What's new

WARNER HOME VIDEO ANNOUNCES NEW MORATORIUMS FOR 2010: Citizen Kane and Ben-Hur (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WARNER HOME VIDEO ANNOUNCES NEW MORATORIUMS FOR 2010 Burbank, Calif., April 27, 2010 – Warner Home Video has announced a moratorium initiative in North America for Ben-Hur and Citizen Kane, two best-selling titles. Citizen Kane will start May 10, 2010 and Ben-Hur will start July 12, 2010. The two titles will then be re-introduced late 2011 in new editions celebrating a confluence of events: anniversaries, stunning remasterings, and spectacular new Blu-ray debuts. About the titles:
  • CITIZEN KANE -- Orson Welles’ Academy-Award®-winning masterwork that expanded filmmaking frontiers like no other movie in history and has been hailed repeatedly by critics and filmmakers as the greatest film ever made was last released in 2001 as a60th Anniversary DVD. [COLOR= blue] [/COLOR]
  • BEN-HUR -- Winner of 11 Academy Awards®, and starring Charlton Heston as Judah, this spectacular biblical epic film will be placed on moratorium in anticipation of its upcoming 50th Anniversary. Ben-Hur was last released in 2005 as a Four-Disc Collector’s Edition DVD.
Jeff Baker, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog stated, “As in the past, Warner Home Video is, once again, placing two of our ‘event’ titles on moratorium 12-18 months in advance of major re-releases. Two seminal films will go on moratorium this year: Citizen Kane starting May 10 and Ben-Hur starting July 12. Both films are undergoing comprehensive restorations in preparation for their return in 2011 in both DVD and for the first time ever in Blu-ray. We know that it will be worth the wait, as significant content additions are being developed, and Ben-Hur, in particular, has been selected to receive the Ultimate Collectors Edition treatment, reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind and Woodstock , which celebrated anniversaries in 2009.”

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Sounds really promising these new editions, you wonder what else can they release on these seminal movies ?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
huh, I had figured these would be the GWTW and Oz of fall 2010. What are we getting instead? Singin' in the Rain possibly, in the GWTW november slot, anything lined up for September Oz slot?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]So no BD Ben-Hur this year.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]
It is my understanding that Ben-Hur has been a very
difficult restoration for Warner.

I would rather wait and see it done right.[/COLOR]

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Adam_S /forum/thread/300142/warner-home-vi...or-2010-citizen-kane-and-ben-hur#post_3685470

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]
It is my understanding that Ben-Hur has been a very
difficult restoration for Warner.

I would rather wait and see it done right.
[/COLOR]
Hear, hear.

Sold my DVD in anticipation only recently. But I can wait.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]I'm all for Ben-Her looking the best it can, & I don't mind waiting, but I thought their second go at it looked pretty good.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I'm excited for Ben-Hur on BD. I just hope that an edition with the same discs but no swag is made available on the same day or shortly after the collector's set.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkin The Ewok

I'm excited for Ben-Hur on BD. I just hope that an edition with the same discs but no swag is made available on the same day or shortly after the collector's set.
Screw that! I'm hoping for it to include a real chariot! "Collect 'em all!" "Race yer friends!"

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Billy Batson

I'm all for Ben-Her looking the best it can, & I don't mind waiting, but I thought their second go at it looked pretty good.

I posted a cap from the HD version of the "second go" some time ago - it is looking soft and mushy compared to other large format movies that are already out on Blu-Ray.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
hopefuly Paramount will do a similar thing when they release The Ten Commandments; the silent version as an extra, but agreed i want it in HD and right

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There is "Mutiny on the Bounty" later this year - maybe that will fill the GWTW/OZ release slot with both the 1935 and 1962 versions, they still have not released their HD of "Grand Prix" pn Blu-Ray

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Any murmurs of rumblings regarding The Magnificent Ambersons? I really hope we don't have to wait til 2012...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks