What's new

Veronica Mars season 1 (ongoing thread) (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was an interesting episode, but it was very rushed and poorly edited. Both plotlines were interesting, but there was a lot missing. Keith's face, for instance, got just a throwaway line, but is it supposed to be a plot point? If so, it's mysterious, but if not, it was just plain distracting. What about the paternity results? We know Veronica's happy with Keith being her father, even if he's not related by blood, but her whole character aches to know everythin, that I can't see her letting something that huge go by. I think it's a red herring, but I expect to see more about it in the near future.

And as for the "cult" (that was really just a benevolent commune), we needed more exposition on the whole dynamic between the parents and their son. Yes, they're evil. Yes, they were after the money the grandmother wouldn't give them for being evil. Yes, the son know about it. But was that the only reason he left? If he's such a good person, why was he such an ass in school?

The finest point in the episode, IMO, was the scene in the parking lot when the son drives up. We're led to believe he's reverted back to his asshole tendencies, what with the Porsche and attitude, but the fact that he gives a friendly "hey" to Veronica (the school pariah), indicates maybe he's not as deprogrammed as his parents think he is. It also lets us know that Veronica isn't the hardass image that she's built up around herself. If you don't beleive me, look at the crushed look on her face when she sees that car.

Oh, and a Kristen Bell shower scene? Multiple KB shower scenes?! She's a gorgeous woman already, and that just cemented her position as my new TV crush. Well, that and the sports bra flash that got Wallace in trouble:).

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
My take on it is that, Veronica's "reputation" and social standing at Neptune High pretty much puts her on the outs with anyone who's popular (i.e. the group she and the Gant's son were part of before Lily's murder). So any direct recognition, rather than dismissal or insults, counts for something. Maybe we'll see something in the future that clears it up, it would be pretty lame of them not to follow it up, whether it's another storyline or just for the sake of continuity.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
It was funny when she was thinking about the possibility of Duncan being her brother and then opening the car door and ...

A little bit of Duncan and Veronica history there ... that's not the funny part. The part where she thought of him being her brother and they had ... y'know. Subtlety is much more powerful than spelling it out for the audience.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Well, we know that she was raped after Duncan broke up with her, and since she lost her virginity when it happened, it's safe to assume things never made it to...home plate, as it were. Still, it is kind of squicky.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Veronica and Duncan probably only went to 2nd base at best during their courtship (maybe rounding towards third but the 3rd base coach told them to hang at 2nd), even that is pretty scary if they are half-siblings.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've watched all of these via BT, missed the show during its first few weeks. Great show. I'm surprised Paris Hilton was willing to guest-star on a show where the regular protagonist is so much more attractive.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Yeah I certain the whole paternity issue is just a red herring I almost can't believe she shredded the letter, besides, what is to stop her dad from putting it back together?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The episode was okay, but the poker mystery wasn't too hard to point to the culprit, but the manner in which the money was extracted was the only thing that surprised me.

Lisa Rinna's botoxed lips are a scary sight.

Well, we now know that it wasn't Jake Kane siccing the security on Veronica, and Jake immediately suspected his wife of the deed.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The plot may have been merely okay, but the acting was awesome this episode. I'd say that it's the best episode so far, and apparently so does almost everybody at TWOP. Lots of humor, drama, and peripheral character development. I can't wait to see how the cliffhanger is resolved.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Just finished catching up. Although I love Buffy dearly, this show evokes the essence of high school more clearly for me than any other I can remember. I can relate.

The way Logan can be clever and charming while having no soul whatsoever rings true. I knew people like that in high school and I remember how hard it was to hold grudges against them despite the truly evil way they treated people. And I love the fact that Weevil was incredibly cruel to Wallace in the beginning but is now basically a friend through Veronica. School is weird like that.

I'm deeply distrusting of macrostories thanks to JJ Abrams so that wouldn't be enough to keep me watching, but the increasingly complex relationships are gripping me. So far the only thing that has ticked me off is the shredding of the paternity results. She might not need to know who her father is, but she really needs to know if Duncan is her half-brother.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
While I am sure the Paternity issue is a big red herring, I think it is safe to assume it will be addressed at some point.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
A good episode. Veronica, as usual, uses people to get what she wants with negative results. This time, she helps Mac find dirt on her parents, and she finds something, all right! I liked this plot and how Mac deals with it. It had a sense of poignancy without being too melodramatic.

I had a feeling Keith Mars's situation would end up the way it did.

And at the end, Veronica drops the gauntlet and isn't going to sit and take it anymore!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This is a pretty great show. I don't know if they'll pursue Cindy MacKenzie further, but kudos to the writers in making her situation interesting, especially by not making the parents who raised her ridiculous caricatures. Also for name-checking The Westing Game.

Also, if that isn't actually Tina Majorino's actual little sister, good find by the casting folks.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This was one of the best and most cohesive episodes they have done to date. It's nice to see an already good show hitting its stride.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks