What's new

Which CD-R do you use...mine skip after a while (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I had some problems with my Dreamcast reading Memorex discs, along with some other problems, and did some internet research. Settled on Imations as the best compromise between cost & quality - they go on sale infrequently, but they are cheap when they do. Had very good luck with them.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Has anyone who has had problems with Memorex know what the upper side of the disk looked like?

I seem to have uncovered a couple of surprising skips on some that have a silver surface.

But I have a lot of materiel on Memorex disks that are white, with purple lettering. I'm sure hoping they are trouble free.

:frowning:

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't really makes too much of a difference. A Memorex is still a Memorex.

"Is it live?... or is it Memorex?"
"believe me, you'll know when it's Memorex"

John Watson

Screenwriter
Scary. Half my collection is on Memorex. (I remember the Ella Fitzgerald commercials)

Just visited a CNet test report site, where in a test of 4 brands, Sony came last.

Just goes to show that brand names mean nothing in this technology jungle

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Just goes to show that brand names mean nothing in this technology jungle
Probably because the big factor is the computer and burner people use to burn the CD's. Just because person A has a problem with Brand A, doesn't mean that person B will have any problems. It's most likely person A's equipment that is causing the problems.

Maybe the "skipping" is due to too fast of a burn? Try burning at a slower speed and see if the discs still skip.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Let me put in another recommendation for Fuji. All of the Fujis marked Made in Japan are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, which is one of the best CD-R makers out there.
ditto that.

there is some application out there that you can download -- it will help identify who the manufacturer of your media is. i know i had it on my old pc. can't remember what it was called though...

john harshman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john
i use fujifilm cdr that were made by taiyo yuden and they worked great had some maxell made by them and even memorex music cdr-s with the glass breaking on the disc all taiyo yuden

but the last spindle of fuji i bought were made by Prodiscs
time will tell on these

Ritek dics are good

stay away from CMC MAGNETICS (JUNK!)

here is a program to check your cdrs nero does it as well
CD-R Identifier v1.63

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd...identifier.cfm

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
From Mark Hastings:

Probably because the big factor is the computer and burner people use to burn the CD's. Just because person A has a problem with Brand A, doesn't mean that person B will have any problems. It's most likely person A's equipment that is causing the problems.
Very true. I have CD-Rs that were burned with my old, old Plextor 4x writer that still hold all of their data. I was pulling material from my old archives last week and didn't encounter any bad burns. I pulled out some of my old demos that I had burned to CD-R and all of them have played well in my car audio system. These are various discs, from Kodak to Memorex to Sony to "Cool" discs.

However, I used to work in the university department that was responsible for burning all of the software to be distributed on campus. My boss insisted on Fuji discs. Everytime we tried a different brand like Memorex we would end up with more problem discs than usual. It wasn't a problem with unreadable discs per se, but some university machines just wouldn't read certain Memorex/Verbatim discs. We usually burned all of our discs at either 2x or 4x to make sure that legacy machines wouldn't have problems reading "fast" burns.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Actually, my system always starts with offering me 48x to burn, and I always choose 12x. The lowest speed offered is 8x, so maybe I will try that.

I am curious tho, whether an ordinary cd player may handle a cd with some defects (ie, play it without skips), but if that same disk is put into the computer to copy a track from it, the defect will become apparent (or "amplified") and get burned more clearly to the next disk to use that track?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Are all CD's capable of burning at high speeds? Maybe the reason why people get bad burns is because they are buying the "Cheaper" media. Only the expensive media is capable of high speeds.

I know there are CD's that boast "High Speed" capable, but what are the exact numbers?

I just had an expensive brand of TDK disc skip in my car, but I believe that might be because I burned it too fast. I don't think most CD's are capable of over 8-12x writing???

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I use a Lite On CD-RW drive and have a stack of TDK CD-R's. They've worked wonderfully for data and music so far.

I've only had the drive since April (my first CD-RW ever) and have had absolutely no problems with anything.

BTW, Lite On Roms are dirt cheap too!! (try

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I don't think most CD's are capable of over 8-12x writing???
i get average speeds of around 16-20x. i have a yamaha burner. i can't remember the setting in easy cd creator, but it's something like "choose the fastest you can go"....err...well, you get my drift.

i know i don't "hardcode" a certain speed...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ted, a lot of CD burning apps have an "Optimal" setting. I'm not exactly sure if the program can tell what kind of CD it is and then adjust it's speed accordingly, but it may be possible.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I'm not sure what they are claiming, but the Memorex cd-rs I've been buying over the last year used to state 24x multi-speed on the insert, but these days are stating 48x.

There seems to very little hard data available about quality and performance, the store I was in today had lots of Memorex, Sony, and some other brands I've never heard of, but none of the "superior" or "certified" names a few posters have mentioned.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'm confused by some of the posting regarding speed.

My Lite On is rated 48x24x48x. I have TDK CD-R's that are rated at 48x. I burn at 48x.

My brother burned a disc at 48x (with a 52x Lite On burner).

Like I said earlier, I've burned a couple audio discs and my bro burned an audio disc the night I installed his drive. We've never had so much as a skip in any cd player and if the quality mp3 is decent, the music sounds flawless.

I also burned a data disc for him at 48x with over 600mb of files (PWF addons for the ever popular Nascar Racing 2003 simulation by Papyrus). It took 3:03 to burn and installed on his pc flawlessly.

Check it out. CR-RW drives starting at $36.99 with bundled Nero software! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member

John Watson

Screenwriter
Just came across this article by Fred Langa, notice the concern about high humidity, and glued on labels affecting CD-R lifespan.

I'm trying to copy some of my stuff on Memorex disks to the Verbatim "vinyl" look disks, to (I hope) ensure a long listening life. Since starting I've encountered several "digital drops" and outright skips on some tracks on some of the Memorex disks. :frowning:

http://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=15800263

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks