What's new

Veronica Mars season 1 (ongoing thread) (1 Viewer)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Paris was bad, but she wasn't in it enough to annoy me too much. This morning, a local radio station replayed the audio from the computer lab scene then launched into an attack on her lack of acting ability. I was just hoping Veronica was going to get to kick the crap out of her. Alas.

Definitely, the strong parts of the show are Veronica's PI work, her relationship with her Dad, and the mystery around the death of her friend. The high-school part of the show I'm still up in the air about. The whole motorcycle gang v the rich kids thing will get old soon. I like Veronica's flagpole friend, but she is going to need more of a high school life for the high school part of the show to get moving. The new charcter is interesting (who was that actor?) and from the previews there might be something starting again with Duncan. (That was quick!) I'm also glad to see Bayliss from Homicide back on TV. What's up with him and V's Mom?

I really like this character and I really want to like this show. Anyone else watching?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I like it, although episode 2 wasn't quite up to the pilot. My basic worry is how long they can string this murder mystery out without it becoming unnecessarily convoluted; they really should look at it as a Buffy-style one-year storyline and then come up with another macrostory for next year, if it gets that far (it apparently got it's butt handed to it in the ratings again last night).

I also know that two episodes in, I already like Veronica Mars more than I ever liked Buffy Summers. I think UPN needs to find a new place on the schedule for the show pretty quick, though, as it seems to be the odd man out among teen-led shows in that period (after One Tree Hill and Clubhouse). I'm not sure where I'd put it to give it a better chance of success; maybe switch it with Kevin Hill? There seems to be some entrenched show for Veronica's target audience everywhere else on the schedule.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Sami, I know who you mean - Nancy Drew!

That was my first thought watching this, but it quickly changed. There was anothr show something like this that was on about 5 years ago. I think it was on USA, and I think that the high-school girl was a redhead, but I'm not sure on that.

Anyway, I liked it a lot more than I figured, and will keep it on Tivo. It is possible that the murder mystery will arc through the entire year before getting resolved. They could skip it now and then while they are on other cases.

If they keep up the high-school stuff it could get really funny. The locker checks were a riot, as well as the fire in the police property room. There is a hint of Grace from 'Joan of Arcadia' in her too, which should be interesting to develop.

Glenn

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I like the show. My only problem with it is that she seems to have gotten over getting drugged and raped to easily. She seems to miss her old friends more than she's concerned one or more of them may have done it.

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
I like it a lot, I thought the idea of the show sounded stupid and not the kind of thing I'd normally watch..but I did watch the first one and thought it was very good.

And Sami, you kidding? Kristen Bell is HOT. And it sucks that there will be no NHL on TV..I've subscribed to NHL Center Ice the past 2 years..oh well.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Some people like the Bose sound, some don't. It's all subjective and that girl doesn't do anything for me.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
A rerun already? I was very disappointed. Did they not want to go up against the debate and the Yankees?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Exactly. It was a late change, but my Tivo caught it and didn't record. I was curious until I checked the program guide and the episode description for what had been this week's show was listed for next week's show.

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/12/04 "Meet John Smith"

This was an okay episode, with many subplots getting started (Veronica's dad and the lady from her school possibly hooking up, but with Paul Marshall on the show, she be the kiss of death for pretty much all the shows she appears on, this doesn't bode well).

Veronica's ex-boyfriend might be going off his anti-depressant meds. He was acting a little off-the-wall, but then cooled off on Veronica again.

Veronica appears to have a boyfriend in the new guy that keeps sniffing around her.

The actual case of finding John Smith wasn't all that interesting. Even the big reveal wasn't all that shocking (then again, I saw Nip/Tuck's season finale last week, but I can't say I'd been all that shocked if I hadn't).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's just really, really good TV. Aside from the "hey, Paula Marshall" thing, the week's PI story was good enough, showing Veronica as smart but not better-than-the-adults. The subplot with Duncan Kane was quite well-done, and the hallucination properly freaky. I also like that they're not trying to force every character in where they really don't fit.

My only real complaint about the show is that a most of the guys look awful similar, making it tough for me to keep which one's the good one and which one's the jerk.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
I think "Logan" is the name of the jerk. Can't remember the name of the new flame.

The shocker was a bit of a shocker to me. Funny that they got a woman to play a transexual/former man. Wasn’t that Melissa Leo, aka Kay Howard from Homicide? Is there a connection between the makers of HLOTS and VM?

This was pretty good. Enjoyed how the John Smith case paralleled Veronica's situation with her mom, in some ways at least. Also good to see that some of the students at her school acknowledge that Veronica is hot. She seems to have her own fanboys. Preview for next week looks like they're pulling an Alias with Veronica in the Sydney-esque wig.

The overall mystery did not get advanced very much. There was the enigmatic message in Duncan's hallucination. Does anyone remember exactly what his sister said? Couldn't quite catch it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I guess the writers didn't want to push their luck with the video pick of "The Crying Game" over "Body Heat".
biggrin.gif

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
biggrin.gif
Good one Patrick. I thought this was a bit obscure for a young kid. Body Double would have worked too.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
quote:The overall mystery did not get advanced very much. There was the enigmatic message in Duncan's hallucination. Does anyone remember exactly what his sister said? Couldn't quite catch it.
Well, it doesn't have to - they've got 22 episodes (hopefully) to work on it, and if advanced very much in each of them, it would become a hopelessly convoluted mess. Of course, if you're not going to do a reveal on the mystery, it's good to have decent done-in-one stories, too; otherwise, you're on the path to Buffy's last season.

I think the message was just that Duncan knew things didn't fit together; I gather the implication is that he knows some detail that he never told Sherrif Mars.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I thought it was a bit odd that Veronica was able to get a letter out to "Julia" Smith by looking up her current address under her former name of "John" Smith. They indicated that she had been going by "Julia" for quite some time

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks