1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the name of this movie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anders Englund, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Well-Known Member

I saw it on TV like 15 years ago, so it's probably a 70's or early 80' movie. It's a sci-fi, but all I can remember for sure is that it was about some virus which dehydrated the victims, turning their blood into a red powder...

--Anders

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that the film is The Andromeda Strain. The Region 1 DVD is now out of print. It was an early Image title licensed from Universal Pictures. I never owned this version, but it is my understanding that this release had a poor transfer. Given that Universal has re-released Midway, hopefully a better version of this title will be forthcoming from Universal some day.
    - Walter.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Well-Known Member

Great movie. The DVD got so-so reviews so I still have the LD.

4. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. I hope it'll be out again soon. I recall I rather liked it.

--Anders

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Well-Known Member

The Andromeda Strain sounds right, directed by Robert Wise (West Side Story ???), and if I remember correct, it's also the book that launched Michael Crichton.

6. JoelH

JoelH Well-Known Member

Steve -- you're right, it was Crichton's first big seller and, IMO, just about the best book he has written.

You can still catch this movie on Sci-Fi once in a while. I think I caught in on IFC once as well.

----

Joel

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Well-Known Member

I own the DVD of Andromeda Strain and it is pretty bad. No real menu except when you press menu, it goes to the scene selection. I enjoy this movie very much. I wish Crichton's other film's would come to DVD, at least The Terminal Man comes to mind. I own the VHS P&S version, but well, it's obvious as to why I would prefer a DVD version. I am interested in hearing the opinion of those that own the LD version. How is it? Sound? Aspect Ratio? Any features? I would love a better version of this film on DVD, but I think it's very unlikely.
    I think that WestWorld is on DVD. Any Crichton fans own that one? And what about Coma? I don't think that is on DVD. Finally, is Crichton's The Great Train Robbery a movie (I do believe that I have seen a movie called The Great Train Robbery, but didn't know if it was based on Crichton's novel) and is it on DVD?
    I also loved the book for the Andromeda Strain.
    By the way, I believe I heard that WestWorld was one of the very first films to use [a] computer image/s. Anyone know any different?

8. Steve_Ch

>>I wish Crichton's other film's would come to DVD>Finally, is Crichton's The Great Train Robbery a movie (I do believe that I have seen a movie called The Great Train Robbery, but didn't know if it was based on Crichton's novel) and is it on DVD?

9. Brad_W

Brad_W Well-Known Member

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    coma was from a book written by robin cook. crichton dir and may have helped on the screenplay.

also didn't a famous actor make a screen debut as one of the bodies?

11. Brad_W

Brad_W Well-Known Member

12. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    I am surprised no one else mentioned that Universal is preparing a special edition DVD release of this movie for 2002.

13. Brad_W

Brad_W Well-Known Member

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Well-Known Member

15. Steve_Ch

>>Throw in a naked alien lady with big boobs and you've got Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce!

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Well-Known Member

Yeah, that red powder coming out of one of the bodies early on in AS made a real impression on me as a kid.
    Come to think of it, so did the boobs in Lifeforce [​IMG]
    I have to be honest, I prefer the films he directed of his own work (and Coma which he helped on the screenplay). Westworld, Looker, Runaway. My other 2 favs on film would be AS and 13th Warrior.
    I enjoy JP, but I liked the book a LOT more. I thought SS cutesied it up too much (although it's not like MC wasn't involved with it himself).