What's new

Warner to release Ben-Hur on Blu-ray in 2009 (?), or..... (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to bump this thread up to see if there were any developments? This is one of my all-time favorite films, and I'm very anxious for a Blu-ray Edition, though I don't mind waiting if there needs to be more work to make it breathtaking. All I was wondering is, has anyone heard anything new about it? And is it a pretty safe bet at this time that the release won't be ready by year's end to coincide with the film's 50th Anniversary?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I think GONE WITH THE WIND will be announced next (also 70th anniversary). I would be surprised it BEN-HUR gets out before 2010. More than likely an Easter 2010 release.

blimey

Grip
Real Name
Chaoran Li

The only released related up to now is a 50th Anniversary 2-Disc Special Edition DVD from UK for Aug 3rd. And it's from Warner.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hopefully this will not be packaged like Gone With The Wind, The Wizard of Oz and Casablanca. If it is, then expect the gift package to contain a lump of fake horse manure, a jar of leprosy cream and an oak leaf with a SRP of $90.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately at this point there's no reason not to expect the same Box-O-Junk exclusive treatment for all their tent-pole classics going forward.

The fact that a disc-only Casablanca still hasn't been released speaks volumes. Between this and their burn-on-demand DVDR program Warners strategy seems to be "Customer loyalty be damned, let's gouge these saps for all we can get."

I never thought I'd ever be made disinterested in the prospect of high def versions of Kong, Ben-Hur, Casablanca, GWTW, North By Northwest, Wizard of Oz, etc.....but there you have it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

This Warner boxset only madness will hopefully stop soon.

I any case I am sure that a few months later Warner will bring these to Blu-Ray without the added gizmos.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
To which version are you referring? The initial flipper/snapper, which was produced from a 35mm reduction print, then overcropped to appease all those who screamed "it has to be 2.76:1", or the 4 disc set from 2004? Both versions have their issues, but the 2004 is miles ahead of the original disc.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
What worries me about this box of junk methodology is that Warner may say "Look, no one's buying these old films" and it kills the releases of other older titles. Look how many of us are saying we're not buying these - although if they were regular (or digibook) editions, they would be no-brainers.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Well, it would be nice to have a blu-ray disc only, but after buying these titles countless times, Warner seems to realize the customer needs something more than just a disc of the film to get them to upgrade. These box sets do look good, but there should be a bare bones edition available also. And the $90 price tag brings us back to the early days of VHS and Laserdiscs

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If it doesn't sell, they'll know that the box and its price were large factors in that. At the very least, I think they'll give a regular release of Casablanca, The Wizard Of Oz, etc. a chance before pulling the plug on all older titles. I can only hope that when one of the above titles gets a regular release that it sells great so they see that there's a large number of people who just want the discs and not a box of extra stuff for an extra $40.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Remember how MGM felt they could charge a premium for Gone With the Wind even well into the 1990s? Even the CLV laserdisc was a good $40 less than the VHS version.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
True, and Warner's modus operandi @ this point appears to be to release a box set, then the disc (or discs) itself a few months down the road. I point to the BD releases of the 89-97 Batman films and the Matrix box as examples. Whether or not this happens with Casablanca and Oz remains to be seen.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

It should be released in 2009 as that would be its 50th anniversary. But, if it takes till 2010 to get it right, I can wait.

Roland

For an antidote to box-o-junk, get a region-free player and shop amazon.co.uk. Australia and UK already have single-disc Casablanca on Blu, and the Wizard of Oz and GWTW available as preorders are free-o-junk. Wizard is still 3-disc, far as I know, but compact, with no hidden broomsticks.

And also, to add: have Warner met Judah Ben Hur? Did they see what that guy did to Messala in the chariot race? You take a guy like that, you can't just miss his birthday... He'll smash you.

And also, to add: I quite like my 4-disc set and re-watched the film again the other day, and listened to some of Heston commentary. Really enjoyed it, but I can't wait to have it on one disc, so I don't have to get up half way through.

And also, if anyone's out there: just a reminder, could I have Lawrence of Arabia on blu ray too, I really want it. Thanks.

Ben

For an antidote to box-o-junk, get a region-free player and shop amazon.co.uk. Australia and UK already have single-disc Casablanca on Blu, and the Wizard of Oz and GWTW available as preorders are free-o-junk. Wizard is still 3-disc, far as I know, but compact, with no hidden broomsticks.

And also, to add: have Warner met Judah Ben Hur? Did they see what that guy did to Messala in the chariot race? You take a guy like that, you can't just miss his birthday... He'll smash you.

And also, to add: I quite like my 4-disc set and re-watched the film again the other day, and listened to some of Heston commentary. Really enjoyed it, but I can't wait to have it on one disc, so I don't have to get up half way through.

And also, if anyone's out there: just a reminder, could I have Lawrence of Arabia on blu ray too, I really want it. Thanks.

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks