What's new

What would you like to see next from criterion? (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Id like some of my DVDs upgraded such as Devil and Daniel Webster, Equinox, Carnival of Souls, Night and the City, Fiend without a Face, Kwaidan and Le Samourai for starters
For new stuff... anything in my collection is always welcome..Id love Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway, I do like early 30s-50s stuff as well so Id be open to a lot including In a Lonely Place, She, The Glass Key, Topper, Targets, Impact, Nightmare Alley etc
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE is one of my all time favourite sci-fi films. Have lost count of the number of times that I have seen it on dvd and in the cinema.A very scary film when it was originally released in the cinemas

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Paul Rossen said:
Did you see the uncut version?

My request(s) for Criterion are ...

1. New transfer for SPARTACUS
2. The completely forgotten 3 hr version of Carl Foreman's THE VICTORS
Yes-I did see the uncut version. Far too many great films were cut after their Roadshow screenings,before their general release. THE SAND PEBBLES was a masterpiece when I saw it in NYC at the Rivoli cinema. It was a mess after the length was reduced.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Dick said:
Sirens is available as a nice region-free Blu-ray, and is pretty loaded with supps:

http://www.daaveedee.com/product_info.php?products_id=127738

Sirens (that non-anamorphic dvd from Miramax is just plain unwatchable on any current display)
Thanks for the tip .. I tracked down a copy in New Zealand for only $18 including postage. A favourite movie -- I lived for the time near the film's locations and I LOVE Tara FitzGerald!

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
THE-DEVILS1.jpg

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
davidmatychuk said:
I tried to edit this, but couldn't, in order to add the following:

Television Toys (I know it's Voyager)

Adding titles in my collection that Criterion issued on Laserdisc that some other company has issued on Blu-Ray:

Sid & Nancy (many extras and commentary)
This Is Spinal Tap (some extras and commentary)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (CAV) (the Keanu & Winona "Edit your own scene" feature alone is priceless)
Trainspotting (if only for the "glossary of terms" insert, because if ever a film required one, this is it)
Television Toys was a fun Laser Disc. I'd buy that on Bluray or DVD.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
LouA said:
Television Toys was a fun Laser Disc. I'd buy that on Bluray or DVD.
As I posted about "Television Toys" in another thread, there's nothing better if you want to hush a roomful of middle-aged men (in a good way).

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
cinerama10 said:
Yes-I did see the uncut version. Far too many great films were cut after their Roadshow screenings,before their general release. THE SAND PEBBLES was a masterpiece when I saw it in NYC at the Rivoli cinema. It was a mess after the length was reduced.
The shortened version of TSP is not a mess. But I will agree that the original version shown at The Rivoli (for about a month) is a better experience. I would have loved to have seen the 202 minute preview version.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I most desperately want a blu-ray upgrade of Criterion's wonderful THIEF OF BAGDAD (1940) transfer. It feels like I've been waiting and waiting for that one.

cinerama10 said:
TALES OF HOFFMAN was a great film.It was originally released in 70mm .
You MUST be mistaken! I don't know if it was ever re-issued as a 70mm blow-up but certainly not originally, not in 1951.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
AnthonyClarke said:
By coincidence we watched our Criterion Tales of Hoffman DVD last night.
I was unaware it was released in 70mm ... was this format used for any other Academy ratio (non-Widescreen) movie? The image even on DVD is uncannily precise.
It was used for GONE WITH THE WIND back in 1967. Also JULIUS CAESAR ( the Marlon Brando version) as well as MAN OF LA MANCHA . What a mess the GWTW blow up was. It looked even worse when I saw it on a huge Cinerama screen. NAPOLEON ( silent classic) was another blow up. TALES OF HOFFMAN was blown up to 70mm for screening in Europe only . Blow-ups to 70mm was very common in Europe in the seventies and eighties.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
cinerama10 said:
It was used for GONE WITH THE WIND back in 1967. Also JULIUS CAESAR ( the Marlon Brando version) as well as MAN OF LA MANCHA . What a mess the GWTW blow up was. It looked even worse when I saw it on a huge Cinerama screen. NAPOLEON ( silent classic) was another blow up. TALES OF HOFFMAN was blown up to 70mm for screening in Europe only . Blow-ups to 70mm was very common in Europe in the seventies and eighties.
Other non wide screen blows up were (correct me if I am wrong) Jacques Tati's TRAFFIC and Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
cinerama10 said:
Tales of Hoffman must have been as big as mess as Gone With The Wind was blown up to 70mm. Since both were 1.37:1.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Will Krupp said:
I most desperately want a blu-ray upgrade of Criterion's wonderful THIEF OF BAGDAD (1940) transfer. It feels like I've been waiting and waiting for that one.

You MUST be mistaken! I don't know if it was ever re-issued as a 70mm blow-up but certainly not originally, not in 1951.
Certainly it wasn't in 1951.Not sure when it was blown-up for a European reissue - probably in the seventies when 70mm blows were common in Europe.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Paul Rossen said:
The shortened version of TSP is not a mess. But I will agree that the original version shown at The Rivoli (for about a month) is a better experience. I would have loved to have seen the 202 minute preview version.
Are you sure that it was only for a month? I saw in June 1967 after it had been playing for several months.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
cinerama10 said:
The point is that you said that HOFFMAN was originally released in 70mm, which it wasn't.
However, I did see GWTW, Julius Caesar (Brando), 7 Brides, and others in 70mm blowups.
The original NAPOLEON was not a blow up. It was released in 35mm and used the Polyvision process, akin to Cinerama, in the final reel, the way I saw it in Oakland 2 years ago.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Yes indeed, definitely the 1940 THIEF OF BAGDAD - one of my top ten.

My main want would be the set of 6 von Sternberg/Dietrich films, transferred from the UCLA restorations. The earlier DVD release of SCARLET EMPRESS left much to be desired; very grainy, the same as all prints deriving from Universal's material. I used to have a 16mm "original" (= TV print) of that title and it was also very grainy.

Reissues of the von Sternberg silents would also be nice, especially DOCKS OF NEW YORK.

While we're on the subject of von Sternberg, how about his last film, ANATAHAN? I don't believe it's ever had a US release in any format (there is a French DVD); it's as gorgeous to look at as his Paramount films.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
cinerama10 said:
Are you sure that it was only for a month? I saw in June 1967 after it had been playing for several months.
You did not see the original Roadshow version of TSP in June 1967. Certainly not at The Rivoli. It was shortened only a few weeks after the Dec '66 opening and was the short version I took my parents to see at The Rivoli in May '67.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks