What's new

Veronica Mars season 1 (ongoing thread) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
11/2/04 "The Return of Kane"

Voting discrepancies in the student council president race between Duncan and an outsider named Wanda prompts Veronica to get to the bottom of the mystery.

The student council policies propagates the "haves and have nots" status quo in terms of lunch privileges (where the haves use Pirate points in order to be able to order food off school premises, Pirate points come from participation in "in" school activities). Wanda wants to abolish Pirate points, and runs her platform on that issue and gains a lot of support from the have nots.

Logan is fearful of a Wanda victory, so he throws Duncan's name into the hat, and even has his dad do an endorsement video on his behalf. Duncan wins in a landslide in the first election, but Veronica determines that someone sabotaged the opti-scan cards candidate selection instructions, resulting in votes for Wanda to be diverted to Duncan as well.

Logan brings shame on his family for his bum-fights on tape side-business. Harry Hamlin plays Logan's dad, and tries to do some public relations damage by arranging some charity work for Logan to be filmed by curious news crews. Logan takes the opportunity to cost his father $500,000 as a donation to the homeless shelter they were at for the afternoon serving food. Logan's father whips Logan many times for that costly pronouncement.

In the run-off election, the mudslinging starts, and Wanda is characterized as a "narc" and even Weevil won't support Wanda because she narc'd out one of his friends. Veronica test Wanda's propensity to narc out people, and Veronica is rewarded with yet another locker search after alluding to Wanda that Veronica is hooked up with extasy. Wanda was a narc, and it was due to wanting to keep her record expunged after getting busted for possession herself. Veronica is thankful that Duncan pulls off the election win, and immediately promotes a more inclusive Pirates points system, and then goes full-boar into deciding which candies they will sell as a fund-raiser.

Veronica gets caught poking through her dad's safe at work (her dad changed the safe's combination), but a photo from the safe gets her curiousity up since the photo shows shoes of Lilly, and it's the same pair that confessed convicted killer Koontz was found with in his dwelling last year. Veronica and her dad talk through why he's given up looking for Lilly's killer, but the photo will make him revive the investigation.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I got his last name mixed up with Veronica Hamel (last seen on "Lost" as few weeks ago). I'll fix my typo.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote:Veronica gets caught poking through her dad's safe at work (her dad changed the safe's combination), but a photo from the safe gets her curiousity up since the photo shows shoes of Lilly, and it's the same pair that confessed convicted killer Koontz was found with in his dwelling last year.
This description misses a key bit of information that explains the significance of the observation. The extra bit of info is that the photo is a crime scene photograph, so the shoes were in the room after the murder, meaning they were not in Koontz's possession until sometime well after the murder. Koontz was set-up with planted evidence.

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If anyone cares, "Veronica Mars" got a full-season pickup order, so the "back 9" episodes are given the go-ahead to be produced. Yay!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Anyone remember what happened to Jake 2.0 last season? Did they also get the back 9? I'm wondering if the situations are similar, because they can always get cancelled.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jake 2.0 had up to at least 16 episodes, but the last 3-4 were shown in Europe, not in the US when UPN pulled the plug.

Good episode of Veronica Mars tonight, especially with Weevil and Logan bonding in detention. Talk about your unlikely pairings.

The case with the pregnant neighbor was okay, but it was Veronica's macro-storyline that held my interest more.

Now, my guess about the revelation that Veronica Mars came to was that:

Veronica's real father is Jake Kane, and Duncan somehow found out, and that's why he stopped seeing her, giving her the cold shoulder before things got any further into becoming an episode from the Jerry Springer show.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
My thoughts exactly Patrick - after last nights episode this seems so evident that if true, I hope they don't drag this storyline out much longer.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I think the parentage will turn out to be a red herring -- I do believe there's a good chance it'll be revealed that Weevil and Lily are brother and sister. Hmmm...or that Lily will turn out to be a love child. I dunno. But I think any odd parentage angle will revolve around Lily rather than Veronica.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Jake just got around the block alot in his youth.

Now, will Logan run with the ball and find out if Weevil did have a sister named Lily? We all know Veronica would, but self-involved Logan? Hmm...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I doubt Jake Kane is actually Veronica's father. However, the idea that he might be could certainly cause just as much chaos. I also don't see how it gets Lily killed, as opposed to pretty much anyone else involved. One thing that the idea does do, however, is make Keith Mars the most logical suspect - and while I don't think he did it, it will certainly be fun to watch Veronica squirm when she comes to that conclusion.

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator
quote:I think the parentage will turn out to be a red herring -- I do believe there's a good chance it'll be revealed that Weevil and Lily are brother and sister. Hmmm...or that Lily will turn out to be a love child. I dunno. But I think any odd parentage angle will revolve around Lily rather than Veronica.

When question about his Lily tattoo, Weevil said that it was his little sister's name. Maybe he was telling the truth?!?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Well, they brought the possibility that Veronica is Jake Kane's biological daughter right to the forefront with this episode. I wish they had better ways of integrating the macrostory into the case(s) of the week, though.

Regards,

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually glad they don't; if everything in Neptune is connected to the Lily Kane murder, then not only will they have to build a whole lot more for Season Two (stop laughing!), but the show would get needlessly convoluted. The thematic connections are good enough - Veronica advising Meg to "get tough", but having her armor completely shredded because someone finally said what she was afraid of out loud.

I can't believe I hadn't recognized Christian Clemenson as Lily's "killer" before last night, though. First thing I've seen him in that didn't remind me of Socrates Poole at all.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I'm betting that the parentage issue is a red herring, at least as far as Veronica's parentage is concerned.

Oh well, still interesting. I'm hoping thay follow the Buffy/Alias concept and resolve some of the mysteries by the season's end rather than drag them out, ala X-Files.

RG

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Previous episodes have made these thematic connections more effectively. They were "good enough". Veronica seemed way too compartementalized in this one like a different person was participating in each of the three major storylines.

Basically, they went with one B-plot too many. They couldn't effectively include both the prison visit and tenant from Hades subplots. There was short shrift given to the lawyer's role in the former and the nature of the tenant's scam and prior history in the latter. They did a little better thematically connecting the dots with the tenant plot than the prison visit, though.

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still can't believe Tina Majorino was that little girl from Waterworld.

I do like the playful dialogue among the 3 subplots, even if Veronica does appear to be 3 faces of Veronica depending on the situation. For some reason, I liked the cutaway of zombie Veronica snacking away as Wallace gets a talking-to by his mom.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
11/30/04

So Keith gets a case to investigate a rich family's son (schoolmate of Veronica's) who is involved in a cult-like organization, and Keith warns Veronica to not go snooping around, so of course Veronica goes undercover to get the lowdown on the cult.

Veronica also tricks Keith into giving her a small sample of his blood for a DNA test so she'll know if she's Jake Kane's daughter or not.

The narration quips while Veronica is undercover at the cult "compound" were pretty funny, and Veronica gets caught by Keith since he also goes undercover to plant some bugs, and he reams her out for placing herself in that position, but she really doesn't think this "cult" is a harmful one, and eventually, neither does Keith.

It turns out the son is bankrolling the cult's cash crop, poinsettas, and his family wants him out of the cult as he stands to inherit the family fortune from his grandmother, who suffers a stroke and dies a few days later. Veronica fears for the worse as the son's family appears to kidnap him after the funeral, but he turns up at school with a new sports car, and has his "tude" back, so perhaps his family made good on getting him de-programmed.

Veronica gets the results back from the DNA lab, and decided in the middle of the night to shred the sealed envelope, waking up Keith in the process, but it was something she had to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks