What's new

Directors We're With the Band: a Draft (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
john starts the last round with 2 picks

well, it may be the last

i'd say we should stop at 6 band members (including a songwriter, which I think we all have), one producer, one album cover artist, one video director and one writer/interviewer per player

other ideas welcome

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I PM'd you with my two picks, but here they are again anyway:

Stanley Donen-Video Director
Alberto Vargas-Album Cover Artist

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

So, there are my next two picks. Hope you like them...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Here's where we find ourselves...

Vickie is up. She needs an album-cover artist.

George follows, also needing an artist.

Cary follows, needing a producer.

I follow, needing an artist.

At that point, we could be done. Everyone would have all band personnel, at least one designated songwriter, a producer, a video director, an interviewer/writer and an album-cover artist, except for John, who hasn't picked an interviewer/writer. I'm content to move through the current batting-order, then let John pick his writer, and then move on to band names, album titles and track listings. If everyone is cool w/ John having one more person in his stable, then that's the plan.

All suggestions welcome. You folks in NYC, go see my brother's new film...

Cary T

Screenwriter
Guess I can pick my producer now, Brian Warner

My band's name is: Dying Breed
Album title is: Drown by Sorrow
Genre: hard rock/goth rock

I'm fine with John's extra member.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
cary picked out-of-turn; no problem for me

vickie is up, needing an artist

then george, also needing an artist

then me, needing an artist

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
My artist will be Julie Taymor.

Group name: Wistra

Album title: Why Not Surus

Genre: Ecto (take my word for it)

I can't do song titles. Every time I try I lock up. Is it mandatory?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Blue Note records is proud to announce the debut album from The Lusitropics, featuring Billie Holiday, "systole/diastole." The release is a 2-album collection, available on Redbook CD, DVD-Audio and 180-gram vinyl.

The first two sides, "systole," contain original compositions while the third and fourth sides, "diastole," contain reinterpretations.

Featuring Billie Holiday on lead vocals, Norah Jones on vocals, Fender Rhodes piano and Hammond B-3 organ, Robbie Robertson on lead guitar, Herbie Hancock on piano, and the rhythm section of Charles Mingus on bass and Max Roach on drums. The album is produced by Daniel Lanois--who has worked with Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, U2, Robbie Robertson, Emmylou Harris, the Neville Brothers and others--who also contributes rhythm guitar. Original songs by Robertson and Lanois.

The band's sound is best described as a fusion of blues, jazz, roots music and folk.

Track listings to be announced...

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member

I hadn't heard the term before, but I looked it up. It seems to refer in general to quirky, somewhat uncategorizable, female singer-songwriter types. Kate Bush, Happy Rhodes, Tori Amos, Loreena McKennitt, and so forth.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Alright,

my artist will be Picasso

The band is called Paddy & the Wackers

I'll be providing liner notes to the 25th anniversary re-release of their debut album, written by Dave Marsh as soon as I can get around to it.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Chuck got it (how did you look it up? What did you use? What came up?)

It's very eye-rollingly insular, but we've been using the genre "Ecto" (or ectophilic, or ectopian) on the Internet since 1991, and it's the only way I know how to describe the music I like.

From the Ecto Home Page:

What's an Ectophile? The short answer is that "Ecto" is the name of an album by the American singer/songwriter Happy Rhodes. In 1991 a mailing list was formed to discuss her music, and adopted the name "Ecto". However it soon became clear that many folks on the list wanted to discuss all kinds of music that appealed to them, and hence the concept of an "ectophile" (a person who loves ectophilic music - a bit circular, isn't it?) was born.

Some names that appear when ectophilic music is mentioned include Sarah McLachlan, Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Jane Siberry, Veda Hille, Loreena McKennitt, Sheila Chandra, Jewel, Dead Can Dance, Bel Canto, Iris DeMent, Victoria Williams, Mae Moore, October Project, Heidi Berry and many, many others. As a general rule ectophilic music has female vocals, but there are some exceptions to this (Peter Gabriel and Richard Shindell, to name two). For a more comprehensive overview be sure to check out the list of Ectophilic home pages, and of course The Ectophiles Guide To Good Music.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Photographer Phil Joanou will do my album cover.

John picks a writer, and we're done.

Need band names, album names, song titles, liner notes... Whatever you guys want.

Poll: vote or no vote?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I choose Bret Easton Ellis as my writer.

The announcement:

OPC Records presents the Out-Of-Turns' first album "I Made A Mistake...Get Off My Case".

Track listings are too numerous (due to the interfering of the label's co-owner they can't all be listed), so the 3-album dance-rock opera will be simply dubbed as such...

The line-up reads as follows for the album:

Mick Jagger (Lead Vocals-Male)
Grace Jones (Lead Vocals-Female)
Sheila E. (Drums and Vocals)
Maceo Parker (Saxophone)
Jesse Johnson (Bass and vocals)
Stevie Wonder (Multi-instrumentallist and vocals)

Stanley Donen will direct the epic music video, which will be more like a full-scale dance-rock opera, filmed in 2:35:1 anamorphic widescreen.

Alberto Vargas is the cover art designer...An example of the kind of work he does is this:

Alberto Vargas picture

The album cover is a modified version of that photo, with the woman holding a gun.

The liner notes, while providing an entire book and lyrics, also include the following statements:

"This album is not for people under the age of 18"

"The Out-Of-Turns dedicate this album to the screw-ups, failures, rejects, losers, fuck-ups and morons of the world...In short, everyone who's breathing right now".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Had a better statement in mind, but I was pressured into this short version by my brother.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Liner Notes from the 35th anniversary release of Paddy & the Wacker’s debut album by Dave Marsh, October 9, 2005.

When I wrote the original liner notes to Paddy & the Wacker’s debut album, I left out a lot of information about that album that I’d like to clear up here, 35 years later. So let’s turn back the clock to 1970. A year that saw the biggest tragedy in musical history averted by the biggest miracle. The first part of 1970 saw the break-up of the Beatles, and if Paddy & the Wackers hadn’t shown up in late 1970, there’s no telling what would have happened to music. Of course, I don’t think it would have been as bad as some others do, but many have predicted that by the 1990s and 2000s that music would have been dominated by rap, boy bands, teenage female divas, and the like, which all have had painful, but thankfully short appearances on the music scene. But through it all rock has flourished and continued to move forward artistically and dominate the music scene as never before. Today rock music is as vital and exciting as ever before, and without Paddy & the Wackers, it’s likely that the current music scene would be much worse, although there’s no way it could be as bad as some have speculated. Can you actually imagine Madonna as anything more than a one-hit wonder?

In any case, we’re fortunate not to have to worry about that thanks to Paddy & the Wackers. But how did that come about? Well, after the breakup of the Beatles, they all went their separate ways, while their lawyers continued fighting about legal issues. George, however, went to India and formed the world’s biggest spiritual event in history. Together, he and others spent days sending forth positive karma towards the other 3 Beatles. And thankfully, it worked. At a meeting on September 10, 1970, in their lawyer’s office, John, Paul and Ringo sat down with their lawyers, with George on the phone and resolved all of their differences. Neil Aspinall had power of attorney for George, and by the end of that meeting all was well again with the four Beatles.

They decided to reform, but not as the Beatles. But it was agreed that they’d all get back together and form a new band, perhaps with a new member or two. Paul, John and Ringo all went out to celebrate at a club called the UFO, while George went back to the positive karma session. Now as luck would have it, George’s karma session, while focused on his three fellow Beatles, influenced a great deal of Southern England. It is a matter of record that there was not a single reported crime in London for 3 days starting on September 10, 1970. Everyone in London was affected, though no one knew it at the time.

I happened to be at the UFO club that night, as was Jimi Hendrix, who was resting up from playing at the Isle of Wight. Somehow I ended up at a table with Jimi, John, Paul, Ringo as well as Al Green and Jerry Lee Lewis. Also at the table was George Martin, Dick Lester and Pablo Picasso. Don’t ask me for details on how it happened, but right there, that night, they decided to form a new band (I was invited to be their publicist). I believe it was Picasso who came up with the name Paddy & the Wackers. We all decided to go back to Ringo’s flat and call George, who was delighted by the outcome. He urged them to go into the studio the next day and start recording, and assured us he’d be there as soon as possible.

Unforunately, George’s positive karma (which John would later christen Instant Karma in one of the band’s later hits which features many people’s favorite Hendrix solo), did not extend to the aircraft in India at the time, and various mechanical difficulties delayed his return to London. By the time he got back, all of the songs on this album had been recorded. Everyone in the band wanted to record some with George and mix them in, but once George heard the album, and how perfectly the songs all fit together, he insisted that it be released as is. Picasso painted the front cover, and I was responsible for the liner notes on the back. I decided to simply list the members of the band, and christen each with a nickname. The back cover looked like this:

Lead Wacker – Jimi Hendrix
Rhythm Wacker – John Lennon
Bass Wacker – Paul McCartney
Drum Wacker – Ringo Starr
Piano Wacker – Jerry Lee Lewis
Voice Wacker – Al Green
Spiritual Wacker – George Harrison

Of course, my including George in the credits caused many people to conclude that he was on the recordings, and I can now state for the record, that he does not appear on any of the recordings (although of course he was on every other album they put out). However, given that he is the primary reason that the band even formed, I think he clearly deserves the credit he was given. Without him, there would have been no Paddy & the Wackers. And George also deserves credit for the name of the debut album, “The Best of Paddy & the Wackers, Vol. 2”, which we all thought was very funny for a debut album, although the record company complained about it.

It is impossible to overestimate the importance of Paddy & the Wackers. They have released about 2 albums every year for the past 35 years, and each one has been an amazing step forward musically. Jimi once told me that he thought Paddy & the Wackers had saved his life, and without it, he’d probably have OD’d one day. Thinking of what a disaster 1970 could have been musically, let us be truly thankful for how miraculously it all turned out. There’s no reason to go into detail about the music, since volumes have been written about that, and you’ll soon be listening to it for yourself anyway, which is much better than reading about it.

By the way, this HD-DVD includes not only the original album, but all of the music videos that Richard Lester directed for it, all in high definition, uncut and in their original aspect ratios. So stop reading this, and go enjoy the best music ever made!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks