What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Too bad about the cancellation.

I've been meaning to mention that I noticed a little nod to VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA in this past week's episode. Early on, one of the guys is caught on board the sub with some drugs - his name was "Kowalski." It went by quick but you can catch it both verbally and on a quick view of his uniform.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have been watching season 3 and 4 along with the Time Tunnel on Fridays of course. Saturday I wanted to watch the Voyage episode the Mummy again. I just for some reason enjoy that episode. I forgot that at the end Lee asks Nelson what do you make of what we have been through. RIchard Basehart looks straight into the camera at us and states there are some things we can never explain. I just love that moment and I do not think he ever did that again in the series. I also enjoy watching this episode because it has the movie score from the Rains of Ranchipur in it. I happen to be saving the Voyage Christmas to almost the very last.
Sorry folks but one more thing I saw in Season 3 which I forgot was the episode of the Flying Sub in its birth and you see it being launched from inside the Seaview. I thought that was cool.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I watched the Lost Bomb from season 3 last night. Great episode no monsters. The Haunted Sub is a good one too. I know every one hates it but I feel there are some good episodes in there. You can see Richard Bashart is enjoying himself. I love how sparks calls the Vulcan " this is the SSNR Seaview" how that got by I do not know. I read in the Voyage Book how David Hedison loved to go next door to the Peyton Place set and try to hit on some of those Peyton Place gals.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Mark Collins said:
I watched the Lost Bomb from season 3 last night.
On a side note did you know that a much younger Jack Nicholson was in that episode. Watch it again and see if you can spot him. I haven't yet looked for him as yet. I too will watch it again and see if I can spot him.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0742320/fullcredits#cast
Jack Nicholson Crewman (uncredited)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by KarlB737 /t/185610/when-are-we-going-to-see-a-voyage-to-the-bottom-of-the-sea-dvd-release/1650#post_4017358
On a side note did you know that a much younger Jack Nicholson was in that episode. Watch it again and see if you can spot him. I haven't yet looked for him as yet. I too will watch it again and see if I can spot him.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0742320/fullcredits#cast
Jack Nicholson Crewman (uncredited)

Could that be him on the left side of this picture?

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry thanks for the shot! I wish Victor Mature had a photo from the episode he was in. I am mixing seasons 2-4 right now on weekends. Season 3 as I have said before is not all bad. I have found some good ones. I am going to watch Blow Up one of my favorties from season 4 tonight along with TIme Tunnel. Gary keep the polish on the Basehart Statue in your Den. Here things were pretty dusty with decorations and all. Glad I have them down and now have restored my model of Seaview over the fireplace once more.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Nope, not Nicholson. That's an Urban Legend that's been going around for years. Nicholson was already an established movie and TV actor, he'd have no need to do a non-speaking background part. Plus, he was younger looking and thinner then (he was only 29). It kind of resembles and older version of him, but no, he was not in Voyage. The IMDB is like Wikipedia, so don't accept that information as gospel.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've been watching S4 of VTTBOTS the past couple of weeks. I don't think I've ever seen this season before. When the program originally aired I caught as many episodes as I could (it was a favorite) but had to miss most of the episodes due to conflicts with its time slots and have never seen it in syndication. Even the ones I managed to watch were usually only the first 20 minutes or so after which I'd have to leave, but I *loved* that 20 minutes. I'm amazed at the number of bad scripts, lack of science/physics, cheesy effects/monsters, over use of stock footage, etc. in this season. One episode, "Secret of the Deep", seems to be made up of over 50% recycled footage and actually recycled entire sections of the monster-of-the-week footage from a S2 episode! While the 9 year old in me likes the season (after all - that's the demographic it seems to be after at this point), as an adult I have many, many issues. Video/audio quality is great! While I'm glad I own the season it's very rough going! It's also amazing to watch a S1 episode and then one from S4 to see just how much the program changed from its original premis and promise. Of course, Lost in Space did pretty much the same thing. I'm sure the "suits" at ABC are partially to blame for the change in tone of the series (you know... the "sci-fi is for kids" approach) but you have to wonder just *what* was Irwin Allen thinking and why didn't he fight more to keep the show more adult/serious in nature.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
... but you have to wonder just *what* was Irwin Allen thinking and why didn't he fight more to keep the show more adult/serious in nature.
Remember that back in the '60s, no one - really NO ONE, had any clue that these TV show would have any life after an original run or rerun. They were thought of as disposable hours of entertainment, designed to attract as many eyeballs as they could muster, so they could sell more soap/cereal/cigarettes/cars, and then they were supposed to vanish in the mists of history.
If the rubber monster shows got better ratings, and they demonstrably did, then that's what the network wanted more of. It wasn't considered high art, they weren't even really striving for Emmy Awards with these shows. They were just harmless hours of entertainment. If a section of footage was re-used, well, most people wouldn't remember. If seams showed in a monster costume, well, 19" TV's weren't so good that anyone would really notice. If an uncredited extra got killed twice in the same episode, and then came back for more next week, well, it didn't matter because very few would catch on to that practice.
The fact that we now have detailed DVDs with freeze-frame capabilities, and the power to really study everything going on, is what makes us think these type of shows were somehow compromised or cheap or not well-thought out. The fact is they were great for the time they were designed for, and we must remember that as we're given the opportunity to peek back into time.
Harry

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I think the drop in quality and production values over the course of the series probably was due to Allen's legendary cheapness. He always tended to spend a lot on the pilots and early episodes and then gradually diminish the budget. Supposedly he sold the concept of TIME TUNNEL with the guarantee that much of it would use stock footage from old movies that the studio owned. Of course, the execs loved that plan!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Just an edjumacated guess here on my part......:D I think part of it, too, was when the switch over to color happened, a lot of shows went to a "look what we can do in color now" and it didn't matter what weird conglomerations of color they threw up on the screen, by golly, it was color!!!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Those are all part of the equation to be sure, but you cannot absolve the network itself for meddling with the shows. There is much evidence that both CBS and ABC urged Irwin Allen to camp his shows up - to make them more like BATMAN, so he obliged. And the weeks that the monsters showed up improved the ratings from the rather adult cold-war stories on VOYAGE. No-one operates in a vacuum, and you have to look at all of the factors to understand some of the decisions made back then. Harry

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Harry-N said:
... but you have to wonder just *what* was Irwin Allen thinking and why didn't he fight more to keep the show more adult/serious in nature.
Remember that back in the '60s, no one - really NO ONE, had any clue that these TV show would have any life after an original run or rerun. They were thought of as disposable hours of entertainment, designed to attract as many eyeballs as they could muster, so they could sell more soap/cereal/cigarettes/cars, and then they were supposed to vanish in the mists of history.
Actually the networks were syndicating some of their product in the late 50s. It was during the mid-60s when the networks began to realize just how much money could be made from the syndication of a popular series. They'd seen early success stories, especially what Desi Arnaz did with I Love Lucy, and wanted in on that action.
Harry-N said:
If the rubber monster shows got better ratings, and they demonstrably did, then that's what the network wanted more of. It wasn't considered high art, they weren't even really striving for Emmy Awards with these shows. They were just harmless hours of entertainment. If a section of footage was re-used, well, most people wouldn't remember. If seams showed in a monster costume, well, 19" TV's weren't so good that anyone would really notice. If an uncredited extra got killed twice in the same episode, and then came back for more next week, well, it didn't matter because very few would catch on to that practice.
To a degree that's true. I was 9-12 when this series originally aired but even back then I noticed stuff like rubber suits/zippers/over use of "stock" footage/reuse of the same scene week after week after week. While not in VTTBOTS, as I never got to see a full episode during the original airings, I *did* notice in other series and so did many of my friends. We'd talk about it the next day at school. Allen is somewhat notoriously known for his cheapness in producing a series (especially after the first few seasons and/or episodes) but I still feel he allowed the network suits to interfere more than was necessary. Yes, rubber suited time travelling alien monster shows would pull in the numbers but they also ultimately lead to the demise of many programs as the more adult viewer just gave up.
Harry-N said:
The fact that we now have detailed DVDs with freeze-frame capabilities, and the power to really study everything going on, is what makes us think these type of shows were somehow compromised or cheap or not well-thought out. The fact is they were great for the time they were designed for, and we must remember that as we're given the opportunity to peek back into time. Harry
You don't need freeze-frame for the glaring dificencies on display in the 4th (and 3rd to a degree) season of VTTBOTS. I've seen the *exact* 10 second section of the Flying Sub as many as 3 times in the *same episode*. People notice that and did in the 60s too. I believe some blame can be put on other Allen series. Lost in Space and The Time Tunnel were both being produced during this final season and Land of the Giants was in the works. From what I understand Allen liked to be involved in just about all aspects of a production and this had to dilute his time and energy.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
HAPPY NEW YEAR Sorry guys I am on the side of the rubber suites! I love all seasons of Voyage. Time Tunnel was off the air during LIS and Voyage last season. Allen introduced a new opening to LIS and Voyage. He also added pressure hatch chamber and a revamped Nelson Institute office. The Flying Sub claw was also added. Plans were to add walking machines on the ocean bottom for season 5 that looked very much like the robot walkers on Empire Strikes back. I love the acting and the camaraderie of the actors on the show. Voyage would have gone on as would have LIS and Tunnel. ABC told Allen it would put Tunnel up against LIS on CBS Giants in the Friday night Tunnel slot in 67-68 season and Voyage left where it was for season 4. Allen wanted Giants in the Invaders time slot but ABC said no. He waited until 1968 to put Giants ON and canceled Tunnel IN 1967 after it's first season and kept LIS and Voyage for one more season. Giants of course took the Voyage spot in the fall of 68 and Allen only had Giants for a network series. ABC also had a new program director which led to the Tunnel cancelation in 67. LIS would have gone on too but was to be cheaped down for season 4. Allen rejected it and concentrated on Giants. Voyage was in the way in the fall of 68 and Allen really wanted Giants and the show only lasted 2 years as a series with some Voyage actors in Giants first season. The strange thing in Chicago was LIS and Giants never were syndicated expect LIS many years later. TT and Voyage were repeated over and over again. You could see these guys on Voyage really liked working together and there was always a joke at the end of the show or sometimes in the middle of. I too watched it as a kid and would see it in syndication here in Chicago direct in 68 after being canceled. Time Tunnel and Voyage were both sold right after cancelation. Tunnel fall 1967 in prime time on our channel 9. The show TT aired 1 episode a week . Voyage 1968 on our other local station before the five local news. Tunnel was aired opposite in prime time no less against the last season of I Dream Of Jeanne. Voyage was aired before the news atfer kids getting home from school 5 days a week. I never once saw stock footage in the show when I watched it as a kid. I am now as I have PM Gary watching what I think is the best of seasons 2-4 Voyage and will comment when I think I find a good episode. I also liked the fact that Irwin Allen ran films in front of nose of Seaview to make it more real for the actors how cool is that. I also like in season 4 how the flying sub comes in from the side of Seaview to birth. Richard Basehart’s performance on that show is stellar. Voyage and Time Tunnel are the best looking DVDs I own. ABC telling it to look like Batman no way. Voyage was never campy! LIS could be and and that was the best part of that show. Allen stated Voyage was a serious show and would get angry if a bad joke got past him. Yes the ratings ran up during monster episodes. So that is why we have them. Basehart said himself they still throw in an Adult episode here and there. He also said in the interview sure we have crazy monsters but we have stories adults can sink their teeth into. He said older folks enjoy the show very much. He was right my Grandma along yes with Star Trek loved the show. We would watch it together mainly in syndication when she got home from work. Basehart and Hedison even entertained the troops. Heck I never look now for stock footage or monsters suits from Voyage when I watch my DVDs I just sit back and want to be entertained. Just like a kid I am. Dark Shadows is the same way. Why watch if your going to pick at every aspect of the show. Simple just do not watch. There has never been another show like Voyage including Sea Quest which in many ways tried to copy Voyage. Voyage is still being pushed around at the studios as a new feature film but you would have to ask Kevin Burns about that progress. I want to see the original movie in BD and hope it happpens. I also love season 1 but guys there are monsters in it too. 4 or 5 I believe episodes contain them. Like I said to Gary when I find episode I like I shall report on it. How many threads here do the same thing I have many series yet to watch and finish but I thought heck I want to Voyage and I am going to. I have to add this for Bob. I had a friend tell me "Mark how many times does the Seaview hit the same rock and who would board the Flying Sub when it crashs most of the time" LOL Long Live Voyage!!!!!!!!!!

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
I think David has aged a little more (as we would expect) since the interviews he did on the DVDs we have. Here is a more recent interview I believe from late last year. See if you think he looks slightly older and note if you detect a difference in his manner of speech. None of this is intended as criticism just observations. Voyage To The Bottom Of the Sea David Hedison Interview

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Karl thank you sir for that clip!!!! I also saw a guy after watching the clip useing a model of Seaview in his swimming pool. Gary have you got your model put together yet? Well my friend as I said i was lucky to ask at a small model store if they knew anyone who would put my model together and they said yes. I have one last episode from Season 3 left to watch. The last one was a whole bunch of stock film from season 1 and 2 mixed into a sort of non monster plot which did come until right at the end. You know what I will be watching on Saint Pats day and it falls on a Sunday too. Great story Voyage Fans and I cannot wait. You people are too hard on the writers of Voyage.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We recently got word on the Time Tunnel Fan Forum that David Hedison had suffered some heart problems. This word came on a posting on February 10th and we all wish Mr. Hedison the best for a speedy recovery. Harry

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Collins
Gary have you got your model put together yet? Well my friend as I said i was lucky to ask at a small model store if they knew anyone who would put my model together and they said yes.

Nope. And unfortunately I have no idea when that will happen. Hopefully some day. :)
Gary "glad you can admire your Seaview all put together" O.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
VOYAGE has its enduring fan base following the same as any other classic tv series and (as I have surely must have mentioned before) it is time to look ahead in anticipation of an upgraded blu-ray release a la THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64). There is much more material that can be featured this time around: *original tv promos for all four seasons *the three upcoming episode compilation previews originally appended to the initial three first season (1964-65) episodes aired *all the next week previews seen in the second (1965-66), third (1966-67) and fourth season (1967-68) episodes *the "In Colour" pre-teaser bumpers for all third and fourth season episodes *a restoration of the original main title for the unaired colour pilot "Eleven Days to Zero (14/09/1964) *possible music tracks Quite an undertaking but in addition to the newer upgrading of the blu-ray medium itself well worth making the entire series available again. Keep in mind that sooner-or-later the standard DVD release must surely go out-of-print. We are very fortunate that THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) was (virtually) complete in what was included. Only three additions are necessary for an upgraded blu-ray release: *the inclusion of all the "In Colour" pre-teaser bumpers *the missing one minute footage of the two time wanderers seen back in the multi-coloured dimensional vortex (originally shown just before the cliffhanger ending) at the conclusion of "Secret Weapon" (25/11/1966). *possible music tracks Jeff T. :D

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jeff count me in but I just do not think it will happen. I feel this way because of the time it took to get a full release of season 4. I want to see the movie in blu-ray and hope Twilight Time will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks