What's new

Buying a reciever with one less optical port .... um? (1 Viewer)

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
Hi Gang

Everyone here are helpful, courteous and professional - that's what makes a discussion forum a great place in which to post questions freely :cheers: (thank you)!

I've owned two Yamaha recievers over the years (enjoyed them), from an HTR-5835 to an RX-V467. But I was a bit behind the curve. As recievers evolve and technology continues to standardize, naturally we're seeing fewer ports as certain technology becomes less demanding. I still have a few older pieces of equipment specifically an older 'Compact CD Changer' limited to analog and optical outputs, (naturally I prefer a digital transfer). So now I'm shopping for a later model 5.1 reciever with 'ARC' but I'd like to still connect my older 'Compact CD Changer' ...

There's a 'budget model' 'Yamaha RX-V385BL' on Best Buy for $299, but it only has ONE optical port which is typically labeled for a TV. Can I assume the audio will be reliably connected thru 'ARC' matched with a recent model TV also with ARC, thus allowing a free optical port for the CD Changer? *Hopefully I can re-assign (using the remote), to indicate audio for the CD Changer? But am I 'over looking' any unforseen shortcomings/problems/conflicts? Rear connections: RX-V385

Thanks Again!

Production Project - North Africa WWII

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That should work fine. Assuming ARC functions properly (which we've already discussed elsewhere) and all digital inputs these days should be configurable. As in, you can reassign the optical input to activate when you select CD on your remote.

If you need a second optical input, you'll just need to go to a more expensive receiver. Probably quite a bit more expensive, but they are definitely available.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
You can also get an optical splitter, though those are a bit of a pain if you have to match video sources with them. I bought a Marantz because it has the best support for "legacy" inputs including multichannel analog which most others have dropped, for my analog sources (multiple VCRs and CED player) I just manually swap the cables on the front input.

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
Thanks Guys! :dancing-banana-04:

BTW - How would you guys rate that RX-V385 compared to the others: HTR-5835 and RX-V467?

Aside from naturally being a later model with ARC, hoping I get at least comparable wattage?

Thank You - Mike

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well there are other factors when looking at Yamahas besides ARC.

A. If you're planning on going 4k with a UHD Player or Roku Ultra, YOU. CAN. NOT. BUY. ANYTHING. BELOW. AN X81. PERIOD. That was the first gen to fully support HDCP 2.1. They tried it with the X79's but only on one input. Bad idea. Anyway, if you try to run a Roku Ultra on a X77 or below, it will comeback with an error saying this device's copy protection is not supported. That's the risk.

B. Wattage is overrated. You're only going to get 3DB more volume with every 100% increase. And the V467 was barely any more powerful than a 385 in terms of output.

C. At the end of the day, you need to consider room size and how many speakers you want. The Natural Sound line is no longer produced in configurations higher than 5.1. So if 6 or 7.1.2 is your endgoal you'll have to look at an Aventage or explore the used market.

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
Hello Mr. Lord Dalek

I'm a great editor @ 73 years old & disabled - but I don't know what an X81 is? Yes I do have roku Ultra but currently don't have any problems/issues with playback ....

Wattage - yes I realize those units are all over-rated. But I'm totally satisfied with what I hear now (the room is about 10X20) and the current arrangement kicks ass pretty good. I use Tannoys for fronts, a Polk Powered Sub and the rest are meager Yamaha boxes (its all very nice). Was never interested in 7 channels No No (5.1 is just fine).

I'd like to have the advantage of ARC and with a matching ARC TV ... (but with a meager financial upgrade). I think the RX-V385 should be fine ...

Thank You

Production Project - North Africa WWII

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yamaha uses a 3 number designation for their Natural Sound receiver models. The first digit determines the channel confuguration and features (3=5.1, 4=7.1, 5=7.1 with built in wifi/casting, etc.), the second and third are that year's model and usually go up in installments of two, so in 2016 they released the RX-V381, 2017...V383, 2018...385, you get the idea.

If you go on on ebay you'll probably find a lot of Natural Sound receivers with 377 or below. The X77's from 2014 were the last models to not support the 4k copy protection protocol. As such they have lost a lot of appeal to home theater enthusiasts.

For the record I have an RX-V383. As far as I can tell the only difference between it and the V385 is the latter is slightly smaller and runs entirely on Banana plugs. The 383 only uses those for the fronts.

Last edited:

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
Ok then Lord Dalek Thank you ....

So then it appears the 385 should be able to handle 4k - yes?

And the price is modest (then maybe I can sell my 467)?

As for Banana plugs, I would have actually preferred that style of connection but the darn things force the whole unit to 'stick out' problematically in the cabinet so I tin the leads of #12 gauge and just tighten em up under the posts carefully avoiding unwanted contact.

Thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks