What's new

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 4 (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I hope so. I saw the few seconds that were originally made for Destino a couple of years later and was fascinated by them - completely different to anything Disney has ever done. I would love to see the full completed short released to DVD sometime.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
For some reason, I never saw the first wave of these ever come out. Are they still available anywhere?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Long gone from shelves. Check eBay. They shouldn't be too expensive, but you'll have to get them one or two at a time--Costco sold combo packs at one point, which gave people the opportunity to fill gaps in their collections and resell the dupes. No metal tins with those, though.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Looks like my most anticipated of the previously rumored Wave 4 has been delayed - True Life Adventures.

:frowning:

On the other hand, Mickey and Pluto will be mine. I'm gonna pass on The Mickey Mouse Club.

:)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
That picture of the Mickey Mouse Club is labelled October 3, 1955 - October 7, 1955. They're going to have a set devoted to 5 days of this show?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

that's the only one i was going to be excited to get.
i'm not a fan of the Diney characters, but i was thrilled with the Tommorrowland set- it was even better than i was hoping it would be.

hopefully its not too long of delay.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I just received mine yesterday from the Disney Movie Club. Not sure if the Wave 1 discs are still available (they were two weeks ago) but you can buy the Treasures to fulfill your obligation to the Club and get three free discs in the process.

Aaron_H

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
Unfortunately, the Wave 1 DVDs are no longer available from the Disney Movie Club. They are no longer listed on the Disney Movie Club website. Wave 2 is still available, though.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Where's Donald V.2? I'll probably buy them all but I am disappointed that there'll be no 2nd volume of Donald Duck this wave.

And wouldn't True-Life Adventures need more than 2 discs to fit them all?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Gotta love the bickering over at UltimateDisney forums about The Complete Pluto being a Volume One. As if a complete collection of something can't come in volumes. :D

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
^ I think you missed the point Paul. By a long shot.

I'll repost my thoughts into this thread so you can reread:

The first Pluto short was "Bone Trouble", released in 1940 and the last I believe was 1951's "Cold Turkey".

There should be a total of 48 theatrical shorts officially starring Pluto, no more, no less...

Even if the producers of this set decided to divide the series into two subsequent releases with Vol. II beginning at 1947, and even assuming that all later Mickey Mouse cartoons in which Pluto happened to make an appearance were to be presented, that still with a plethora of bonus features, interviews, etc. would not amass to more than 25-27 cartoons at most which would equate to only approx. 3 hours worth of material - rehashed at that - spread over a 2 disc set!

Again, I really hope this is just a simple oversight because up until this wave, I haven't had a single legitemate criticism to offer in regards to these sets, at least as much as quality is concerned.

If Disney decides to start packing on the same bits and pieces of tired content and material from each past release, I will be really pissed off! We just saw all these 1950 shorts on Wave 3 not even five whole months ago... Why repackage them on a set in which they don't belong, only to spread out and prolong the release of their Pluto filmography which could and should be easily fit onto one complete and definitive set, as was done with Goofy.

The WD Treasures to date, have not only been a last commitment of quality and trust from a vastly waning company in the public's eye, but in all truth and honesty in my opinion, some of the absolute best DVD's released in the medium, ever!

I will be extremely dissapointed to learn that this set will be nothing more than a trite "volume 1" amalgam of rehashed cartoons that don't even fall into the context of Pluto's official film library...

This one cover alone totally destroyed my optimism for the future of these Treasures... at this rate, we'll be on H-DVD technology before we ever get to the final chapter in The Chronological Donald Duck series!

They couldn't even get the proper color fill on the featured character's ears....

If anyone has Mr. Maltin's email address, it would be great to shoot him a message regarding this title.. I hope this is a mistake!

and a follow-up reply:

I was and am quite happy with my MMILC2 set and as previously stated, haven't really had any criticisms towards any of these Treasures so far. If however, the producers of this upcoming Pluto set decide to start rehashing that same content from the Mickey Mouse collection onto this Pluto set where it doesn't belong, in order to stretch out the releases and milk all they can from us collector's who have been supporting the series since the beginning, than that's not cool at all! There should be no valid reasons for this 2-disc set to be stretched out and extended over two volumes. I don't see how Disney can really offer much in the way of extras for a nondescript run-of-the-mill character like Pluto when Goofy didn't even warrant much more than a pair of voice cast interviews. Again, I hope this was just some accidental concept art that somehow leaked onto the internet and that we will see one complete and definitive collection of Pluto cartoons and nothing more.

It's not about the format, it's about the thought and effort that goes into these releases and unfortunately from what little we know, it already seems like Disney is slipping in this regard...

The fact of the matter is, that all of these shorts should be put into one complete and definitive set, period.

They easily fit and it's a perfect ideal context.

Furthermore, now that just about every other Disney character has been covered in terms of their theatrical short subjects, Pluto should as well recieve the same treatment.

Going by the proposed print on the above posted tins, we can only assume that Disney plans to cut corners with this one.

Including cartoons that are not part of Pluto's official catalogue and more off, cartoons that were just released not even 5 full months back at the expense of cheating those of us who have been avid and enthusiastic collectors of these sets out of a definitive quality package... Does that seem right?

Mickey Mouse In Living Color Vol. 1 covered Mickey's entire theatrical career up until 1938, Vol. 2 subsequently continued in this context by issuing the remaining theatrical titles in order to complete his entire filmography.

Likewise has been the case with Goofy, who like Pluto, bears fewer shorts in comparisson to the other popular Disney characters - Mickey, Donald and the Silly Symphonies titles, etc.

I believe the difference in the number of shorts between Pluto and Goofy's film library, is less than can be counted on both hands.

While we should be presented a complete catalogue over 2-discs with the common supplemental features, instead what we assume Disney has planned, is to lump on a handfull of cartoons that are not even under Pluto titles onto this set - And worse off, were just released a couple of months earlier!

So now, instead of a proper comprehensive collection as promised and expected, we might instead see two sets chalk full of rehashed fluff, only to unnecessarily prolong release dates in order to milk more out of us collectors.

As stated, that is not cool at all.

What dissapoints me more so, however - and keep in mind that I don't mean to jump the gun just yet because we are still not quite sure what any of this means (though it's not promising!) - but what dissapoints me more over, is the high regard for quality and care that has always been devoted to this series. A distinction of excellence.

That, until this wave, was assured.

The absolute utmost went into the releases, and now if the above assumptions hold true, well than it seems that these have fallen victim to the rest of the ever common Disney class degradation.

Anyways, I don't mean to go overboard, but it's really dissapointing to say the least. Especially when the title of the set is clearly branded "THE COMPLETE PLUTO" and no mention of a Volume or Series 1 is even apparent...

:thumbsdown:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
No, Marco, I agree that the Complete Pluto should (and I hope will) be a single 2-disc release. There's no reason it should be split into two volumes. But on the other hand, if they are doing that, I see no problem with it being called "The Complete Pluto: Volume 1", and I don't understand what's all the fuss about it being both "Complete" and "Volume 1"... And the artwork could very well be preliminary. With 4 month till release I bet it is. We see covers change all the time.

By the way,

I'm sure you can find his email on his site, www.leonardmaltin.com.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
Only three titles for this wave. I thought they would do four.

One other nitpick on these covers: what is the deal with the date underneath the MMC logo? "October 3, 1955-October 7, 1955" I'll just assume that its due to the rather preliminary nature of the artwork (as with Pluto's ears).

At any rate, having dropped the "miscellaneous collections" and "True Life Adventures" from the wave, I don't think i'll be picking up any of these.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Really? Not even Mickey Mouse in B&W 2? That's the one I'm most eagerly waiting for! And of course Pluto.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks