dynamics well.

Have considered moving up to 3.6's for the front, but am leaning towards VMPS RM40's at this point.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
MG-1b Imp up front and MMG's in the rear. Using a Yamaha RX-V1000 to drive them. I have had the 1bs since about 1983 and had them rebuilt about 5 years ago. Auditioned a lot of different speakers back then, but (as mentioned above) once you've heard these you can't go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks