What's new

What are the best component cables? (1 Viewer)

Greg Abbott

Auditioning
Doing a search should yield alot of information.

I like www.bluejeanscable.com because they seem to offer high quality component cables for a reasonable price.

BTW, this will probably get moved to the Tweaking, Connections and Accessories forum as it is much more appropriate a place to find such info.

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
i myself like straight wire . just remember you can by great equipment but its the cable that carries the signal
frank

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
What's your budget? what signal type are you needing to pass? If its just progressive then most well made cables will have no problems with it while HD on the other hand requires a much higher bandwidth capable cable. There's a lot of online companies that sell well made cables that will easily surpass brandname cables. Try some of these companies that all make well respected cables.

www.bluejeanscable.com
www.catcables.com
www.quantumcables.com
www.rhinocables.com - hmm this doesn't seem to work but I'm sure its the right URL

Personally I've used rhino and catcables and both are very nice. The catcables would be my first choice if budget allows for it though as they're a step up from rhino's IMO.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
For nominal lengths, a few meters, there are no compelling performance issues that would suggest that virtually any 75 ohm coax with copper center conductors should perform any differently from another. Consider the following link for a view on this matter. You can spend quite inexpensively for component video cables or you can spend quite liberally. Personally, I'm at a loss to explain why people have stated enormous improvements when going to higher priced wires assuming that their orignal ones were not in some way defective. I'm at a similar loss to explain the lack of before and after images of equipment utilizing something like RS component wires vs take your pick to objectively justify performance, cost, image quality, etc.

When it comes to cables it is like the old hot rod addage
"Speed cost money- How fast you wanna go?" You could spend thousands of dollars on Virgin Silver hollow wound oxygen free super duper cable, or you could spend pennies. I think it all depends on your budget and how anal you are about sound. I mean for me anyway I use monster mainly because it is readily available. It isnt too pricey and for my 35 year old ears it sounds good to me. Hearing is highly subjective, what sounds good to me will sound like chit to someone else. Read some reviews and get what you can within your budget.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Too bad no organization that has enough money to independently go out and buy several sets of high quality cables would have any vested interest in scientifically proving that they may not be as amazing as they are advertised to be. Magazines don't want to annoy their advertisers, and the cable companies themselves obviously have nothing to gain.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Too bad no organization that has enough money to independently go out and buy several sets of high quality cables would have any vested interest in scientifically proving that they may not be as amazing as they are advertised to be.
This has been done repeatedly. I can't post a link, but any thread on the subject that goes on long enough will have links to various articles that report test results.

Those that say they can hear a difference dismiss the tests that prove otherwise, and those that say you can not hear a difference dismiss the tests that say that there is.

This one ain't ever gonna be decided one way or another. If you hear a difference, then there is a difference, and if you don't then there isn't one.

BGL

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Flawed tests no matter the results are flawed. The thing is with listening tests, when a reasonable effort's been made to match the level of sound and the identity of the cable's been unknown, not a single solitary person on the face of the earth has ever been able to discern the difference.

And i'd be happy to look at comparable studies with video cables. If you've got a link, post it.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Andrew,
Rhino changed to RhinoCables.net

The broadcast cables offer great performance, possibly more than most will ever need for a fair price.

RhinoCables.net (Belden)
Bluejeanscable.com (Belden/Canare)
Heartlandcables.com (Canare)
Avcables.com (Gepco)

If you want something that may offer that last 2%, have worthy components and dont mind paying a premium for it then try:

RhinoCables.net (Premium series)
Catcables.com
Zucable.com
Wireworldaudio.com
Bettercables.com

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Not to start a pissing match Mark but what aspects of CatCables, ZuCable, Wireworld, BetterCables, lead you to say they'd offer theoretically better performance that exceeds say one of the traditionally recommended Beldens for example? While I haven't looked at these sites recently, I don't recall much of any information.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
The "best" cables are the ones that don't kill your wallet and meet your needs. If you are the average Joe blue-collar worker then bluejeanscables.com is your answer. I placed an order with Kurt @ BJC Friday night @ 11PM and he shipped it the next day. Amazing service!

* Several of the DIY cable vendors use the same tooling and cabling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks