Which CD-R do you use...mine skip after a while

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Shawn.G, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I use the Memorex 700mb, 80min CD-Rs. After I burn a cd, it will start to skip after a week or so, even if it has no scratches. I would like to know which cd-r is the best quality. I burn mp3s, and I make sure they are 128 or better. Even after I burn the cd with mp3s it will sound fine. But after a week it starts to skip, and there are no scratches on the cd. Please help. Thank you.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Check out CDfreaks.com, in the articles section they have links to the best CDR-media brands. Check that out.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea my Memorex's bought at Best Buy don't really last that long compared to others I've had. I've recently been using TDK's and they seem pretty reliable.

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I use nothing but Verbatim DataLife Plus. They use a metal Azo Blue dye layer (it looks Peacock Blue), instead of an organic dye layer that 95% of the other use. The only problem I've had is finding it at retail. None of the stores (BB, CompUSA, etc) in my area stock them, so I order them online.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

So far I've used more than 10,000 pieces of Princo. The first disc I used 2 years ago and put in the car still works like a charm

6. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I've had great luck with Fuji CD's. Best Buy puts 'em on sale every now and then so they can be had for dirt cheap.

Andrej

7. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Taiyo Yuden Pthatocyanine discs will last for many, many years - they are tough to find though.

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I use Fuji most of the time at the recommendation of active Grateful Dead and DMB traders...Taiyo Yuden when I can find them at the right price.

9. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

Most brands I have tried so far have worked great. I have one CD-R (I believe it is a Memorex) that I have been using for a couple of years with a music mix that has not given me any problems.

I know there are some CD-R marked specifically for music (they are a bit more). You may want to try one of those. They are made for the desktop CD recorders as some of those units will not record reliably to a CD-R for data.

Cheers..John

10. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    No point in buying these audio CD-Rs when you use them with a computer. They just cost more, but don't give you any quality advantage.

-Christian

11. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Those DVDs are coded with license so consumer standalone CD recorder can record onto them. No special quality whatsoever.

12. Steven K

13. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I've had problems with Memorex, I don't buy them. I use standard Verbatim's and I'm happy with them.

14. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Let me put in another recommendation for Fuji. All of the Fujis marked Made in Japan are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, which is one of the best CD-R makers out there.

I never pay more that $4.99 for a spindle of 50 Fujis at Best Buy because they have them on sale about once a month.

15. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Wow, thank you everyone for your help. The Memorex were really making me angry. I will look for fuji cd-rs on sale from now on.
    I have a question about the music cd-r. Will they work on the Xbox which doesn't read burned cds? Thank you.

16. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Shawn:

I'd recommend the TDKs (ESPECIALLY the certified plus CDs). They're expensive, and perhaps hard to find, but they do a great job. They also have the blue dye layer everyone seems to be talking about.

As for your music CD-R: my guess is it wont play in your XBox without tweaking of such a nature that it is likely prohibited from discussion in this forum. Don't have an XBox, though, so I dont know for sure.

17. Steven K

18. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

Steven:

Thanks for the information. I have a friend with a desktop CD-R in his HT setup, and we tried some of my CD-Rs (for data and music) and the recorder wouldn't record. The friend went out and bought some of the "music only" CD-Rs and they worked. He did pay more for them; I thought they were better quality optimized for music. Should have known that there was some greedy monetary gain in the music industries' part.

cheers..John

19. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

20. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I've had good luck with the Sony discs. I tend to avoid Memorex because I always hear bad things about them. I've gone through a couple of Verbatim spindles and they work well except for a couple discs which skipped in my picky car changer.