What's new

Walked out? (1 Viewer)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Here is probably the worst situation to be in when wanting to give up viewing a movie in the theater. When I was a manager at a theater I decided to stay after work (midnight) to watch a new film that came in. I couldn't stand that movie after the first 15 minutes that I turned on the video games in the lobby and played until the movie was over. Unfortunately there was no way on the projectors to speed up the movie.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Walked out on Batman and Robin, Battlefield Earth, and Godzilla (1998) and I'm proud of it. Unlike many of you on this forum, I do not subscribe to the notion of you have to watch a movie to the very end, no matter how bad it is.

I mean, come on, is anyone on this forum going to tell me that the second half of Batman and Robin, Battlefield Earth, and Godzilla actually got better. :rolleyes

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's a shame that you didn't stick around for Battlefield Earth in it's entirety, Coreyll, you missed one of the great comedies of all time. ;)

If we must take any lesson away from Mystery Science Theater 3000, it's if a movie is bad, don't leave...laugh at it. :D

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
The only movie I've ever wanted to walk out on was "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" I just couldn't get into it until the last 20 minutes or so, then it was fine, but the rest of it was meh.

My dad and I both fell asleep during "Road to Perdition" it was the most boring thing ever.

Other than that I've never walked out on a movie, I paid $8 or $10 to see the thing plus gas money and money for food, I might as well finish it.
There have been a number of dvd's that I never finished on the other hand.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
A friend and I walked on Three Men And A Little Lady. As a comedy it should make you laugh. It didn't. Not once.

I was also thrown out of Predator 2. But thats because I was 10 and it was an R movie. Which is dumb because clearly that film was most enjoyed by the 10-14 crowd.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
My only walkout was:

Purple Rain

However three others would have been walkouts if I had known the person(s) I was with hated it as much as me:

Backdraft
The Frighteners
The Haunting

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I almost turned off Layer Cake last night after about 20 minutes. I did end up watching it all, and it ended up an OK film, but:

1. The center channel dialogue was mixed so low, that between that and the actors' accents I had to turn on the english subtitles. And that's after pushing up the center channel level to its max and using the dialogue enhancer option on my player.

2. If every instance and derivation of the word "Fu*k" were removed from the script, the movie would only be about 40 minutes long.

3. The first 20 minutes or so were deathly dull. I was having flashbacks to Superman Returns. ;) Finally, the plot started moving.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
The only movie I walked out of or should I say drove out of (it was a drive-in) was The Bad News Bears. I was a wee little kid and my Mom thought it was a family film about baseball. When she started to hear all the cursing, well that was it.

I should have walked out of Jaws IV: The Revenge. I certainly wanted my money back on that one.

There are a few dvd's that I never finished but the only one that comes to mind was Moulin Rouge. It simply made no sense.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
At AMCs, if you leave before the end, go to the courtesy desk -- they will give you a free pass to another film.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I walked out on Hoop Dreams when I was ten years old...too much movie for my friends and I at that age.

I should gave walked out on Almost Heroes, and Van Helsing. I fall asleep during movies more often than I should, even when I like them. King Kong is a perfect example of that.

If a critic is walking out before the movie is over, that is bull****. Their jobs are to watch movies, give me a break.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I admit, there are plenty of movies I -wish- I had walked out on. As a kid, I was given "free movie tickets" for my duty of delivering newspapers as a paperboy. The free tickets one year were for "Howard the Duck" Jeezus. I should have walked out.

I think it was the next year we received tickets for Johny Neumonic, almost equally as bad, just painful to watch.

But there have been very few movies I really did walk out on.. though there have been about 3 that I can think of right off the top of my head:

Postcards from the Edge - at a certain point I just said "I cannot take this film anymore.." and I walked out.

I walked out of one film even though I really enjoyed it because I got very sick in the middle (so was not the films fault) and that was Poetic Justice. For some reason, about half way through I knew I could not finish the film and had to rush home. Based on the rest of the evening, I'm sure the rest of the crowd was glad I bailed ;) I later watched this again and found it fairly enjoyable. I was suprised at how well I thought Janet Jackson performed.

I did walk out of North. And I would have puleld a Joel Siegel. I just felt so insulted about 1/2 way through that I thought about standing up and urging a riot in the theater. It was that insulting. Based on the fact that I was not even close to the only person to walk out, I think that says something.

Meanwhile, I've sat through crap (like Johny Neumonic and Howard the Duck as above) all the time. Hell, I watched "Battlefield Earth" in a theater, though admittedly I had free tickets, took two friends, and went to do a live MST3k type version of it.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Hey John,

If Battelfield Earth is one of the greats, then Batman and Robin must be "the" greatest comedy of all time. :)

CoreyII

Second Unit

Hey John,

You got that right, as soon as Travolta opened his mouth and started speaking, I was on the floor of the theater rolling in laughter. :)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Mortal Kombat II was worthy of walking out. The only thing that kept me in was the fact that other family members were in another movie theater and was scheduled to come out until 15 minutes after Mortal Kombat II was over.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I walked out twice during the '80s, only because the projection was horrific or the lights kept coming up every ten minutes because of some snafu!

I got seriously bored during PHANTOM MENACE, but otherwise have preferred since then to watch new movies on DVDs with popcorn and beer.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks