What's new

What would you like to see next from criterion? (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Hoffmann originally released in 70mm? Where?
I took a course on P&P with Bill Everson; plus saw all the films that MoMA showed during a retrospective of The Archers, and by Powell without Pressburger, and never heard this fact.
I do agree that it is a great film, and Sir Thomas Beecham adds a lot to its magic.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
cinerama10 said:
I agree with you re MARTY and WAY OUT WEST. Both classics. THE ALAMO was fantastic when seen in 70mm. The music was unforgettable. a pity it was later cut for non roadshow release.( including two songs).Luckily I have the full version on dvd. It was a massive flop when first released in the cinemas in 70mm. It had its flaws: Some of the casting was bad-Lawrence Harvey and John Wayne, but the battle scenes and especially the extremely moving finale were worth the price of admission. It does however, drag on for too long. It was Wayne's ego trip that badly misfired. It won the Oscar for best sound and that was truly deserved.That was the one thing that I never forgot after seeing in in 70mm. It would have been a far better film if it told the true story of the battle of the Alamo and not Wayne's much distorted Hollywood version.
It's as true as anything you are going to find. All of the major events are there. Beyond that, there is not a lot of detail known.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd like to see Criterion rescue some unreleased films (in the US anyway) from David Lynch, Wong Kar Wai, Kieslowski, Hitchcock, Woody Allen, Scorsese, etc. The rights might be with others (Kino, Sony, Universal, WB, Fox, Disney), but they don't seem to bother releasing them. :(

I'd like to see them take a stab at some titles that the studios have released on BD but haven't bothered producing extras for (Barry Lyndon, Lolita). Oh, and to get Spartacus done right on BD.

I'd also like to see some some more Shakespeare on BD (Olivier, Welles, Branagh's Henry V, McKellan in Richard III) and titles like The Lion in Winter.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
It really is encouraging to see the love for The Archers.

I hope Criterion are listening.

Steve W

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
More silents from Criterion. The Chaplin and Lloyd releases have been outstanding, not to mention gems like People On Sunday and Lonesome. I'd love to see them work out something with Warner Bros. to license the still unreleased MGM silents like Greed, The Wind, The Crowd, and The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
David Weicker said:
A Matter Of Life And Death49th ParallelHeaven Can WaitYoung And InnocentPreston Sturges box(Christmas In JulyGreat McGintyHail The Conquering HeroLady EveMiracle Of Morgan's CreekPalm Beach StorySullivan's Travels)Hey, I can dream too
cinerama10 said:
All classic films .I imagine that you mean the original HEAVEN CAN WAIT, not the 1967 remake with Warren Beatty.

Yes, the Lubitsch version from 1943 - Gene Tierney, Don Ameche, Charles CoburnAlthough I do enjoy the 1978 - Warren Beatty, Julie Christie title (a remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan, not Heaven Can Wait).

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I would like to add to my prior request and put un a hope for some classic foreign silent and early sound films - particularly some that have been released abroad such as the films of Marcel L'Herbier (i.e. L' Inhumaine and L'Argent.)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
cinerama10 said:
A great cast but mostly a forgotten film today.It would unlikely to sell in huge numbers. Then again,one wonders why so many crappy films are even released on bluray let alone on dvd. (90% of them). What about THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN - a much loved film from Fox -one of the first films shot in cinemascope.THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN ( released in 70mm) and SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS ( 70MM blow-up) and THOUROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE are other fantastic musicals that I would truly love to see on bluray.
As wonderful as those titles are none of them would be released by Criterion, which is what this thread is about. THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN should see light of day from Fox or Twilight. Warner's would never let go of MOLLY BROWN or SEVEN BRIDES. Universal would also hang on to MODERN MILLIE. LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR is not a crappy film and is a title that would be right up Criterion's alley. The problem is with Music Rights that need to be cleared which has held up a DVD and Blu release. Personal question, why are you always negative about a title that has not had either a DVD or Blu release? Your just as negative about RAINTREE COUNTY.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
cinerama10 said:
SPARTACUS has been released on bluray for many years.
You call that screwed up abortion a blu-ray? So, the fact that there's already an excellent BD of ERASERHEAD should put it out of the running, too.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
TravisR said:
Great choices. I wish they had done an early John Waters Eclipse set before that line went under.
I have the VHS releases of "Mondo Trasho" and "Multiple Maniacs", and given that in the past John Waters was even down on those Criterion might have had trouble talking him into it. Despite that, the new (this week) DVD of "I Am Divine" (which I really enjoyed) has clips that I had never seen from earlier films, and in pretty decent transfers. Perhaps Mr. Waters has been doing some archival work, without calling attention to it. I hope so.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
davidmatychuk said:
Keeping strictly to titles in my collection that Criterion issued on Laserdisc that no one has issued on Blu-Ray:

Shampoo
Tootsie (the commentary by Sydney Pollack isn't on the DVD's Columbia put out)
Polyester
Pink Flamingos
Three By Scorsese
Television Toys
I tried to edit this, but couldn't, in order to add the following:

Television Toys (I know it's Voyager)

Adding titles in my collection that Criterion issued on Laserdisc that some other company has issued on Blu-Ray:

Sid & Nancy (many extras and commentary)
This Is Spinal Tap (some extras and commentary)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (CAV) (the Keanu & Winona "Edit your own scene" feature alone is priceless)
Trainspotting (if only for the "glossary of terms" insert, because if ever a film required one, this is it)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
cinerama10 said:
WATERLOO (in 70mm) was a massive flop and a very tedious film that should never have been made.One of the very worst films shown in 70mm
Did you actually see Waterloo in 70mm?
Also, the Universal SPARTACUS is not up to par and that's why you will see fans of this epic film requesting a new Criterion Collection version.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
I have the VHS releases of "Mondo Trasho" and "Multiple Maniacs", and given that in the past John Waters was even down on those Criterion might have had trouble talking him into it. Despite that, the new (this week) DVD of "I Am Divine" (which I really enjoyed) has clips that I had never seen from earlier films, and in pretty decent transfers. Perhaps Mr. Waters has been doing some archival work, without calling attention to it. I hope so.
Yeah, I know Waters feels his early stuff is a little rough around the edges but he let (I think) Hag In A Black Leather Jacket play at a museum a few years ago so my hope is that he's changed his mind enough about the availability of his early movies that he'd release them.

Thanks for the heads up on the Divine doc. I saw it last summer and didn't realize it was coming out on DVD.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
At a Q and A for the Egyptian Theater screening of a restored FEMALE TROUBLES, John Waters stated that music rights were the problem with any official re-release of MONDO TRASHO and MULTIPLE MANIACS. This was a few years back, so something might have changed. They are two wild and crazy movies and that's putting it mildly.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Paul Rossen said:
Did you actually see Waterloo in 70mm?
Also, the Universal SPARTACUS is not up to par and that's why you will see fans of this epic film requesting a new Criterion Collection version.
Yes I did see WATERLOO in 70mm . (along with 179 other feature films released in 70mm ) It was panned by the critics at the time and was indeed a massive flop and it was a very very tedious film. Truly one of the very worst films released in 70mm. It was even worse than SOLOMON AND SHEBA and that was bad enough to have to sit through.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
ahollis said:
As wonderful as those titles are none of them would be released by Criterion, which is what this thread is about. THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN should see light of day from Fox or Twilight. Warner's would never let go of MOLLY BROWN or SEVEN BRIDES. Universal would also hang on to MODERN MILLIE.LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR is not a crappy film and is a title that would be right up Criterion's alley. The problem is with Music Rights that need to be cleared which has held up a DVD and Blu release. Personal question, why are you always negative about a title that has not had either a DVD or Blu release? Your just as negative about RAINTREE COUNTY.
LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR was released on dvd many many years ago - maybe not in your country.If I dislike a film then there would be no reason for me to buy it on dvd or bluray, no matter how good the quality would be. A bad film is a bad film and putting it out on disc would not change the quality ..Did you ever sit in a cinema and see RAINTREE COUNTY during its original release? I did and even worked in the cinema showing it. Luckily I never had to endure it for very long.First and foremost a film needs to have a good director and a good scriptwriter ( something mostly lacking in today's American films.) There is a whole world of cinema out there.Some of the best films emanate from South Korea today. but I doubt if many Americans have ever seen one. Personally I prefer European and Asian films to that which are made in the U.S.A. America have seemed to have lost the plot when it comes to good storytelling. They used to have great writers in the old days but they have lost the art of how to write a good script.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
cinerama10 said:
LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR was released on dvd many many years ago - maybe not in your country.If I dislike a film then there would be no reason for me to buy it on dvd or bluray, no matter how good the quality would be. A bad film is a bad film and putting it out on disc would not change the quality ..Did you ever sit in a cinema and see RAINTREE COUNTY during its original release? I did and even worked in the cinema showing it. Luckily I never had to endure it for very long.First and foremost a film needs to have a good director and a good scriptwriter ( something mostly lacking in today's American films.) There is a whole world of cinema out there.Some of the best films emanate from South Korea today. but I doubt if many Americans have ever seen one. Personally I prefer European and Asian films to that which are made in the U.S.A. America have seemed to have lost the plot when it comes to good storytelling. They used to have great writers in the old days but they have lost the art of how to write a good script.
Also I NEVER said that LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR was a crappy film.Re read my original message. The film had good reviews and was very successful on its original release.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The Alamo (1960) road show release, a Karel Zeman box set , Love With The Proper Stranger.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
A good cult title for Criterion would be the 1977 movie 'Lolita' from Adrian Lyne -- a very interesting alternative to the Kubrick movie, truer to the novel and with a knock-out performance from Jeremy Irons. And Melanie Griffith holds her own very capably against the brilliance of Shelley Winters in the earlier version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks