What's new

What's the name of this movie? (1 Viewer)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I saw it on TV like 15 years ago, so it's probably a 70's or early 80' movie. It's a sci-fi, but all I can remember for sure is that it was about some virus which dehydrated the victims, turning their blood into a red powder...

--Anders

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly certain that the film is The Andromeda Strain. The Region 1 DVD is now out of print. It was an early Image title licensed from Universal Pictures. I never owned this version, but it is my understanding that this release had a poor transfer. Given that Universal has re-released Midway, hopefully a better version of this title will be forthcoming from Universal some day.
- Walter.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
The Andromeda Strain sounds right, directed by Robert Wise (West Side Story ???), and if I remember correct, it's also the book that launched Michael Crichton.

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
Steve -- you're right, it was Crichton's first big seller and, IMO, just about the best book he has written.

You can still catch this movie on Sci-Fi once in a while. I think I caught in on IFC once as well.

----

Joel

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I own the DVD of Andromeda Strain and it is pretty bad. No real menu except when you press menu, it goes to the scene selection. I enjoy this movie very much. I wish Crichton's other film's would come to DVD, at least The Terminal Man comes to mind. I own the VHS P&S version, but well, it's obvious as to why I would prefer a DVD version. I am interested in hearing the opinion of those that own the LD version. How is it? Sound? Aspect Ratio? Any features? I would love a better version of this film on DVD, but I think it's very unlikely.
I think that WestWorld is on DVD. Any Crichton fans own that one? And what about Coma? I don't think that is on DVD. Finally, is Crichton's The Great Train Robbery a movie (I do believe that I have seen a movie called The Great Train Robbery, but didn't know if it was based on Crichton's novel) and is it on DVD?
I also loved the book for the Andromeda Strain.
By the way, I believe I heard that WestWorld was one of the very first films to use [a] computer image/s. Anyone know any different?

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>I wish Crichton's other film's would come to DVD>Finally, is Crichton's The Great Train Robbery a movie (I do believe that I have seen a movie called The Great Train Robbery, but didn't know if it was based on Crichton's novel) and is it on DVD?

Brad_W

Screenwriter
And a lot of them do, such as Jurassic Park
Actually, now that I think about it, most of them are on DVD.
Crichton Films after my exhaustive seach:
The Andromeda Strain (1971) VHS and DVD (OOP)
The Terminal Man (1972) VHS only
Westworld (1973) DVD and VHS
Coma (1978) DVD and VHS
The Great Train Robbery (1979) DVD and VHS
Runnaway (starring Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons [of Kiss fame] and directed by Michael Crichton, but not based on a book of his) (1984) DVD and VHS
Rising Sun (1993) DVD and VHS
Jurassic Park (1994) DVD and VHS
Disclosure (1994) DVD and VHS
Congo (1995) DVD and VHS
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997) DVD and VHS
Sphere (1998) DVD and VHS
The 13th Warrior (1999) DVD and VHS (based on book, Eaters of the Dead)
For the few of you that cared.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
coma was from a book written by robin cook. crichton dir and may have helped on the screenplay.

also didn't a famous actor make a screen debut as one of the bodies?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am surprised no one else mentioned that Universal is preparing a special edition DVD release of this movie for 2002.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Throw in a naked alien lady with big boobs and you've got Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that red powder coming out of one of the bodies early on in AS made a real impression on me as a kid.
Come to think of it, so did the boobs in Lifeforce ;)
I have to be honest, I prefer the films he directed of his own work (and Coma which he helped on the screenplay). Westworld, Looker, Runaway. My other 2 favs on film would be AS and 13th Warrior.
I enjoy JP, but I liked the book a LOT more. I thought SS cutesied it up too much (although it's not like MC wasn't involved with it himself).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks