What's new

Top 10 discs to complete our collections (2 Viewers)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
10 discs to complete my collection? I don't think any number of discs will ever complete my collection. Just when I think I've obtained the last missing piece, something else gets announced that I just have to have!

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
10 discs to complete my collection? I don't think any number of discs will ever complete my collection. Just when I think I've obtained the last missing piece, something else gets announced that I just have to have!

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Think of it more like "If you were offered just 10 more titles for release before physical media stopped permanently" kind of scenario. Needless to say, our collections can never truly be complete. There are literally thousands of films out there worldwide, many of which have never seen the light of day.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
These are my most wanted titles on Blu-ray. Some have been on DVD, some never on any format

The Little Foxes
Dead End
The Bishops Wife
Hud
Catch 22
Carnal Knowledge
Paper Moon
Splendor in the Grass
America America
A Hatful of Rain
Advise and Consent
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
The Great Man (Jose Ferrer stars and directs- never on any home video format to the best of my knowledge)
Ryan's Daughter

And some that need to be upgraded to 4k-

West Side Story (1961)
Doctor Zhivago
Eyes Wide Shut
Barry Lyndon

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Most are HD upgrades:
Greed
(extended TCM version)
Raintree County
Scaramouche
The Story of Ruth
The Silver Chalice
The Prodigal
Esther and the King
(Raoul Walsh version)
The Big Fisherman
Julius Caesar
('53)
Hercules (Steve Reeves-and Unchained as well)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Most are HD upgrades:
Greed
(extended TCM version)
Raintree County
Scaramouche
The Story of Ruth
The Silver Chalice
The Prodigal
Esther and the King
(Raoul Walsh version)
The Big Fisherman
Julius Caesar
('53)
Hercules (Steve Reeves-and Unchained as well)
I don't know Greed, but I'm mostly interested in all those others too!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I don't know Greed, but I'm mostly interested in all those others too!
Thank you, Konstantinos, most of your list ended up on mine. The "restored" Greed, sometimes seen on TCM, is a silent classic improved by the added stills which flesh out the fascinating story nicely.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I forgot to add two extra titles that I am shocked that Warner Archives have not released on Blu-ray (considering that both were nominated for numerous Academy Awards in back to back years- and both directed by a cinema master Fred Zinnemann )- The Nun's Story and The Sundowners

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
And one more- a no brainer that I'm shocked hasn't been released on Blu-ray in America (considering that almost every other film by this director has come out on Blu)- and that's The Defiant Ones

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
I forgot to add STAR! on my list. Way overdue for a bluray
I agree on:

Raintree County -- one old release has hilarious mistranslations of the dialog. It would be nice to have a version that does Camera 65 "Window to the World" justice. They need to use some Windex.

Porgy and Bess -- Great music and sound. Dandridge, Peters excel. "Todd-AO in Catfish Row" seems too confined, but a 65mm OCN would help a Blu-ray (or higher) look very good.

Around the World in 80 Days -- One of the most visually involving Todd-AO films, with one of the best and most dynamic 6 channel soundtracks, and a 114 piece orchestra.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I had a nagging feeling I'd forgotten someone when I did my list, & then it came to me...Ken Russell.

The Music Lovers (1971) - UA now MGM, I don't know what the hold-up is.

The Devils (1971) - I do have an idea what the hold-up on this one is, but if Criterion gets it, god knows when it would be released.

Savage Messiah (1972) - Warner Archive, so a release could happen at any time (they did a lovely job on The Boy Friend).

Mahler (1974) - I'm not sure who owns this.

Lisztomania (1975) - ditto.

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'll name things that need cleaning up and released on Blu and stuff never before released on disc. Things that probably no one else here cares about, but I'm keen to see.

Abbott & Costello WB ('In Hollywood' to start)
Here Come the Nelsons
Blondie (any in the series)
Henry Aldrich (any in the series)
Dorothy Lamour Sarong Films ('Beyond the Blue Horizon' would be my first choice)
Rocky Mountain
Charlie Chan Films (Warner Oland in particular)
Saddle Tramp
Gloria Jean/Donald O'Connor films ('Get Hep to Love' for starters)
Roy Rogers ('Trail of Robin Hood' should have been released this past Christmas season, imho)

Gary "didn't list the Weissmuller Tarzan films since we just got started with them" O.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
These are my most wanted titles on Blu-ray. Some have been on DVD, some never on any format

The Little Foxes
Dead End
The Bishops Wife
Hud
Catch 22
Carnal Knowledge
Paper Moon
Splendor in the Grass
America America
A Hatful of Rain
Advise and Consent
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
The Great Man (Jose Ferrer stars and directs- never on any home video format to the best of my knowledge)
Ryan's Daughter

And some that need to be upgraded to 4k-

West Side Story (1961)
Doctor Zhivago
Eyes Wide Shut
Barry Lyndon
The Little Foxes is available to stream on Prime, it's a nice transfer but there's a video glitch about 15 minutes in & I suspect that's the reason why it's not on Blu-ray. Great movie by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks