What's new

UHD What titles would you purchase on UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Paul Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
As a life long movie buff, from Super 8 in the '70's to Bd and a digital PJ today, There is enormous allure in knowing I have the finest available source for a favorite film to screen at home. I could also easily list at least 100 titles as "favorites".

Alien

Superman The Movie

Jaws

The original Versions of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Walkabout

Days Of Heaven

Black Narcissus

Jean de Florette/Manon Of The Spring

would all be at the top of the list for me.

UHD enthusiasts can now ignore the rest of this post as here is where I qualify any enthusiasm I might have for the upcoming format.

Having listed those titles, I can also safely safe that expanded color gamuts, higher res, greater dynamic range, yadda yadda yadd, don't mean squat when all I get is a newly visually revised version of a movie I love. If Alien only came with Scotts 2010 color grading, Fox can keep it.

And the farther we go up the ladder, the less I'm going to tolerate some of the BS that still goes on with Bd (dusting off older, outdated masters optimized for an earlier generation of displays).

Of course, I honestly don't think we will have to worrty too much about that because UHD Bd is going to be mostly a repository for current films- you know, the ones that are digitally processed to look all contrast jacked, and desaturated, and then color graded up the wazoo to emphasize what is basically a bi-chromatic palate. Whoo Hoo! Can't wait to see films like Man Of Steel with that expanded color gamut and greater dynamic range :laugh:

As someone who couldn't wait to buy an HD device- and who did buy an HD DVD player a month after the rollout while I still only had a XGA projector (not even a 720p!), I'm am extremely apathetic about this upcoming format- primarily because Bd has been so frustrating overall.

Frustrating at the slow pace of titles to get remastered and squeezed out; titles getting a needed remaster at all before getting released; and then getting released only with new revisions (still can't own a HD copy of the superior theatrical version of The Warriors)...all this has wised me up.

The specs alone don't send a tingle up my leg- and if it ever comes down to it, I will pay a premium to replace my region modded Oppo any day before I put those same extra funds on a UHD player.

Fortunately I upgraded my PJ last year so the compatability with the upcoming UHD devices would require jumping through hoops to merely down rez the content. I hope the enthusiasts like Dave get what they want out of the format in a timely fashion. But for the next probably six years at least, I'll be a bystander. By that time, they actually might have a few decent catalog titles out- though it's a crap shoot if there will still be great, affordable digtial projectors being produced by then- that industry is losing players every year :( .

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well it is now August and aprox 4 months till UHD is supposed to be unleashed on the market yet no information on what brands will be releasing players in December. No studios are coming out and releasing any kind of release list of movies to expect. Even the blu-ray association is saying a whole lot of nothing building up to the introduction of UHD Blu-ray. It would not take much to start putting UHD commercials on 1080p blu-ray discs coming out between now and Christmas.

These are some of the movies I would purchase on UHD:

Star Wars IV: A New Hope (1977) Original Theatrical Release

Star Wars V:Empire Strikes Back (1980) Original Theatrical Release

Star Wars VI: Return Of The Jedi (1983) Original Theatrical Release

My Fair Lady (1964)

The Seven Year Itch (1955)

The King And I (1956)

The Innocents (1961)

Oklahoma (1955)

Don't Bother To Knock (1952)

Singin In The Rain (1952)

Gone With The Wind (1939)
Lawrence Of Arabia (1962)
South Pacific (1958)
Marry Poppins (1964)
Sound Of Music (1965)
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn (1945)
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966)
High Noon (1952)
Pale Rider (1985)
A Fistfull Of Dollars (1964)
Unforgiven (1992)
Gran Torino (2008)
Silence Of The Lambs (1991)
Mrs Doubtfire (1993)
Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
Open Range (2003)
Children Of Men (2006)
American Graffitt (1973)

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Avengers Age Of Ultron

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Fury

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Iron Man (2008)

Star Trek (2009)

Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)

Gladiator (2000)

The Bourne Identity (2002)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Dave Moritz said:
Well it is now August and aprox 4 months till UHD is supposed to be unleashed on the market yet no information on what brands will be releasing players in December. No studios are coming out and releasing any kind of release list of movies to expect. Even the blu-ray association is saying a whole lot of nothing building up to the introduction of UHD Blu-ray. It would not take much to start putting UHD commercials on 1080p blu-ray discs coming out between now and Christmas.

Well, don't expect much hoopla and bells and whistles accompanying the announcements. I suspect it will be pretty low profile. With standard DVD still very much alive and blu ray seemingly at a stand still growth wise and downloading and streaming on the increase, they're smart enough to know UHD isn't exactly going to set the home video market (what's left of it) on fire.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I have yet to buy these on Blu-ray, and thus would wait for UHD.
  • Hobbit (Extended HFR)
  • Star Wars (Unaltered Original Trilogy)
  • LOTR (Extended)
  • Matrix Trilogy

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not set-up for it, or too bothered right now, but it would be big movies with great photography that have been transferred to the highest spec (lots of K's!). I'm not sure you'd see that much difference with 30's & 40's b/w movies.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Although, I think it would be some time - years, perhaps - before I get into UHD, I'd love to see how these two look:

The Searchers

North By Northwest

Maybe even Star Trek The Motion Picture (the theatrical cut at least) since there were some 65mm filmed elements that weren't limited to only the sfx stuff.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I think in general I'm with most people here - only 70mm/IMAX.

But there's just one more area I might buy.

Going back to Blu-ray, if there's a film I really like, with a modest Blu-ray transfer, let's say The Innocents, then I got the original BFI release, and then double-dipped when it got new 4K version from Criterion.

Now, let's say Criterion hadn't done this yet. Let's say the only Blu-rat we hadwas the BFI version, then in 5 years The Innocents got its second release, from a new 4K scan, only this time simultaneous on Blu-ray/UHD. If I had a UHD player, I'd probably get the UHD version, as long as it didn't cost too much more.

But we do have The Innocents from Criterion. And if they release a UHD version in 5 years, I'm not sure I'll buy that, as I suspect the step up over the 4K-sourced Blu-ray release I already have will be minimal.

Steve W

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Was lucky enough to see a 4K DCP screening of The Innocents and it looked great, this movie is defently on my purchase list if it is released on UHD Blu-ray! I wouldn't mind owning that title on 1080p blu-ray but I am already moving towards a goal of purchasing as many 4K UHD titles as I can get as soon as they become available. The end goal is to have 4K UHD movies and a 4K UHD projector with a minimum of 120" screen!

View attachment 22045

View attachment 22118

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The James Bond films. From there I'm not sure. I've upgraded to DVD and blu Ray because of bond.
I'm curious if the early trek films are given new prints.
I think aside from those I would the. Pick up new titles on the format and older films that I've missed on blu Ray.
I'm reaching a point where I buy much less than I used to.

But bond would have me figuring out how to upgrade. 2018 is my guess when that may happen. Bond 25 and bond on uhd blu Ray.

I'm curious if Star Wars episode 7 will be on the format next year. I'm also curious to see a list of uhd titles coming this year. But like I said I'll wait until the James Bond films reach the format.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Spartacus

Patton

The Sound of Music

The Sand Pebbles

Oklahoma

The Wizard of Oz

The Longest Day

Saving Private Ryan

55 Days at Peking

Star Wars

Aliens

The Avengers

Lawrence of Arabia

Dr. Zhivago

Ben Hur

The Searchers

The Alamo (yeah right)

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Ryan's Daughter

A Man for All Seasons

Gone With the Wind

How the West Was Won

To start......

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Probably "none" as I'm making BD my last stand in terms of collecting. I've collected almost 600 BD's of titles that, of all my family, only I really care about. So, when I kick the bucket I figure my collection will end up at Goodwill or the dump because none of my kids will want them (no Marvel titles in my collection:) ).

Really, I might consider UHD upgrades for the Bond titles but if they are ever remastered on BD I'd settle for that.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If and when, large format titles only (65/70mm, Technirama, VVLA, Cinerama, etc). From all reports, a well done HD title looks stunning when uprezzed to 4K.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17520

Fox Reveals First 4K Blu-ray Titles, Samsung Announces First 4K Blu-ray Player

View attachment 22271

View attachment 22272

View attachment 22273

Twentieth Century Fox has revealed the first batch of titles that will be released on 4K Blu-ray. They are Exodus: Gods and Kings, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Fantastic Four, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Life of Pi, The Maze Runner and Wild.

Sounds like I will be putting the following on my purchase list. One of my fist 4K UHD purchases may just be Life Of Pi and The Maze Runner.

Exodus: Gods And Kings

Fantastic Four *

X Men: Days Of Future Past (This title will be later on because it would be added to go along with my 1080p 3D bluray.)

Life Of Pi *

The Maze Runner *

Now lets see what Universal, Disney, WB and others release before Christmas!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I could see myself purchasing Skyfall on 4K UHD if and when it becomes available!

Not a currently planned release!

6510_4K.jpg

The-Terminator-4KUHD.jpg

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The best launch for the format would be for the original Star Wars trilogy to be only available on UHD (no blu-ray or DVD).

I cannot understand why posters on HTF keep referring to the original film as Star Wars: A New Hope or IV etc. For those of us who saw them theatrically, the titles were, are, and will always be:

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks