What's new

Warner Archive Launches Streaming Service (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Robert Crawford said:
For the first time, I've been kind of experimenting with downloading and streaming between Amazon Prime and Apple TV.  Which uses more of any quota your ISP might place on you, downloading or streaming?  Also, downloading appears to offer better PQ than streaming which isn't surprising considering each process. Crawdaddy
I think by downloading you're pretty much going to get the exact thing that you would by going into a store or paying Warner to make you a MOD. With the quality to streaming it's certainly going to depend on the source that they are showing. I've "upgraded" through quite a few systems and I think the format is getting pretty darn close to perfection or at least something to where most people aren't going to notice a major difference. In the early days there was no question you were watching a stream but things have gotten better. The internet connection is certainly an important factor. I go through Insight and I believe on the internet they go to a 50.0 but I'm at a 10.0 and don't have the buffering issues or anything like that. You still have to be cautioned as sometimes "bad" things get show. Meaning, at one point Netflix was showing some Jean Rollin titles in French but the subtitles weren't working. This issue was eventually fixed. I know that Bob Clark documentary cut off after fifty-minutes but this too was eventually fixed. I think Netflix needs to improve their CS when it comes to the streaming but they've said this is being worked on. Amazon is extremely friendly and always help if you have any issues with quality.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
To be fair, I think Netflix was doing people a service by not having the subtitles working during the Rollin titles. I've seen most of his work and the naked women are usually the best things. I'm guessing Netflix just didn't want the subs covering up the best part of the films. :D Back to the topic....it seems most "testers" are posting positive things about this Beta version. Most say it's not quite on the level of Netflix but perhaps the official version is going to show or do something else. Hopefully a queue will be available and especially if they are going to be charging a monthly rate. I'm also pretty sure I'm the only one who hasn't gotten an invite since it seems a lot are getting them hours after setting up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There is no search that i can find but might be because everything is there So no search is needed. Also there is no option other then play. NF has a resume button but Today I watched some of the Loved One, Went back and started it again, the button only Says play but it did resume were I left off. A que or some way to save titles is missing and us needed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats the same guy that keeps spamming this topic and has been deleted a bunch of times.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Without engaging him in discussion, I'm asking the membership to just report any posts this person makes with whatever new alias. His agenda is to disrupt this forum and your help is needed to help us alleviate such disruptions. Thank you.
Crawdaddy

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I received a promotional email with an invite code today. I'm not sure if it is because of because I registered over a week ago or a cross promotion from my WBShop/Warner Archive account. The code is valid up to March 1, so maybe the service is coming out of Beta around that time?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I received a code too, and got in to the service, which has a user-friendly interface similar to others on Roku. That's the good news. The bad news is that the small handful of movies and TV shows (so far) are all blocked as "not available." So maybe they're simply testing the interface at this stage?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I got the code too. I'm not certain where the put the invitation code because there's not a place through the Roku or on the site unless I'm missing something. As Tom said, I'm getting the not available note.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Try watching one of the movies on the website after logging in. There will be a prompt to enter the invite code.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks. Starting the movie on the website actually kick-started the movies on the Roku to where I could view them there. A few quick notes. 1. From what I sampled this seems to be pretty good, although they certainly need more titles, which I'm guessing is going to happen when it goes live. I still hope they add some really rare stuff even if it is a pay-per-view type of thing. 2. Certainly needs a queue. 3. The website has a good breakdown (decade, genre) so hopefully there will be a search option on the Roku station. There were quite a few Bette Davis movies so it would be nice to search for a star or director and everything comes up. 4. I hope the FF and Rewind buttons will be "fixed" to where you can actually view the scenes as you're going through them. This here obviously isn't important if you're watching a film straight through but if you're looking for a certain scene it's nearly impossible to find it because you'll be going back and forth so much. Netflix has this. I don't believe Amazon does so I'm not sure if this here is just something Netflix is doing. Now this here isn't meant as some sort of official review since I only sampled some of the films I'm more familiar with. FREAKS is said to be HD and it's certainly a major upgrade from the previous DVD release. There's a lot more detail here and especially during the final sequence in the storm. I also checked the table sequence with the famous lines and it too looked much better and the sound was also better. MARK OF THE VAMPIRE and THE DEVIL DOLL are also included but I didn't check either of these. THE MASK OF FU MANCHU is another that looked much better here. I haven't seen the DVD in such a long time that I really can't say how much but there's still a difference. CAT PEOPLE and ISLE OF THE DEAD also looked to be better here. HORROR OF DRACULA didn't look all that hot to me. I'd say it was a slight improvement over the DVD but nothing really jumped out on this one. I didn't check the framing for those unhappy with the DVD. SOYLENT GREEN also looked much better in the HD version. I haven't seen the Blu of this so I really can't compare. THE SCARLET LETTER looked better here than I remember seeing on TCM. The print of WEST POINT here looks like what I remember from its screening.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Thanks for the guidance, Joe and Michael. I'm in now. For any others who receive a code from WB and have a Roku -- in addition to linking your device (once you're registered on the Warner site), you'll need to click on any movie title on the Warner site and you'll see a prompt at right to launch your trial. This will then sync up your Roku.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Since this deals with steaming, shouldn't this topic be in the streaming section of HTF?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Well Warner is indeed working out some kinks. Half the movies/shows I've tried to view don't load on my Roku (but seem to work on my laptop). They should just consult Amazon and Netflix on whom to use for their backbone architecture...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Nebiroth said:
No, streaming is a superior format when it comes to renting. It;s no suprise - streaming, after all, has instant delivery, where renting a physical disc doesn't. That's why more people chose it....for renting. There is no way that streaming is a superior format for viewing - not to DVD and espescially not to BluRay.
If you are comparing streaming a movie in 1080p, to a movie on DVD in 480p, streaming clearly wins. Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
If you are comparing streaming a movie in 1080p, to a movie on DVD in 480p, streaming clearly wins.
Doug
Not all the time during a viewing of each and depending on your streaming speed.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Crawford said:
Not all the time during a viewing of each and depending on your streaming speed.
My connection is around 15mbps, and peeks at 30mbps. As long as you have a 10mbps connection or better, you should be able to get a 1080p video with 5.1 audio with no problem. If you are trying to stream and you have something under 10mbps its probably time to upgrade. I read a report a few days ago that the FCC is mandating a national average connection speed of at least 15mpbs by 2015, and 30mbps by 2019 with a minimum speed of 10mbps. Doug

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
My connection is around 15mbps, and peeks at 30mbps. As long as you have a 10mbps connection or better, you should be able to get a 1080p video with 5.1 audio with no problem. If you are trying to stream and you have something under 10mbps its probably time to upgrade.
I read a report a few days ago that the FCC is mandating a national average connection speed of at least 15mpbs by 2015, and 30mbps by 2019 with a minimum speed of 10mbps.
Doug
That's a lot higher than most of have unless you're using cable or Fios.
Crawdaddy

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Crawford said:
That's a lot higher than most of have unless you're using cable or Fios. Crawdaddy
I have a cable connection, and have the second from the bottom speed my company offers. Most DSL connections are 10 to 15mbps. What service do you have that is much slower than 10 mbps? In my opinion anything under about 8mbps is pretty much useless for viewing any multi media over the internet. Most video content today, on you tube for example, is now 1080p. These speeds are going to be mandated so your connection speed should improve considerably over the next few years. Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks