What's new

Which Reciever to Buy ??? (1 Viewer)

Anthony_Br

Agent
I have a question for everybody. Which reciever would you purchase between the Onkyo TX-NR801 and the Harman Kardon AVR-630? I am big into movies and especially video games. I hear that the Harmans are cleaner sounding BUT have less bass and do not turn up as loud as the Onkyos. Then I heard that the Onkyos are more powerful and louder then the Harmans yet the clarity is not quite as good. I really appreciate any input that you all provide me. Thanks In Advance!!!!

Anthony_Br

Agent
Also what about the Harman Kardon AVR-7200 being thrown into in that mix? Can anybody help out? This is my 2nd post on this forum with no replys. Many Thanks in advance!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I have not heard the HK's but for me the Onkyo's are a nice unit. I had the 600. Depends what features you are looking for.
The 7200 is a steal over at onecall right now.
If it was me I would take the Onkyou just because of the net tune feature and the 801 is a great machine overall but then again the 7200 doesn't lack anywhere and MSRP was double the price of the Onkyo.
Though there seems to be some issues with the new 630 and audio drop outs.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
If you're really into movies Anthony, then I highly recommend the Yamaha RX-V2400, give it a listen and I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the HKs (both) over the Onkyo. And yes the 7200 if you can swing it is a steal.

Anthony_Br

Agent
Thanks for the input guys, any more is always welcome as I am still deciding. I guess I want a mixture of good bass AND clear sound and as I said I mostly play video games and watch movies. Thanks!

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I own Onkyo and Harman Kardon receivers and I'd take either Harman Kardon over the Onkyo. I think the Harmans actually have better bass and they have the edge in sound and build quality, especially the 7200 it weighs over twenty pouns more than the Onkyo. That's not to say the Onkyo is bad it is fine for movies and decent for music, the 7200 was originally $1799.00 so it's not a totally fair comparison. Don't believe all you may hear about QC problems with the Harmans , just go to the Home Theater Spot Manufacturers Spot Forum if you want to hear about Onkyo Quality control issues. Every manufacturer has problems that's why I always buy from authorized dealers . I believe both Onkyo and HK offer 2 year warranties on their receivers.

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator

I don't have much to say except that I got an Onkyo DR-C500 DVD player/receiver recently. It was one of the worst electronic purchase I ever did. I had to take it in to local authorized Onkyo repair shop 1 week after I bought it. It took 3 weeks to get it repaired. And it turned out to be some bad mpeg decoder. Now the player/receiver still has other issues with not able to load disc correctly. I think Onkyo really need to work on the quality of their unit. It's just too much of a headache to own an Onkyo with all the problems.

BTW, where is this 'Home Theater Spot Manufacturers Spot Forum' located? Is it a subforum somewhere here in Home Theater Forum?

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator

Uh, Hello? I wouldn't take the QC problems with H/K too lightly. This and other forums are fraught with the QC issues encountered with H/K as of late. That is not to say everyone doesn't have their share of problems, but IMO H/K's were too deterimental to the products useage and enjoyment.
After having owned 3 H/K 8000's (and wondering if they would die each time I powered them on) - then moving up to an Integra DTR8.3 - my life is much better :D

Personally I wouldn't touch an H/K ever again ... but that's from my experiences ... obviously other peoples mileage varies.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I don't think either manufacturer is totally problem free. However, my HK AVR 225 and 325 have been perfect. I had an Onkyo SR 500 that would not play the LFE channel. Yes the 8000 had problems the 7200 seems to be better. I' m glad you have had no problems with your Integra. The Manufacturer Spot is a sub forum of The Home Theater Spot. Read the Onkyo Forum for info about hissing ticking , audio dropouts and LFE problems with the Onkyo's. Integra is an upscale version of Onkyo, they used to be all hand assembled and made in Japan . I don't know if this is still the case. Anyway you look at it there are satisfied HK and Onkyo owners and there are those that had bad experiences. I would'nt rule out purchasing either product in the future.

BillSune

Agent
I've used both the HK 7000 (pre 7200)and the Onkyo TX-NR 900. Very very ballsy amps in the HK. Better sound quality out of Onkyo. I've stuck with the onkyo try to find 900 or 901 if you can online.

Bill

Danny D

Auditioning
Hey guys,

I found some website now sale new HK-7300 for $1399 !!
Onecall still show at $2100. So would you guys consider it over yam2400 and denon 3805 interm of this deal?
The 2400 now sale for only at $720 !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks