What's new

which TV should I buy? (1 Viewer)

bigjohn

Grip
Real Name
John Thompson
I have a pretty specific use in mind.

I am a basketball coach (high school) and need a new TV for our locker room. The use of the TV will be to review game film before practice usually.

We currently have a TV but it is too small (I don't have measurements but I would guess in the 27 inch range) and the quality is not very good. That TV is probably 7 or 8 years old.

The locker room is narrow, probably 18 feet long by 7 feet wide.

Obviously I want the biggest screen with the best picture I can get. Some of the gyms we play in are fairly dark, so a pretty bright screen is a plus. Don't really need any extras like good sound or anything like that.

Will be playing video from DVD, possibly blueray, and maybe from a computer.

So, within the $500 range, what's my possibilities?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How fast do you need to buy?

Everyday on this forum there is a "Woot Daily Deal". There have been 42"-ish LCD under that price and even a couple 46".

I would say "buy a plasma"...but they don't travel well...as it appears you want to take it with you. Can you handle a 42"-46"?

bigjohn

Grip
Real Name
John Thompson
Thanks for the link.

We won't be taking it with us. It will be mounted on the wall of our locker room.

Was wondering if Plasma would be the best option, or LCD?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Plasma is in your price range up to 50". There are no "lousy plasma" sets.

A 46" LCD at $500 sucks in comparison.

An LCD won't look anywhere near as good as a 720P plasma when you are playing a 480i or 480P DVD.

If you stick with a 42", you can find an LG(which is fine) for around $400.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-42PA4500-42-Inch-600Hz-Plasma/dp/B006VFS3ZW/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375745561&sr=1-7&keywords=lg++plasma

Sears sells Zenith(owned by LG) and their "variation" of that set is around the same price...if you'd rather pick one up.

Creativesound

Auditioning
Real Name
Creative Sound
You will be able to find a decent flat screen that is the perfect size at a good price. Things I would look out for though is how the screen looks. Some cheaper flat screens tend to have horrible color or very dark screens, even after they are adjusted. Also keep in mind possible glare from your locker room ceilings and whether or not the screen type is shiny. Hope this helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks