What's new

Top 10 discs to complete our collections (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Walter brought up Panic Room- I know myself and others have discussed this title in other threads, but it is baffling that this hasn’t gotten a BluRay release. I’d pick it up in a heartbeat.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Walter brought up Panic Room- I know myself and others have discussed this title in other threads, but it is baffling that this hasn’t gotten a BluRay release. I’d pick it up in a heartbeat.
I had no idea. I can't believe there are any Fincher films that aren't on BR.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
10 theatrical features unreleased on licensed domestic DVD or Blu-ray:

Terror Aboard (1933)
Zoo in Budapest (1933)
Canon City (1948)
The Scarf (1951)
Alakazam the Great (1960, both the dubbed AIP and subbed Toei versions)
Danger Route (1967)
Mission Stardust (1967)
Darker Than Amber (1970)
Fool's Parade (1971)
American Hot Wax (1978)

10 restorations/upgrades of DVD titles to Blu-ray:

On Borrowed Time (1939)
The More the Merrier (1943)
Three Strangers (1946)
Deep Valley (1947)
Champagne for Caesar (1950)
D.O.A. (1950)
Slightly Scarlet (1956)
Kronos (1957)
Tarzan the Magnificent (1960)
The Outfit (1973)

10 unreleased made-for-TV movies:

Sole Survivor (1970)
Something Evil (1972)
A Cold Night's Death (1973)
Birds of Prey (1973)
Live Again, Die Again (1974)
Where Have All the People Gone? (1974)
The Deadly Bees (1976)
Spectre (1977)
Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure of All (1978/1982)
Vampire (1979)

10 unreleased TV series:

T.H.E. Cat (1966-67)
Way Out (1961)
Great Ghost Tales (1961)
Panic! (1957-58)
Suspicion (1957-58)
12 O'Clock High (1964-67)
Bus Stop (1961-62)
Wichita Town (1959-60)
The Man Who Never Was (1966-67)
77 Sunset Strip (1958-64)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: Peter's "Unreleased made-for-TV movies"

One of my favorite programs in the '70s was the ABC Movie of the Week. I noticed a few of the titles that Peter listed were from that production. Some of the titles produced during that time (not the ones listed by Peter, BTW) have received individual releases, and I would love to see more of them finally make it to optical media.

Anything from that series, would be a bonus disc to accompany what I have listed. :)

- Walter.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if Kino Lorber did more tv movies. Some of those productions are really good.
==jthree

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I seem to remember Panic Room DVDs were in the Walmart cutout bins forever! How is the HD streaming version?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I haven't thought a lot about it, and a lot of these selections are in other folk's lists, but here are ten titles that I would like to add to the library:

The Keep - Saw this theatrically and even though I think it is a flawed films, there were enough elements to make it entertaining; and I wouldn't mind seeing a good presentation of this again if just for the sake of nostalgia.

Strange Days - Really enjoyed the performances in this feature, and the energy that Bigelow brought to the film. Terrific cast with Fiennes, Sizemore, Lewis, and Bassett.

Panic Room - Finally this year, maybe? Terrific thriller from David Fincher.

Sahara (1943) - Superior WWII film with some strong survival elements and an interesting multi-national cast. Watched this film originally due to a description by Robert Crawford and enjoyed it tremendously.

Carnal Knowledge - My first viewing was via a VHS tape when that format was initially introduced. Terrific performances, direction, and dialog.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar - Only viewing was on cable back in the early 1980s while traveling. It always stuck with me, mostly due to Keaton's performance.

At Play In The Fields of the Lord - Seriously neglected, and underrated film by Hector Babenco. Haven't seen it in ages, and would like to remedy that.

Blood and Wine (1996) - Terrific work by Nicholson and Caine in this feature. One of my favorite crime films.

The Fugitive (1947) - The only home video release that I am aware of is the Laserdisc released by Image Entertainment. It features some outstanding cinematography by Gabriel Figuera that I would love to see on BD. (The usual disclaimers regarding sources for a transfer apply.)

House of Flying Daggers - The BD of the initial release is very, very soft and does not reflect what I saw theatrically. I haven't kept track of this title to determine if there is a better version available. Something I would really like to re-experience in a superior presentation.

- Walter.

I want Looking For Mr. Goodbar released if only to get people to stop talking about it on another forum. A lot of people seem to think Vinegar Syndrome will put this out but it's FAR from the type of film they usually release. 'Goodbar' is more Criterion territory.

I have a German BD of Strange Days which looks surprisingly good considering it's a grey market release. When I revisited the film last year I wasn't as much into it as I was initially. Still, a properly mastered 4K would be most welcome.

WWII and survival films are two of my favorite "classic" genres. Is "Sahara" not available on physical media at all?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have a German BD of Strange Days which looks surprisingly good considering it's a grey market release. When I revisited the film last year I wasn't as much into it as I was initially. Still, a properly mastered 4K would be most welcome.

That is often the case with me and revisits of films I haven't seen in a long, long time. Funny how our memories get filtered.

WWII and survival films are two of my favorite "classic" genres. Is "Sahara" not available on physical media at all?

I've owned Sahara on DVD for a long time. I should've been clearer in my posting that I would like a BD version.

- Walter.

Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
That is often the case with me and revisits of films I haven't seen in a long, long time. Funny how are memories get filtered.

I've owned Sahara on DVD for a long time. I should've been clearer in my posting that I would like a BD version.

- Walter.

I have a Brooke Shields film titled Sahara on DVD that I've never watched. I wonder if it's a remake lol.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter

Hud was released on region B Blu ray in Austrailia by Shock Entertainment last July.
Carnal Knowlege was released in Japan in 2017 (barcode 4988111151520). Both are decent transfers and not bootlegs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks