Walt Disney Treasure 2008 - Wave 8

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brandon Conway, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Details from dvdactive.com

- Destino
    - Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow
    - Chronological Donald Vol. 4

“Destino,” began in 1946 as a collaboration between Walt Disney and the famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali. A first-hand example of Disney’s interest in avant garde and experimental work in animation, “Destino” was to be awash with Dali’s iconic melting clocks, marching ants and floating eyeballs. However, “Destino” was not completed at that time. In 2003 it was rediscovered by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney, who took on the challenge of bringing the creation of these two great artists to fruition. In addition to the completed “Destino”, this exciting addition to the Walt Disney Treasures line also includes an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney plus two new featurettes; “The Disney That Almost Was,” an examination of the studio’s unfinished projects; and “Encounters with Walt,” which addresses the surprisingly diverse group of celebrities and artists who were attracted to Walt Disney’s early work.

“Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow,” which first aired as three separate episodes on Disney’s weekly TV show under the title “The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh,” was edited for theatrical releases in England and the U.S. This DVD set includes all three of the original TV episodes plus the theatrical version of the film that was released in England.

Disney fans will delight in “Chronological Donald, Volume 4,” which includes 31 classic shorts starring Donald Duck. Each of these meticulously animated adventures was created between 1951 and 1961 and has rarely been seen. All of Donald’s CinemaScope shorts will be presented in their original widescreen aspect ratio for the first time on video.

2. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I haven't even opened any of the 25 tins I have now. I guess 3 more won't hurt.

Let's hope the CinemaScopes are "ANAMORPHIC!!!"

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Never heard of Destino but it sounds really interesting!

4. CraigAllen

CraigAllen Agent

I saw Destino a few years ago, (I think it was with Spirited Away). It's about time it is getting a dvd release. Destino is a fantastic piece of animation.

5. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

I'm thrilled they'll be wrapping up the Donald Ducks. Hopefully they'll toss in the solo Chip N Dale features as bonus. and finally Dr. Syn after all the delays. Although Destino is a short. Are they going to pad it to 2 DVDs?

6. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

That makes me feel better - I thought it was only me! They look good on the shelves though. Looks like this might be the last batch, so at least I won't have to buy any more!

7. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve

Destino was initially slated to be released as part of Walt Disney's Legacy Collection:

[​IMG]

But after the 4 True-Life Adventures sets rolled out, Disney sort of pulled the plug on the promised future releases. 2 of those were released last year as part of Treasures Wave 7 (Disneyland Secrets and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit), so the slated Wave 8 release of Destino pretty much completes the promised stuff from the forgotten Legacy series.

8. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

LOL, add me to the list of having a shelf full of unopened Disney cans.

Destino is wonderful, I believe it was nominated for an Oscar as Best Animated Short (it lost.)

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    This news is going to make some friends of mine very happy indeed!

10. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Ahhhh, Dr. Syn in both episodic form AND the re-edited movie. Hard to go wrong with that.

11. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Very happy about Destino. A few years ago, the local film festival ran a show called "Unseen Disney" that included a lot of rare material, including what was, at that time, all that had been produced of Destino. It wasn't much - 10 seconds of footage, showing two faces moving across the screen until they comes together, and the space in the middle forms the shape of a ballerina. And that was all. But it looked spectacular, and I've always wanted to see it, ever since I heard they finished it. They've obviously had to pad the set out, but the documentaries do sound good.

12. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Definitely. I think this will be the only installment I pick up this time.

13. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Good news. Looking forward to Destino and Donald Vol 4. These will probably be the last SD DVDs I buy - unless Song of the South gets released.

-Reagan

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Sounds great! Unlike others, i ahve opened all my treasures, I just tend not to watch the latest wave until the next wave comes out. [​IMG]

I hope they continue th eline though. I'd love to see a set called "Educational Disney" or something, with the classic films made for schools and such. Be a lot of fun. "Song Of The South" would be a good treasure too, maybe padded with other less then PC material.... hint hint. [​IMG]

15. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Destino and Dr. Syn for me. I've still gotta pick up Oswald from the last series.

16. seanbob

seanbob Auditioning

Because Disney failed to provide a list of the shorts included in the Donald set, I doubt anybody really knows... but are we thinking this will be the set that will finally include Donald in Mathmagic Land on DVD?

It was released during the '51-'61 time period and has been available at the Disney Movie Club for a while now, so I'd love to see an uncut copy of it as one of the included shorts or as a bonus feature on the new CD4 set. Here's to wishing upon a [​IMG] I guess...

17. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I am really glad they decided to wrap up the Chronological Donald series this year. I wasn't expecting the 4th installment until 2009 (usually they skip a year when it comes to Chronological Donald). Other than the snafu on Vol. 2 I will be thrilled to finally have all the Disney shorts featuring Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, et al on DVD.

-D

18. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Donald in Mathmagic Land is currently available on DVD... but only for members of the Disney Movie Club. It really needs a widespread release... hopefully this'll be it.

I am STOKED about Destino. I'm a huge Dali fan, so this is awesome news indeed.

19. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    Even though "Donald in Mathmagic Land" wasn't a regular DD cartoon, it would be irrational not to include it in the final volume. Which means there's a 50-50 chance it will be there.

I remember them showing us that in school in the late '50s -- also those Bell Telephone Science shows with Dr. Frank Baxter and some Disney animation. I'd love a complete set of those on DVD, too.

20. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott