What's new

DVR for vacation rental with cable (1 Viewer)

Gschimma

Grip
Real Name
Greg
perhaps not the best forum to post this question but moving into a winter rental condo with cable TV. I’m assuming all of the condos are on some sort of corporate cable plan. the individual condo does not have DVR capability. best way to do that? I see that there are over the air dvrs but that doesn’t seem right. is this what tivo, etc, are used for? (feel like an old man trying to understand modern technology)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does the condo have wi-fi Internet available? If so, another route would be to use a live TV streaming service, such as YouTube TV or Hulu Live. If you pay for cable TV at home, it could also replace that -- probably for less money than you are paying now. The live TV streaming services have DVR functionality. We have YouTube TV, and it's DVR allows for unlimited recording. It keeps the recordings for several months (not sure how many, since we rarely use that function). We use the single subscription at our two homes -- in Michigan and South Carolina.

Another thought: some condo associations have cable systems that do not require any type of cable box or card - - you can plug the coaxial cable directly into any older TV that has a "cable ready" analog tuner. Our condo complex in SC has such a system. If you currently own an OTA DVR, it may work there.

Last edited:

Gschimma

Grip
Real Name
Greg
yes, the condo does have wifi as well. bith cable and wifi are under a single corporate plan for the entire complex. how do i set up hulu plus or youtube TV? simply on my personal computer? or do i need some external device like a firestick?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks