What's new

Sony posts great Launch Lineup and then drops the bomb with the worst FAQ answers (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
First, the good news, 16 games officially on the shelves for launch day:http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/30/sony-confirms-16-titles-for-playstation-4-launch.aspxIncluding:Killzone: Shadow FallKnackAngry Birds Star Wars – ActivisionAssassin's Creed IV: Blag Flag – UbisoftBattlefield 4 – Electronic ArtsCall of Duty: Ghosts – ActivisionFIFA 14 – EA SportsInjustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition – Warner Bros. InteractiveLego Marvel Super Heroes – Warner Bros. InteractiveMadden NFL 25 – EANBA 2K14 – 2K SportsContrast – Compulsion GamesPinball Arcade – FarSight Studios Then this bullshit:http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/sony-releases-list-of-things-the-playstation-4-cant-dohttp://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/
Audio CDs aren't supported. Your MP3s aren't supported. None of my existing music is compatible with your PlayStation 4… until you pay Sony. “The Music Unlimited streaming service will allow you to listen to music while you play PS4 games,” the page states. “A subscription to Music Unlimited is required.”Why let you use the music you've already paid for, when they can resell it to you?Can you change your PSN name? No. Can you connect an external hard drive? No. Can I stream video or movies from my PC? Of course not. “The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers,” Sony explains, helpfully. Why the hell not?
WhatTheFox

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
4K is out:Will PS4 support 4K content for video or gaming?Support for high-resolution 4K output for still images and movie content is in consideration, but there are no further details to share at this time. PS4 does not currently support 4K output for games.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
WhatTheFox
Do you mean, what does the fox say?
fox.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
I was being sarcastic in that "of course, you weren't replacing your PS3. You were just adding a PS4".
I'm pretty much trapped by this because of the non backwards compatibility. It also isn't clear if videos you purchased on the Playstation Store will transfer over. Here's an example: I purchased a few videos that later disappeared from the PS store, then reappeared. They're on my PS3 hard drive. If they are on the PS4 store can I still download them to my PS4? If they have disappeared again is there a way to transfer them?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Oh, I took the 'you' literally to mean ME. That makes more sense.In my case, no, even with these dumb changes my PS3 is moving to the bedroom and the PS4 is going in the basement theater. I expect to keep my second Ps3 (purchased when the first went in for long repairs) in my family room for the time being and won't be buying one to replace that until they hit the $250 mark a few years down the line.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm tempted to dump my PS4 pre-order. My plan was to set it up in the living room to replace an old bluray player and add functionality to play files from the server, as I enjoy on the PS3. Than once I caught up on my PS3 gaming, I was going to swap them out and use the PS4 as my primary player.

Will if I can't use to PS3 to listen to cds, or stream digital movies I've legally bought, then it's useless to me. Can it even play a divx or mp4 video file? The faq doesn't say so.

So I'm either cancelling my pre-order, or I might try to flip it for a profit and be one of those jerks. Unless Sony acknowledges these completely idiotic steps backward. It's bad enough that the PS3 games you bought through the PSN wont work on it, it's absolutely abysmal that in this day an age you can't play a legally purchased MP3 file, let alone a CD! I mean, it should be able to play FLAC files that the PS3 can't.

Stupidest thing since Microsoft put out all it's non-sharing, constant spying stuff and told fans to love it or leave it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
schan1269 said:
I was being sarcastic in that "of course, you weren't replacing your PS3. You were just adding a PS4".
IT's gross, but Sony seems to be thinking exactly that. I have limited space as is. I'm going to see how this next gen stuff works out, and might end up jumping to Xbox. I don't have room to have two generations of gaming players set up.

Huge Sony fail for me. I guess when things sound to good to be true, it really is best not to get excited. :(

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the lack of extra-media support really is bothering me too. I have an Oppo out in the living room but keep the gaming consoles in the bedroom. I have a dedicated BD player as well because the PS3 was too loud while playing discs. I had heard all sorts of rumors leading up to the release of the PS4 and XBone that this was going to be Sony's and MS's attempt at an all-in-one media and entertainment hub, and now that near-final specs are out it's surprising how wrong that was, at least for Sony's PS4.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You thought the launch lineup looked good? I'm debating keeping my preorder because the lineup is so weak. How many exclusive games are in there? Like 5 or 6 and half are downloadable small/indie games. MS has more launch games but its also pretty weak.As far as the other stuff in the FAQ...that's all actually kind of old news. The stuff about MP3s is a bit of a surprise but everything else is old information. They wanted to save money by omitting CD capability and almost no peripherals will carry from PS3 to PS4. I'm not sure why this is surprising or a big deal.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Morgan Jolley said:
As far as the other stuff in the FAQ...that's all actually kind of old news. The stuff about MP3s is a bit of a surprise but everything else is old information. They wanted to save money by omitting CD capability and almost no peripherals will carry from PS3 to PS4. I'm not sure why this is surprising or a big deal.
I missed hearing about the CD thing. Seems like other media sites are in disbelief over it as well. CD is still doing fine, and if I'm home, I'm picking a CD over an MP3 every time since other than FLAC files, CDs always sound better on my system.

I kept hearing how it PS4 was going to be the central media hub in your home and concentrate on games. It certainly concentrates on the games. Instead it wont play any media other than that you buy from sony or subscribe too, or blurays and DVDs. To hell with that. I have videos I ripped on external hard drives docked and plugged into my PS3, now I can;t do that on the PS4? Isn't the next gen supposed to be an improvement?

Others are saying that even videos on USB sticks wont be recognized. I'm hoping for official clarification from Sony. I'm giving them 24 hours. If there is nothing by the end of tomorrow, I'm cancelling my pre-order. Of course for the first time in my history of dealing with Amazon.ca, they shipped the controller out early on my "ship complete" order with the PS4, so I'm going to have to try to return it local for store credit or something. This whole experience is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Reading that faq, and following the XBone stuff, the current next gen slate is a skip for me. My needs are better served buying a second PS3 or a cheap LG bluray player. If Sony gets the PS4 back to being a media center, I'll be back in their camp. As it stands, nope. I don't care about the social media/sharing video garbage they have the wet pants over, I wanted a solid gaming system and media center for my home theater.

So as it stands, if I want to enjoy the functionality of my PS3, I'd have to buy a PS4, a bluray/CD player, and a Boxee server of some sort.. DUMB SONY, REALLY DUMB!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just a few thoughts:
I've never used my PS3 or XBOX as a DLNA responder.. because they frankly suck badly at it. Then Again, Sam knows I use Media Center everywhere, so MCX is important to me, but Sony is not my primary video watching tool. The same goes with CDAudio & MP3.. I don't do any of that now, so it has almost no impact on me.

These other launch titles have been added: Skylanders, Super Motherload, Tiny Brains, and Warframe,

Sony has also said that PSN network titles for the PS4 will also release on launch, though we aren't sure how many as that may be fluid.

Sony still launches with the basic requirements: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. and yes, if you want MP3s you can get their service. But damn, most TVs on their own without a PS3/4/XBOX play MP3s.

In regards to the external hard drive, I'm not sure how that's a loss at all. The PS3 doesn't allow saving game data to an external hard drive outside of a backup, and backups are still allowed.... what's more, you have to compare it to the alternatives. The PS4 (like the PS3) allows you to change the internal hard drive for any laptop-design 2.5" HDD or SSD or SHDD. Meanwhile, on the XB1, there is no option to change the hard dive (period).

so it's hard to be up in arms over this.
If they get enough response, I'm sure they could add DLNA down the road, but I can't think of a real compelling reason for them to do so.

The idea about "will my PS3 Blue-Ray remote move on.." doesn't impact me at all. I just bought the PS3 Bluray remote for $18 at walmart, and it's 'eh'.. I assumed this would change, the same way my Panasonic TV remote for my plasma doesn't work with the panasonic older TV at my parents.

Meanwhile, the big news for me was this:
We are continuing the spirit of Instant Game Collection on PS4 and offering our users free content and access to new gameplay experiences that foster stronger social connections and discovery. At the launch of PS4, PS Plus members will have access to Resogun and Contrast for no additional charge. PlayStation Plus will then rotate in a new digital PS4 title every month. For one price, PlayStation Plus members get all of the benefits of PS Plus across all supported platforms.
Two games for free on launch day, and
Will any PlayStation Store content purchased on PS3 or PS Vita systems be transferable to a PS4 system?
In some cases, yes. For example, a selection of popular digital titles including Flower, flOw, Escape Plan and Sound Shapes will be available to purchase on PS4 after launch. Gamers who purchased these titles for the PS3 or PS Vita systems (the PS Vita system only, in the case of Escape Plan) will be able to download the PS4 versions of these titles, some of which feature enhanced graphics or improved features, to their PS4 systems for no additional charge.
Boom. Bought a PSN title on the PS3? Free on the PS4. And Fl0w is one I am really looking forward to on the PS4

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's going to be different for each person. I bought a PS3 for the media playing aspects, I wanted a good bluray player, and at one point that was PS3. I got back into gaming through it, but it was always a player first.

The PS4 is obviously a game machine first, it's stripped of all the things that made the PS3 so versatile. So that's great if you don't need any of the other aspects, but not so great if space is limited and you don't want to go back to a bunch of dedicated machines when you had one that did it all.

It's the equivalent of putting out a cellphone that no longer does texts because it can do video messaging now. Doesn't make sense to not allow something as no brainer as playing CDs in this day and age. :S

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Out of all the changes, the change to drop CD Audio makes the most sense, actually. CD Audio is a different read laser then Bluray or DVD. I have a feeling CD Audio isn't ever going to be added because I'm betting the drive doesn't support an infrared laser, required for CD Audio.. it will come with a Blu-ray laser and a red-DVD laser, but that's it.

I've seen more of these out there, and for people who had HD-DVD/DVD combos, several drives also physically couldn't read CD Audio. I'm betting this is the case.

As they say, it will still play DVD, BD, 3D BD, etc. and multiple streaming services. I'm betting at some point they come back and add DLNA, it's just not that high on my list, because DLNA baseline quality well.. sucks.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I get what you're saying Matt, but if the Oppo can do DVD-A, BD, CD, SACD, DVD-V...I don't think Sony has much of an excuse. Also, the lack of SACD support I suppose is Sony finally fully giving up on the format, which is also sad for me as an audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks